Saturday, June 3, 2017

The bathing suit...

I recognized a lovely young woman pushing her child in a stroller at our local Marshall's store in the mall.
Smiling, vibrant and gorgeous...her name is Leah.

We see each other frequently on Oak Bay Avenue...
she is a fabulous teacher that I worked with at a local Middle School and I think that I can safely say that she is "adorable"...the daughter of an acquaintance.

Leah is one of those energetic and enthusiastic teachers that can inspire and engage students...these are the teachers that we love for so many reasons.
Young and impressionable students' minds need more teachers like Leah.

We exchanged news...
I told her that we were investing in a quarter share of a waterfront cottage on Pender Island. The resort has two pools, a children's play area and there is a marina for our boat.

We are hoping to get the children and grand children over to the cottage for the 2 week summer holidays and we will use it in the off season on our week each month.
Leah mentioned how much she appreciated having a cottage for their family holidays when she was growing up and now that she has two children of her own they are spending time with her parents at the cottage...
making many happy memories.

Leah asked if I had any luck finding anything in the store.
I did!
and I proceeded to swing a garment in my hands high over my head and said with a smile on my face that I had found a swimsuit!

Swimsuit shopping is quite an event...and when it is successful its a win win!

In my experience swimsuit shopping has never been easy...
one needs to try on quite a few to find the best option.



This is the first suit in more than a decade that has not been black. 
I have 2 suits in patterns of black and white...both have seen "better days."


~ Maxine of Hollywood ~
(sounds rather glamorous)

I have never seen this brand of swimwear.
Understandable as there has been a drought of swimwear shopping...
do not even bother to ask why!


How telling...

Obviously other shoppers have similar thoughts
otherwise why would they print a label that speaks to so many of us?

It must be a challenge for the designers of swim wear.
The suits need to fit, cover the "wobbly bits" and make us feel comfortable while wearing them.


I'll be dipping my toes in this pool soon.
I love swimming laps and I find it very relaxing.

It feels so good to tick a big item off the "to do list"
The swimsuit was my least favourite on my list, 
but fortunately it was not that daunting after all.

Summer is just around the corner and I am gathering up some summer reads.


I am almost finished The Madwoman Upstairs and it is an interesting story.

What is on your summer reading list?

Thank you for stopping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.
XO

30 comments:

Pearl said...

Very pretty.

Madame Là-bas said...

That is a lovely bathing suit. I'm sure that you will enjoy having a cottage. My mother-in-law had a summer house on Bowen for many years. It was a great getaway.

Anonymous said...

It is a lovely bathing suit,I agree. I wear a lot of black and navy during the colder months,but than there could be an explosions of colours during the summer for me -or a lot of white,it depends
A summer house will be perfect for you and your family,and with a marina as well-is it far away from where you live?
Right now,I could not imagine how my summer would look like
I plan to finish The Gentleman in Moscow,as well as one of books in Croatian,and Chris Brookmyre's Where the Bodies are Burried (Sue's recommendation). Than there is a new Steve Burrows mistery,and as we don't have Netflix,to start with Anne Cleeves books.
I hope you'll enjoy Fifteen Dogs,I liked it
Dottoressa

Patricia said...

You bathing suit is really pretty, very tropical, and speaks of Summer days...and I for one, would love a garment with a tag 'instant minimizer'. What a great investment, a share in a holiday place, just perfect for family time and with a berth for your boat. Wishing you many happy times there.

materfamilias said...

I loved Fifteen Dogs -- hope you enjoy it as well.
This is the second summer in many years that I've swum on beaches other than "ours," and I'm getting accustomed again to being in a swimsuit among a wider group of people. Right now, on an Adriatic beach with a daughter, g'daughter, and son-in-law, I look around admiring and envying so many Mediterranean folk who seem very comfortable with their bodies, more concerned about enjoying sun and sea than about how they look in a suit. Such a variety of shapes and sizes and ages, and they seem so relaxed and unself-conscious. Something for me to work on, I guess. . . ;-)
Your new suit is very attractive, and I know you're going to have such good times at your new cottage.

Rosie said...

Gorgeous new swimsuit Leslie ...and congratulations! It really is hard to find the right one! I'm guilty of wearing black! I love the idea of having a "summer house" to spend long sunny days with your children and grandchildren. I also have dreams of a chalet in the mountains where we can all go together. I haven't forgotten about sharing my love of Switzerland with you ...Once we're home from travelling (Italy) it's high up on my "to do" list.
Rosie

Margie from Toronto said...

