Thursday, February 4, 2010

Life, death....and unanswered questions.


Something profoundly sad and tragic happened in our neighbourhood this week....something so sad that I am hesitant posting about it.
It is heart wrenching...I'll be brief.

A young girl took her own life, the family lives across the street, the police were knocking on doors, the police dogs were checking the neighbourhood for clues...she was found, but too late.

Many questions remain, many will be unanswered.

I left a bouquet of flowers and a note at their front door, it is too soon to disturb, and I was unprepared should I confront the grieving parents.

I cannot fathom the depth of grief they are experiencing and I want to scream out "WHY?"

Are there lessons to be learned here?
Did this young girl fall beneath the radar at school?
Could we as a society have prevented this?
How did we fail her?

It takes a village to raise a child.
African Proverb



3 comments:

LPC said...

So sad. So sorry.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

LPC- There are many gathered at the home, I spoke with a friend and there is a "tag team" of friends comforting the family around the clock, a vigil of sorts, it is so very sad. I am searching my memory bank for references of anything amiss and can find none.

Semi Expat said...

Oh how terrible and so very, very sad for them and for you all as a neighbourhood too. Am so sorry.