Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Saturday shopping finds...

Lovely daughter and I hopped in the car bright and early Saturday morning to head out for a day of thrift shopping.
We were hoping to hit all our favourites before mid afternoon...


I have lots of "stuff" so I am very particular what I bring home.
These blue suede shoes were in such great shape with very little wear that I opted to take them home.
I think they'll be a nice change from ballet flats with my boyfriend jeans.


Cole Haan is a reputable maker of quality leather goods so there is very little risk involved...
besides the fact that the price was about the same as a grande latte from Starbucks!


I realized that I have a Dior mens shirt in the exact same shade of blue which is tunic length 
add a strand or two of pearls and some leggings and I'm good to go.

~ ~ ~

Lovely daughter found all kinds of mid century moderne treasures...
she is contemplating starting up an etsy shoppe.
She and my BFF's daughter are friends and they rented a stall at a local vintage market to test the market.
There seems to be quite the demand for Danish teak, West German pottery, Finnish and Swedish glassware
among the younger generation.
Several shops focusing exclusively on this era have popped up and seem to be doing a healthy business.


~ ~ ~


I did find a book to keep here in The Humble Bungalow for our grand daughter Isla to read when she visits.
These "beginner books" are a great way to introduce reading and colour concepts.
Isla knows her colours and is happy to count out loud
build tall towers with blocks 
(before knocking them down and giggling!)
and loves to sit and have a story read to her.

Grammy decided that it is prudent to always have a stash of juice, goldfish crackers and fruit leather on hand.
You never know when that sweet red head will pop by for a visit.

~ ~ ~

Chester has been quite well behaved and patient with her despite just being a kitten himself.
Which of course is a huge relief as one never knows how animals will behave around busy little children.
Pepper on the other hand just finds a place to hunker down and go to sleep.


I wonder if there is a Go Cat Go book...

I'll post more about the birthday weekend next time.

Do you have any favourite children's books?
I would love to hear from you
Isla will be turning 3 in June and her Grammy does love books.

~ ~ ~
Hostess

18 comments:

Kristien62 said...

The shoes are a great color and a great find. As I've said before, I wish we had thrift stores as fabulous as yours.

One of my favorite books is a nursery rhyme book by Richard Scarry called Best Nursery Rhymes Ever. My boys always enjoyed it growing up as does my granddaughter, Jasmine. I found my copy online.

Adrienne Shubin said...

Great shoe find! I never ever find shoes while thrifting. I don't even bother looking because it seems like a waste of time for me.
Love that Dior men's shirt! Will look stunning with pearls and your new shoes.
Give lots of pats to Pepper and Chester for me!

mette said...

Ok, it was your birthday weekend, so understand the shopping : ).
It´s been such a long time I´ve viewed children´s books, that unfortunately I am not much help on this one, sorry (;

Sheree said...

The Cat in the Hat!

Lisa said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday! The shoes are marvelous, what a lucky find.
They look so beautiful paired with the pearls (love the shape of them) and the shirt.

Marilyn Leslie said...

I love the shoes, such a pretty color. As for childrens' books I can think of two: "Chicka-Chika-Boom-Boom" and "Ten Little Monkeys". The illustrations are colorful and little ones have a lot of fun reading along with you!

Sunday Taylor said...

Angelina Ballerina are a great series of books. My daughter loved then when they were young.

Duchesse said...

Awww, choosing books for a grandchild is *the best* deliciousness. Then, holding her on your lap and seeing the wonder in her face. Lucky you!

Madame Là-bas said...

I love Kevin Henkes' Lily and the Purple Plastic Purse or Chrysanthemum. My own favourite children's books (but they are too old just yet) are Miss Rumphius and anything by Patricia Polacco. (especially The Keeping Quilt). Jan Brett for the artwork and the borders. Eric Carle. Maybe I shouldn't have retired because I loved working with children's books.

dannie said...

What a scoop getting those amazing shoes!

One of my favourite books was "Hug"--I Jez Alborough. It is simple and darling--you'll love it too!

KSL said...

Was going to recommend those too - same age daughters. I still love them.

KSL said...

I'm going to recommend an old book that was my favorite as a very young child called "Pantaloon". It's about a French poodle who wants to be a baker in Paris - so charming, and I did find it recently on Amazon. I think your granddaughter is about the right age for it too.
Nice color shoes and I love the men's shirt. Mid century modern is very popular here too among the "younger" group. I'm sure her Etsy store would do very well.

materfamilias said...

At 3, mine loved The Elephant and the Bad Baby, Mr. Gumpy's Outing, Each Peach Pear Plum. . . and so did I. . . and now Nola does as well, and soon Harriet will join in. I can't resist Vancouver KidsBooks and now Nola and I have a new bunch of favourites whose names, sadly, I can't remember. Another classic by the author of Go Dog Go, of course, is Are You My Mother. . .

Leanne said...

So loving the shoes....you have such the knack for finding gems in the thrift stores :) When my children were toddlers they both loved "Love You Forever" I still get teary eyed when reading that book.
Happy belated Birthday Day!

Judith said...

You are having a love affair with blue shoes,liked the blue espadrilles you showed which will also go with your purchases,enjoy.Ida

frugalscholar said...

A long time ago, I posted a list of favorite children's books compiled by my son and his college friends. I will try to find it.

Check out the Chinaberry catalog for recommendations(also online)--the owner really knows what's she's doing.

JudyMac said...

A favorite of my daughter, some 30 or so years ago, was P. D. Eastman's little book called "Are You My Mother?" It's about a little bird who has fallen out of the nest and goes on a search to find its parents. Of course there is a happy ending. Great read-to book for your daughter's little one.

Jo-Anne said...

Red Is Best, the best kids' book ever!