Monday, December 9, 2019

Using what is on hand...


The garden is very dormant this month.
I don't have an opportunity to pick fresh flowers
to bring inside...

There are oodles of these dried limelight hydrangeas outside 
in a lovely faded sepia shade
just right for the arts and crafts hammered copper vase in the dining room.


The fairy lights stay up all year.
I've added some silver stars that I purchased about 10 years ago.


The wreath is from my husband's family.
It was made by a friend of his mom's around 1960
using rhinestone brooches
and 
Christmas tree decorations.


It's dim in the dining room 
so it might be difficult to see the wee Noel sign on the cabinet.


A flock of Ojibwa tamarack duck decoys 
sitting perched upon an arts and crafts copper tray.
The wee battery operated copper lights were purchased several years ago.

I've been toying with the idea of putting up a small tree in the kitchen 
but I think the cats would rip it to shreds !

As you may have gathered we don't over decorate.
It's mostly because of the mischievous felines that reside here with us!

I've still got some baking and shopping to get done for Christmas...
 I am pacing myself to avoid unnecessary stress.

Keeping things simple just feels right.

We received a call from a long time family friend tonight that there has been a death in our circle...
it's been an emotional evening to say the least.

We have spent the past few hours recalling all the memories...
life is to be cherished.

How are your holidays preparations coming along?
Try not to get stressed...

Take Care 

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

10 comments:

Jen Lawrence said...

What a wonderful wreath! We gifted my Godmum Tamarack ducks when we visited her in England when I was younger. I find them very cheerful. I love peeking into people's homes at the holidays, so thank you for sharing yours!

Sheila said...

I would love to see a close-up of that wreath! What a great idea to use old ornaments and brooches.

Sigh, I haven't put up my two Christmas trees for nine years due to a scamp of a feline in our house! I miss my trees, but I have the tree at work, right near my desk, so I get my "fix." I love your subtle decorations, L.

So sorry to hear about the death in your circle, my dear. Hold close to the ones you love, and enjoy living in the moment. *hugs*

Jeannine said...

Condolences on your loss. I love your simply and glowing style of decorating. Just the right touch.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

These ducks are quite easy to find here at thrift and consignment shops...they used to be sold at The Royal BC Museum Gift Shop and were quite expensive. I like them and have far too many but they seem to be quite "at home" here in our arts and crafts bungalow.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

OK I will take a close up photo...are you on Instagram by any chance? I am as Hostess of The Humble Bungalow. I may post it there soon.

The fellow who passed away was older and had been on dyalasis for years. He leaves a long time wife and 3 children as well as grandchildren...he was amazing human being always thinking of others and would lend a hand to anyone in need. We adored him and his attitude was positive even in difficult times...a wonderful role model fo all of us.

Thank you Sheila.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The white lights do add warmth to the dark wood interiors...and they go with everything.

Thank you for your kind thoughts Jeannine.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

It looks perfect, everything is so appropriate for your home. The twinkle lights are my favorite. I am lucky with Miss Twiggley, for some reason she ignores all of the decorations.

Merry Christmas

Patricia said...

So sorry to hear of your loss, it is always a shock when it comes. Memories are so precious. Your decorations are beautifully suited to your cottage. I really love the wreath and the idea of using rhinestone brooches combined with Christmas baubles. This is a precious heirloom. I am decorating too, and culling old pieces as I go this year. We have a big family gathering here this week, so the focus is on food preparation and keeping everyone cool in our very hot Summer!

stacey said...

Life is precious. I always think of the phrase, even in the midst of life we are in death, not as something morbid, but as an acceptance and as a reminder to be grateful for all our days of living. Your cottage is so homey and sweet. One of the greatest gifts we can give ourselves and those we love is the sense of home and comfort. I hope your friend's wife and family find peace and healing.

robb said...

I love your simply and glowing style of decorating
12 idées agréables de décoration pour rendre les jours de l'hiver plus beaux