Thursday, December 19, 2019

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!


Seasons greetings!

As I am whittling down my to do list 
getting ready for the holidays 
 finding myself extra busy
fatigue will surface.

If I am not careful I can feel the stress of trying to do it ALL.

Inner pressure to be the "perfect hostess"
 serve elaborate and tasty meals
keep up appearances
wanting
 a "picture perfect" home.

I need to remind myself not to set the bar too high.

Readjust my thought patterns...

Keep it simple
slow down
breathe
relax.


Candles are one of the things that help set a relaxed mood...
I light these festive reindeer votives in the morning when I sit and sip my coffee and 
again later in the afternoon with my tea.

Music is also a powerful mood shifter...

if I need energy I play some lively tunes from my teen years
if I am looking for calm I usually play a classical piece.

One of my favourites is Barber's Adagio for Strings
you can hear it performed by the Detroit Symphony

I feel like I could just float away when I listen to the music.

The gifts are purchased and wrapped.
The tree is up...


Soon
festive tins will be filled 
with shortbread, dried fruit dipped in chocolate, and cookies.

Our dinner menu is in the planning stage.

Leisurely mulling over cookbooks
slowly turning the pages
 looking at the pictures 
 what to cook?


The Humble Bungalow is dressed up very simply...

Grapevine wreath wound with fairy lights in our family room.

Hope that you are savouring the wee moments
that make up your days.

We can start by
inviting
Peace and Quiet 
into our hearts and our homes.

I like this quote it sums up  what I am thinking.

“No person, no place, and no thing has any power over us, 
for 'we' are the only thinkers in our mind. 
When we create peace and harmony and balance in our minds, 
we will find it in our lives.”

~ Louise L. Hay ~

Wishing you a calm and meaningful holiday.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

16 comments:

Jeannine said...

Thanks for that quote, Leslie. Merry Christmas.

LPC said...

Wishing you peace and good cheer in this holiday season. (I haven't even started wrapping presents;), you're doing great.)

beth b said...

Love your style, lady!

Lisa Thomson said...

I feel more relaxed having stopped by your blog today. Thanks for the share. Merry Christmas to you!

KSL said...

I'll be curious what you decide to make for Christmas dinner this year. As we celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas, and this year they're sort of on top of each other, it's been a bit more stressful, and planning more difficult. It's a beautiful and correct quote, I think I'm going to print it and carry it around with me....xo

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The quote is a powerful reminder for us all that we are in control of our feelings...and our attitude towards life.
Holiday wishes to you!
XO

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I used to leave all the wrapping until Christmas Eve and it was a lot of work! Now I wrap as soon as I bring a gift home. The joys of retirement!
Sending you warm wishes for a wonderful holiday.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you Beth! Hope you find peace and calm throughout your week.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Merry Christmas Lisa.
Hope your holidays are Merry and bright.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am going to cook a small turkey and bake some salmon. Side dishes will be carrots with a maple syrup glaze, peas, and my traditional whipped potato bake, cranberries with orange zest, gravy and flaky butter buns. Dessert by request of the grandchildren will be cupcakes and ice cream...a very non traditional dessert! The quote really speaks to me too! A timely reminder which I will read each day...
Enjoy your celebrations and family Kathy
XO

Jen Lawrence said...

That looks so peaceful. What a lovely start to the holiday!

Madame Là-bas said...

It's wonderful for the family to have a simple Christmas. I used to find the overly orchestrated Christmas celebrations tiresome even as a child. Keep up your peaceful and relaxed attitude!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Finished up my shopping list for Christmas Eve dinner today. I like to start way ahead that way I don't get too tired to enjoy the holiday. This year it will be a ham dinner served buffet style with lots of sides. Merry Christmas!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

There’s so much energy in the shops today. I purchased most of the groceries and will buy the fresh buns on Christmas Eve Love hearing Christmas music and seeing excited children and the smiling faces on the shoppers.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Keeping it simple means I have more time to be “present “ and in the moment. I will make a few side dishes ahead so that I am not in the kitchen too long.
I remember the big family gatherings at my grandparents home when I was really young. There would be about 30 people sitting at the tables ! Children sat at a smallish table and when you were 12 or 13 you could sit with the adults. It was an Edwardian style home with pocket doors to the living room so they used both rooms and I think they put two dining tables together. The women were super busy cooking and serving and then the dishwashing
A lot of effort went into those meals and it was rather magical.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I love a glazed ham! Your buffet sounds like a lovely idea and your guests will be so appreciative!
Happy holidays !