I haven't worn a bathing suit in at least 6 years - purely due to being self-conscious about m weight. The main area of concern is my boobs - I am very well endowed and most bathing suits simply don't keep "the girls" under control! I'm trying to get over this and a friend who is much larger than me but who loves to swim is encouraging me to get back into it. She has found a new pool near to us where they have women only swims so I am trying to pluck up the courage to go.
I love your suit - such a wonderful print!
I've been clearing out a lot of things for a garage sale and today it was the turn of the books - got things sorted and I've also sorted a priority pile of unread books to get to next. I've got the next 3 Louise Penny mysteries to get through - the next two in Jacqueline Winspear's "Masie Dobbs" series and the 4th book in Kelley Armstrong's Cainesville series -once I'm caught up on these books I'll turn to the pile of one-offs that I have!

Anonymous said...

Great summer tropical print suit. As you say, finding the right suit can be a challenge. You lucked out! Congratulations on the summer place. Sounds like a great relaxing get-away.

Lorrie said...

That's a great print on your swimsuit! Your cottage will be a wonderful place to spend time with the family. We've been to that place a couple of times and have thoroughly enjoyed those pools!

Susan said...

Hooray for finding the right swim suit!

Sydney Shop Girl said...

I love the colours of your new bathers and that view of the pool!

SSG xxx

Ellie's friend from canada said...

What a lovely print for your swimsuit. Finding a swimsuit to fit is worse than finding a pair of jeans. I needed a swimsuit and tried my luck with Land's End who have a great selection and wide variety of styles. The one I ordered fit perfectly! No embarrassing hassle of trying it on. They have good sales, too, so it makes up for the exchange differential. Whether your "girls" are large or small, or your bottom round or flat, they have solutions that work! I was so glad not to have the trauma of finding one that fit. Even in my skinny days (how long ago was that?) I still had problems getting jeans and swimsuits to fit!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I found "the bathing suit" 2 years ago. Such a difficult task to accomplish! But at my age and with moving back to NL, the numbers of times I'll even get to wear it make it a lifer! Job accomplished! (PS - Yours is so pretty.)

Anonymous said...

I love the colours, this will be great on you!!!!!
barb

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you...loving flowers as I do I think that pattern just popped out at me!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I hope that we can relax and enjoy the summer cottage...not having to do all the maintenance will be a bonus too.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I saw the picture of you and mater having coffee! How nice to finally put a face to you! Anne Cleeves is a very popular writer...I have read several of her books and enjoyed them.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Tropical indeed! I like the print too.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am reading The light between oceans right now...just started it and already am hooked!
Your holidays look so relaxing and meeting Dottoressa and then having your family there too...you are living such a fabulous adventure!!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I look forward to hearing more form your trip Rosie...do you have a blog? There is so much that you could share with all of us and I would hate to miss out on any of it!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I would suggest bathing suit shopping at Lands' End...they make suits for all sizes and have serious "coverage" for the girls! Body image is so skewed in our society...mater was mentioning above in her comment how comfortable women are on the beaches of the Adriatic. We could take some lessons from them...not everyone is a size zero!
Your efforts for that garage sale will pay off.
Happy reading!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The suit was a true gift...one that I was not expecting which made it even better!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The pools are wonderful and we hope that this cottage will be a place to forge family memories for years to come.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Gosh yes...and I don't feel like a beached whale wearing it!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you SSG!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Jeans are a challenge too...I love the NYDJ line in petites...I need a petite length and dislike the look of having jeans hemmed...and do not currently wear shredded hems...if I did that might be easier!
Swimsuits are more difficult to find than jeans for me though but this one ticked all the boxes!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

If I did not love to swim I would not ever have to buy a bathing suit...but I adore the water and it is relaxing and such great exercise so it is a requirement. I hope I get a few years of wear out of this one.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you Barb...a departure for me from my safe black suits bit a fun change!

Anonymous said...

Dear Hostess,
I discovered "The Light Between Oceans" on the borrowing shelf in the office at the condo we are staying at on holiday in Westerly, Rhode Island. I knew nothing about it, and according to the cover, a movie has already been made of it. I found it such a profound, beautifully descriptive and moving book.
Cheers, Marguerite

beyondbeige said...

Cute suit! I have had great luck with swimsuits for all. They have swim shorts and tops for everybody style. check it out.