Monday, February 10, 2014

Skincare Tonics ~ Caudalie

Perhaps I have been living under a rock but until Christmas day I had never heard of the fabulous French skin care line Caudalie. My son and his gorgeous wife gave me a Caudalie gift package that was made up of make up remover cleansing water, Beauty Elixir, hand and nail cream, anti-oxidant lip conditioner and divine oil.
I am over the moon with these exquisite potions.


Caudalie products are made without the use of harsh chemicals.
Sephora carry their line of products and you can read the reviews online.
They are very popular and come highly recommended by skin care guru's.

I've been test driving these new products and am very happy with the results.
I am particularly excited about the Divine oil.


(you can see the telltale signs of rosacea on my cheeks)

I went to my Yoga class without any foundation just a quick swipe of mascara and some pink lip butter.

Feeding one's face is as much about nutrition and hydration as it is about product.
Janet at The Gardener's Cottage swears by Olive oil and she is an esthetician.
I love her blog, she eats vegan and posts many wonderful recipes as well as her thrifty thoughts on shopping.
I'd love to meet up with her someday.

Here's my power packed Kale Salad.
It is my go to lunch these days.
Full of anti-oxidants and vitamins.

~ ~ ~



Humble Bungalow Kale Salad

Wash and spin kale dry in a salad spinner.
Cut out the big inner rib and tear into bite size pieces.
Put into a large salad bowl with sliced peppers, shaved carrots, cucumber cubes, a handful of dried cranberries, 
1/3 cup chopped pecans and 1/2 cup goat feta cheese.
Toss with healthy dressing.

~ ~ ~



Healthy Dressing

In a blender mix

1/4 cup each sesame seeds, tahini
1/2 cup olive oil
2/3 cup lemon juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
1 cup water
1 large garlic clove
pinch of sea salt
sliver of fresh ginger grated
1/4 cup of honey

Process until smooth store in fridge and dress serving size portions of Kale salad.
Keeps for several weeks in the fridge.

Shake well or stir before serving.
I make this ahead and keep on hand for quick lunches.
(My sister uses this dressing as a marinade for chicken)


Good nutrition, plenty of water, a good night's sleep, exercise, and reduced stress all play a role in health.

  Our skin seems to reflect some of our bad habits or negligence.
Think of it as your calling card.

We have all met women who radiate beauty and good health.
 Their devotion to exercise and nutrition seem to be the ticket.
This has been very evident with quite a few women I have met at The Hemma Yoga Studio.
Most are well into their 70's and the instructors who radiate calm and peace tell me they are vegan or vegetarians.

I've gone back to Yoga because I had noticed some stiffness in my neck and joints.
Flexibility is something that we lose as we age if we don't keep stretching we lose it.
Walking is great but not enough.
After 75 minutes of Hatha Yoga at the studio I feel so much calmer and surprisingly rested.
On the days that I go to Yoga I sleep much deeper and longer than the days that I don't go.
Better than any medicine, Yoga has far reaching benefits.

You don't need to go to the studio to practise Yoga.
You can cocoon and go through the poses on your Yoga mat in the comfort and privacy of your own home.

I have tried to practise at home but my cats will not leave me alone.
Something is rather fishy... it's my Yoga mat.


I lay my mat out in the hobby room on the shag carpet.


Someone has been trying to catch a fish!


Whoever it was had very sharp claws...
and it happened so fast.
I was in the Warrior pose and obviously not doing a very good job defending my territory.
I suppose I'll need to find another mat at some point.
 The gals at the studio are still laughing about my cats trying to catch the fish.
They smirk everytime I unfurl it and I do smile when I catch them looking.
It might just be another connection...so be it.

~ ~ ~

"It's been my experience that the longer I do yoga, the more I want to know, the more I am able to understand and the less judgmental I am."

~ Ali MacGraw ~

Let's hope the week ahead will unfold like a beautiful butterfly...
who knows what we might uncover.


24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your skin looks amazing Hostess! And so trim in your yoga pants. Congratulations on your achievement and motivation to get so healthy and fit. Love the cat action. Tonkath

Coulda shoulda woulda said...

Your skin really is glowing. The walks and yoga is doing its thing. Caudalie is very nice and I find in Europe anyway it is priced at a fair price point. That kale slaw/salad looks very good. Might be a good way to start adding it in although I heard too much can affect thyroid conditions. I recall you mention you had a thyroid issue - this link might be of interest to you as I dont know if you are hyper or hypo.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03192/Hypothyroidism.html

Patricia said...

