Thursday, December 5, 2019

Festive sparklers...and a trip to Vancouver.


Tis the festive season and I like to add some sparkle to my outfits.


Vintage Rhinestone Pins


Most of my pins are by the Canadian designer Sherman.
Mom loved her Sherman jewelry.
My father used to buy Sherman for her at Christmas.

Beautiful velvet boxes from Birks.
They usually contained a necklace, bracelet and earrings.
She would wear them with a velvet dress that she made for the holidays.
My sister and I had dresses also made by Mom...
she used the leftover fabric from her dress to sew ours.
All three of us had the same colour of velvet for each Christmas season.
(I have pictures of the three of us all dressed up)


This pin is by the designer Boucher of Paris.
He went on to design for the House of Cartier.

Do you add sparkle to your festive outfits?


This tree is in the square behind The Art Gallery in Vancouver.
We were there to attend a meeting and see friends who just moved into their newly built penthouse condominium.



Painted entrance to their parking garage.


Shopping happens when we visit the city!
I love the Eileen Fisher shop on South Granville.
I met a delightful woman in the shop.
She reads my blog!

I loved her outfit...
black vest, sweater and pants.
Very chic black glasses that many women in Paris wore.

Hope she will email me.
It would be fun to meet up for a chat and a coffee next time I am in Vancouver either before or after I shop in Eileen Fisher or we could shop together!


Casual greyish beige top


Very cozy

I'm wearing it with the black Eileen Fisher pants from last season.


I've got to finish this post quickly as I have a dental appointment.

There is so much to get done in the next few weeks...
baking, shopping, wrapping,  decorating the house.

Hope that we can get some of these jobs done this coming weekend.

How are your festive plans coming along?

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

14 comments:

Jen Lawrence said...

That's so fun to meet up with a reader. I've met some lovely people through blogging over the years. Remember the tables at Birks with the blue boxes at the front of each store? I think they had a few fixed priced levels for various pieces. I remember pouring over them with my aunts looking for treasures. Oh, that brings back memories! Xx

Sheila said...

I always wear my sparkly stuff this time of year (well, you know me, it gets worn all year!). How lovely to have so many Sherman pieces! Did you know that a set (minimum of 3 jewelry pieces) is called a "parure"?

It's so fun when a reader recognizes you! You're a star! Wishing you a peaceful holiday season, L (and a good trip to the dentist).

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I worked at Birks one Christmas and it was a really fun job...helping people find gifts and then wrapping the gifts...my family all got things from Birks that year!
I loved those blue boxes...I still have my silverplated wedding bell container from my ring!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Sparkly pins make me smile! A parure set yes! I do remember hearing that term before.
I love meeting readers! Our shopping day at the VV Boutique years ago is one of the highlights. Best wishes to you Sheila.

Linda Shukri said...

Love the gorgeous jewelry! :-)

La Vie Quotidienne said...

What beautiful jewelry, so sparkly!

KSL said...

I would love to see a few photos of your mom, sister and you in those velvet dresses! I don't wear much sparkle, but love seeing it on others.

Madame Là-bas said...

I love a bit of sparkle too. It can be fashion jewellery but it sets off the holiday season. I was just talking about velvet Christmas dresses the other day. My daughter often had a red velvet dress but there was a year that she had black velour jodhpur-style pants and a white blouse with gold trim. You have lovely memories of your mother. My mother has a streak of disapproval towards all things sparkly. Not much fun but we are all different. That Boucher pin is gorgeous!

marmielu said...

Love your sparkles! They are festive, especially against velvet. I still remember a very special black velvet dress my mother bought for me when I was an early teen. It made me feel so special and elegant.
We are very busy at my home, getting ready for the whole family to come for Christmas. Both my daughters and their families are out of town. It will be crowded, but I’m very excited!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you Linda...I love the sparkles at this time of year....they remind me of my Mom.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Fun and easy to wear...I have even worn them on a denim jacket.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I know we chatted about sparkly jewels once before and you have exquisite taste and I like the pieces that you had custom made. I think her name is Pippa Small.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Can you imagine a genuine diamond brooch in this style and size!!
My mom had many beautiful jewels some were faux and others real stones. She loved accessories...hats, shoes, scarves and I think I inherited her passion for them.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I don't have any velvet in my wardrobe these days...the weight of the older velvet fabrics were much heavier than they are today, and the nap was thicker too.
Enjoy your busy holidays with your family!