Thursday, October 29, 2020

OOTD...a focus on the classics

 

 ~ OOTD ~

Shirts with Jeans

My current uniform 
on rotation here in The Humble Bungalow.


New white shirt from Old Navy
worn here with classic pearls.

When I was working 
White shirts were worn a lot and I owned several in different styles.
Worn tucked into black pants and simple skirts.

On Fridays we wore jeans.
I paired my white shirt with a soft wool blazer, jeans and loafers.
Accessorized with faux pearls...

One Christmas several decades ago, my parents gave me a lovely pair of genuine pearl studs.
( I still have them and wear them often)
One Valentine's Day, a few years later, my husband gave me a strand of Akoya pearls.

I love pearls
My Mom loved pearls too.

When I wear my pearls I always think of Mom.

Mom wore her baroque long opera length pearls almost everyday.
The necklace was a gift to her one Christmas from my father.

Do you wear pearls?

Have you a classic white shirt in your wardrobe?

I also love denim and chambray shirts.
I have two...

I am wearing one right now with my pearls.


This shirt has all the details that make it a classic and yet it is budget friendly.

Keeping a white shirt white is tricky.

If I get a mark on it
 I spray it with my pink grapefruit Method brand cleaner 
gently scrub with a soft brush before popping it into the wash.

I hang my shirts to dry and smoothe out the edges when they are damp.
Ironing carefully after they are dry.


I wear an apron when I am cooking and cleaning.
It saves my clothes from stains.

I love this linen one from Rough Linen.

It was an early Covid purchase.


Pope John Paull II white rose
blooming in The Humble Bungalow Garden.

White is such an elegant shade...

(White shirt quotes)

"You can wear them with anything. 
It's the person and the way that they wear it 
that makes it different. 
I have been designing white shirts forever, 
but I don't get tired of it." 

~ Carolina Herrera ~



"The white blouse can be light and floating, impeccable and austere, sumptuous and all-enveloping, tight and close-fitting. 

It rises up to frame the face. 

It sculpts the body by transforming itself into a second skin. 

Imputed with glamour and poetry, freedom and impetuousness, the prim white shirt turns out to have a thousand identities." 

                                 ~ Gianfranco Ferre ~


How will you style your shirt?
The important thing is having fun with your creative accessories.

A scarf
necklace
brooch
collar up? or buttoned up?
maybe opened up?
 as a layering piece over a camisole or top.

The White Shirt is a versatile classic
a worthy workhorse in every wardrobe.


Thank you for stopping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

15 comments:

Madame La-Bas said...

I have a white linen blouse that has a bit of decoration on it. I used to wear it for "dress" but now I wear it with black skinny jeans. I've got a mabe pearl necklace and grey pearl earrings.
Aprons protect clothing so there is really no need to wear "work" clothes.

Francie Newcomb said...

Hello, Hostess, I enjoy your blog and this is my first comment. I do like white shirts, especially with pearls, and with the current weather I wear them with a silk undershirt and a sweater.

Lorrie said...

White shirts are staples. I'm still looking for the perfect one. Your pearls are always lovely.

Patricia said...

I love white shirts too, and think they work well in a hot climate, usually in linen. As I type, I am wearing a sleeveless white linen shirt, as it was 33c here today. White shirts are always in my wardrobe, usually two or three at a time, and are worn with sweaters in Winter, and shorts or as a beach coverup in Summer. I do love pearls, but find them a bit formal to wear in my casual everyday world. My mother's pearls are my treasure too.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I like those grey mabe pearls and with your soft grey hairstyle it must be a flattering combination.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Coincidentally Francine I am wearing a black silk chemise with a lacey hem detail that hangs below my black cashmere sweater! Cozy yet fun!
Take care

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

There are several styles at Old Navy where I purchased mine...happy hunting!
I had an incredibly beautiful crisp white Countess Mara shirt that I wore for years but it eventually wore out...mens shirts are always an option.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Sounds like you are enjoying some warm weather! Linen is a super fabric for spring and summer. A longer lightweight white shirt would make a great cover up! I like that idea...I may buy one for next summer!
Stay safe.

A Lovely Inconsequence said...

I love your pearls,especially with the small necklace.

Dana said...

White shirts and pearls are staples in my wardrobe. I have pearl stud earrings that I wear everyday. Love my white shirts with jeans and a blazer, with a simple or fancy skirt- I even wore one once to a black tie event with a silk maxi skirt!. Sometimes I layer them over a camisole, and during colder months- over a tissue thin turtleneck. You can never ever go wrong with pearls and white shirts. They both look gorgeous on you!!

Share my Garden said...

I felt rather sad as I read this post, Hostess, because all my pearls (apart from some grey stud earrings, which the thief obviously thought weren't real!) were stolen a few years ago. They were bound up with family connections; my grandmother's three strand necklace, my single strand necklace from a much-loved uncle for my 21st and so forth. Irreplaceable in emotional terms. In their place I have only bought some pearl drop earrings and a necklace of large cultured pearls, quite unlike the pieces that I lost.
I LOVE white shirts and have many - pleated, plain, you name it! I am also a pinny person and own several, a denim one for messy jobs and a white one from Betty's cookery school in which I like to think I look professional!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

White shirts and pearls are so elegant. I love how you have styled these together.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am sorry to hear of the theft of your family heirlooms. We were burgled years ago and all my jewelry was stolen. Faux pearls or cultured look wonderful with crisp white shirts. No one can probably tell the difference.

La Contessa said...

LOVED GIANFRANCO FERRE ITEMS...........TO LOOK AT!!!
COLLAR ALWAYS UP ON WHITE SHIRTS!
XX

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Collar up! I like this effect too as it draws the eye up and showcases the pearls !!
Men’s shirts are an affordable option to consider when wearing a crisp white shirt.