Hi Naomi, I'm glad you mentioned this, I've read about this too.

Hostess - your skin looks so beautiful! You are obviously on the right track!

Kristien62 said...

I think you read my mind. I was just on the Sephora website trying to find natural products and it was not easy to do. I will look at the Caudalie brand next time I am there. After reading Janet's blog, I've become concerned about the chemicals we happily slather on our skin in the name of beauty. Having had cancer, I am so much more aware of this. I began using olive oil with a little lavender oil for scent on my skin and so far, so good. But I can't imagine this in summer.

That salad looks yummy and the dressing is without vinegar which I don't care for. I must try it.

My yoga class is suspended until March because the zero and below zero temps drive up the cost of heating at the church where we practice. We can't use the space until temps modulate and I truly miss the class. Hurry Spring!

Duchesse said...

That is too funny about your yoga mat! ("Why do these fish so rubbery?") I have practiced for 40 years, and yoga is important to my overall wellness

Cathy said...

Very brave of you to take of photo of yourself in your yoga leggings; you look great!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I really like all of the natural oils, currently I am trying Josie Maran's pure Argan oil. I will have to see if my local Sophora carries Caudalie so I can try it next.

I love yoga and go to class several times a week, it is not only relaxing but physically beneficial. I love your yoga mat...where did you find it? I can certainly see why the cats want to play with it. (-:

LPC said...

I have not been able to find a yoga class I like around here, which is very sad. So I'm trying a personal trainer, to get my strength and flexibility back up, and then maybe can try the more advanced classes and look for a good teacher in that level!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. I had such a good laugh at your cats trying to catch the fish on your yoga mat! I have been doing yoga on and off (mostly on) for the last 12 years and find I begin to seize up without it. I love it. Your skin looks radiant. Cheers, Violet.

Madame Là-bas said...

You are looking very youthful and healthy these days. Isn't retirement great?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I bought it years ago at Winners which is similar to Marshalls. I looked online and saw some fun ones at matsmatsmats.com.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I have read that certain veggies interfere with thyroid function but I love the taste of brussell sprouts, broccoli and kale. The article is food for thought though...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Our Saturday class was freezing! The instructor had us get extra blankets and we were encouraged to do as many poses covered up as possible...we even draped the blankets over our legs when they were up the wall!
You must be really looking forward to Spring.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The thing I like most about Yoga is that it is very much an individual practise and in each pose there are ways to push yourself a bit farther. Hiring a personal trainer sounds like a sensible way to get fit...hope that you are enjoying yourself in the process.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It does make a difference doesn't it?
BTW I love your name...it sounds so feminine.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Foir me personally the best thing about being retired is spending time with my grandchildren and focusing on getting healthy and fit after years of bad habits and rotten time management!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, when working full time there is often not much time left to manage! Hard to fit it all in but I try!

Sandra Sallin said...

You are an inspiration. I am so in awe of your weight loss. I don't have that much to loose but I can't seem to get with it. I also admire your photography, cooking and shopping. You have a lovely sense of style that is perfect for our age. :) I have not gotten into yoga. Love walking though. But I keep on getting surgery for basal cell cancer on my face and that puts me out of commision for weeks on end. No exercising. Oh well, you look great.

the gardener's cottage said...

thank you for the mention hostess. :) your skin looks positively radiant!

i hope to be one of those *old* ladies at my yoga studio who are well into their 80's and as flexible as a rubber band. xo

Jeannine said...

I've never taken a yoga class, but have read many books and watched and followed along with yoga shows on PBS. I've taken what I've learned and practice what works for me. I feel the same as you, Violet - I being to seize up without it!

Jeannine said...

Oops - should be "begin to seize up". Good grief.

Anonymous said...

Hostess,
I have rosacea, as well. Cerave products seem to be nice and gentle. But, the Caudalie may be helpful. I'll check them out on Sephora. In January, I had the capillaries on my face lasered with a laser called V-Beam. It helped and might help more with another treatment. However, my face was swollen for about 10 days. Not fun, that part.

Yoga sounds good. I used to like it. Maybe I'll try it again.

Nice blog, by the way.

sandpiper girl said...

So enjoy your blog! I am interested in trying your recipes. Do you have a WW point calculation handy for the dressing?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I have no accurate WW calculation on the dressing...it is not the lowest dressing one might choose though. For low WW points I use Paul Newman's lite Thai dressing and use one tablespoon.