Sunday, June 18, 2017

The Quarter Deck Cottage on the edge of The Salish Sea

Mr. HB and I recently purchased a quarter share in a cottage on the water.
Pender Island is one of the smaller islands in The Salish Sea. The cost is modest and we do not need to do any maintenance ourselves so when we are able to use it we can sit back, relax and enjoy the place.


Mr. HB knows that I like to beach comb for heart shaped rocks and while we were at the dock waiting for the ferry he found a vendor selling various rocks 
he inquired, if by chance, she had any heart shaped rocks...
and she did so he surprised me with this one.
XO


Roses picked from The Humble Bungalow Garden made the trip to the cottage.


Arranged and popped into an icy modernist vase 
perfectly scenting the cottage and kitchen.


We brought a few things to personalize the cottage when we have our time here.
There is a locker that we will store the items when we are not in residence.


I found this fish sculpture in an antique shop in Victoria. 
It is originally from the Cayman Islands.


This book was really good.


Deck chairs just waiting for us!


Bubbly to celebrate our first day here...
served in our new Emma Bridgewater etched FIZZ flutes.


Umbrella and cushions found at the Hardware store on the Island.
Books to read while relaxing on the deck.
 The binoculars are MUST to get a closer look at the whales and boats passing by...


Sunhat, sunscreen and sunglasses.


The oar I found in a shop on Fort Street on Antique Row.
I painted and distressed it for the cottage.


Here is the view looking across Otter Bay from Roesland Park.
We walked almost 8 km to visit the Pender island museum only to find out that it was closed! 
Besides we needed to stretch our legs and get some exercise after reading so much!


We sat for a wee bit in the red chairs installed by Parks Canada and took in the glorious views.


These Beaver brand chairs have been placed in the Parks across Canada in honour of our 150th anniversary.


Roes Bay


I swam almost everyday in this pool...
and as our week drew to a close I felt that we had made a good choice to invest in the cottage and resort for our future.
We will look forward to having our family and grandchildren stay here at the cottage making memorable memories.

I hope you enjoyed the wee tour of The Quarter Deck Cottage.

Hostess
XO

31 comments:

Splenderosa said...

Well, this is truly heaven on Earth !!
So happy for you guys. So happy you have Mr. HB with you to enjoy everything. It does make all the difference, having a partner. I would love to come up for a visit !!!!

Rebecca said...

Ah, yes! From all appearances a MOST wise investment. I have a feeling the enjoyment has only begun.

Madame Là-bas said...

Do you remember Waiting for the Whales and Jesse's Island by Sheryl McFarlane, a former
Vancouver Island teacher? Your island retreat reminds me of those books that I loved to read. It's great to be able to bring some of your own things to personalize the space. I read The Light Between the Oceans and really enjoyed it. I'm now reading The Widow by Fiona Barton. You always take such beautiful photos!

GrammaGrits said...

Love your vacation place! I just finished the same book and greatly enjoyed it.

Jeannine said...

What a lovely place! It sounds like you really enjoyed your time there and I've no doubt that you will enjoy it for many, many years to come.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We feel very fortunate...and I keep pinching myself to make sure it is not a dream!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am so looking forward to having the grandchildren here...
I can see them spending many hours in the pool!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I purchased those two books for the grandchildren's basket at the cottage! Also Down at The Seaweed Cafe, and a friend gave us Sea Otter Pup...I am sure that I will find more coastal children's books....if you have any other book titles please let me know.
I must add the Widow to my list...I am reading Michael Crummy's Sweetland right now.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I just passed the book on to a friend...what are you reading now?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The plan is to eventually sell the boat and use this cottage exclusively.
We love the island and have been going there since we were in our teens!

Unknown said...

So very perfect...

Ali

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It feels like a dream come true!

lynns said...

Your personal touches make your place so friendly and relaxing. Lovely spot. We also have sat in the Parks Canada chairs but we just did it in Gros Morne in Newfoundland, high on a hill, overlooking Bonne Bay.
I also really enjoyed 'The Light Between Oceans'. I just finished reading 'A House Without Windows' by Nadia Hashimi and got an insight into Afganistan's justice system wrt women.
Your roses are enviable. Thank you for sharing them via photos!

Jeannine said...

I have a book recommendation for you: Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik. I thought it was quite entertaining.

Madame Là-bas said...

A Morning to Polish and Keep by Julie Lawson. Teachers make the best children's authors.

Patricia said...

Hello Leslie, this looks absolutely heavenly! Can you explain how the quarter share works? Do you get one week a month there?

Ellie's friend from canada said...

I'll be looking for the red Parks Canada chairs. I love your roses. A rose, Feix LeClerc, survived the winter and when I took off the rose cone, it had leaves all over. It bloomed today and has set 8 more buds. You'd almost think we were in Victoria! The cottage looks so enjoyable! I do't know about giving up the boat though... ....

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you for stopping by my wee blog! Those red chairs are dotted across Canada...and they really signify our heritage and 150th.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We have one week each month and two consecutive weeks in the summer...we pay a strata fee each month to cover the maintenance fees that include repairs, taxes and insurance.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The boating life has its limits...one needs to be agile, able to leap, hop and quickly tie up. Not what we can expect to do gracefully into our 70's !

Susan said...

The cottage looks wonderful!!! I know you are going to enjoy it!

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

What a great idea. Well two really. A quarter share and having own items to make it home. I'm sure you have many a happy time there to come.

Anonymous said...

Your cottage looks so beautiful! what a perfect concept!
Can you swimm in the ocean,too?
It would be a perfect place for your whole family
I have "The light..."on my to-read list-thank you for recommendation
I've finished Raven Black from Ann Cleeves and liked it,so,will read more of her books
Dottoressa

Patricia said...

Thank you! This sounds like a very good way to have a cottage without the headaches of maintenance etc.

Anonymous said...

I have a question about your beautiful flowers. Recently, I clipped some peonies from my mother's garden to bring home. When I placed them in a vase on the table I quickly discovered that they were teeming with ants! Do you have any advice about how to prevent little critters from being brought into the home.
We are moving into a new house soon and I'd like to start gardening and also would ask (since you seem to be a master gardener), what flowers are easiest to grow for a novice gardener?
Thank so much! I love your blog!

Jennifer said...

What a glorious spot Leslie!! You've made a very wise choice. Xx

Margie from Toronto said...

Such a beautiful place - I hope you have a lovely time there this summer.
I'm just back from a few days in the Eastern Townships of Quebec and it was lovely. We were by Lac Brome and got to sit in similar chairs (yellow) down at the dock each evening. The lake was crystal clear and it was so peaceful. Being by the water is just so relaxing.

Rosie said...

Your cottage looks lovely Leslie ...love the position and the view from the decking area. I envisage many happy times there for you and Mr HB and your family. I'm so happy for you!
Rosie

kristieinbc said...

It looks like you've found a wonderful getaway spot on Pender. And perfect that you don't need to do any maintenance, so will be able to enjoy every minute of your time spent there.

Deborah Montgomery said...

Oh my goodness! This is amazing! What a beautiful spot to rest and recuperate. What beautiful scenery. Just lovely. I hope you enjoy many happy times there.

Anonymous said...

Hang them upside down outside overnight. ants will leave