Monday, August 15, 2016

The weight loss journey begins...

After gaining 10 pounds over the course of the summer it is time for me to take action and get back on track. To achieve a 10 pound weight loss I will keep track of my daily food intake, track my weight watcher points and keep an activity journal.
Writing everything down makes me more accountable and in my experience has made my progress so much more successful.

Getting on the scale recording my weight and hopping on every few days to see how things are going also helps me be more mindful of how I am doing...monitoring my progress helps keep me motivated.


Before embarking on a regime it is important to rid the cupboards and fridge of anything that might derail my progress...no hidden stashes of chips, chocolates or cookies. We all know what foods we crave and must avoid as quite possibly they are loaded with calories and fats.

Next up the grocery store shopping keeping to the aisles at the perimeter of the store...the dairy, meat, seafood, produce sections are where I need to focus my attention by choosing fresh vegetables, fruits in season and lean proteins.


I use skim milk in my morning cafe creme as it foams better.
Eggs are a great source of protein and they are also very versatile.
I love a poached egg atop a pile of greens or an omelet with fresh herbs for lunch. Hard boiled eggs make a great snack if you are feeling hungry between meals.

Fresh fruit counts as zero points on the Weight Watchers program so I load up on bananas, apples, pineapples, oranges, peaches, plums and berries...
opting for fruits that are "in season."
I will eat several fruit servings each day.

One of my favourite breakfasts is a 1/2 cup of low fat yogurt or cottage cheese with sliced fresh fruit. My appetite is controlled better when I have protein with each meal...it keeps me satisfied until the next meal and rarely do I get hungry in between.

If am extra active and feel hunger pangs I will have a couple of tablespoons of hummus with carrots and celery sticks or a wedge of Laughing Cow Light cheese with an apple.

I avoid most breads and will opt for 2 slim slices of "Little Big Bread" if I want a sandwich. This bread is made with sprouted grains and made by the Silver Hills company.

Potatoes are my weakness so I try to limit my intake of them especially in the initial phase of my program.

Lean meat (not fried) or protein is limited to about a 3 ounce serving.
My dinner plate will be heavy on the veggies and lean on the protein portion.
A plate loaded with lots of luscious colourful veggies is satisfying and beautiful.

Green salads with sliced mushrooms, onions, radishes, tomatoes, cucumbers, and colourful peppers are an easy way to fill up as there is lots of chewing involved. The action of chewing sends a signal to the brain that one is sated and full.

Be careful not to load up on creamy dressings...simple vinaigrettes are best and if you like vinegar you might be able to skip the oil and just have a drizzle of balsamic vinegar on top.

No pop or sweet drinks will pass my lips...
I will opt for tea, coffee, and several bottles of Perrier each day.

I enjoy a glass of wine but find that it has "empty calories" so it can derail or slow down my reduction plan.
Perrier in a champagne flute or a glass with a wedge of lemon or lime is festive enough and guilt free...getting plenty of fluid really is important...aim for 2 litres every day.

If you are tempted to snack...keep your hands busy...read a book or call a friend to chat.
Knit, crochet, do some embroidery whatever helps calm your thoughts.
Go for a walk or work outside in the garden.


Exercise!
Yes I will be out pounding the pavement every day for at least 45-60 minutes.
Walking is free and easy to do...no gym fees, you can do it anytime that suits your schedule and it is much more fun when you walk with a friend.

If you do not have a good pair of supportive walking shoes invest in some right away. My former knee problems were linked to a pair of sneakers that had no real structure or support.

If you are motivated by looking good while walking perhaps you will want to buy a cheerful coloured jacket or pants...something that makes you feel energized and happy.

I wear black yoga style skinny knit capris and a tee top with a light jacket by Mondetta that I purchased from Costco...inexpensive but very neat and functional.

If you have never walked much before start with 15-20 minutes. Do this for a week and soon you'll be able to add increments of time and distance and you will feel so much better and the movement is also so good for our aging bones.

If you prefer to exercise at the gym or pool because of weather or personal reasons you can ask the staff for suggestions of which routines and classes that will suit your goal. Zumba is very popular here among ladies of a certain age!


So let's begin...our journey together.

Getting healthy, trimming a wee bit of body weight, toning up and doing it together...are you ready?

I welcome comments and tips as we move through this together.
Good luck.


Goals...
leaner, lighter, fitter, more energetic.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

48 comments:

Noelle said...

After three weeks in England, I found the same 10 lbs! I'm in.

Susan said...

I'm ready! I have already lost 20 lbs in the last few months and have about 18 more lbs to lose. I have found that being on a medically prescribed anti-inflammatory diet (for inflammation) does it for me. It's a diet of mostly what you mention--lots of vegetable (excluding some), lean protein (if it is fish or chicken), some fruits. Raw nuts, red bell peppers and legumes are encourages. My breakfasts are oatmeal with blueberries. It will be fun to follow you on your weight loss journey while I am on mine.

Jennifer said...

I'm wearing those same 10 pounds! My thyroid and eating habits are to blame but I've got to get a handle on it. Thanks for the motivation!! I'm going to take your suggestions to heart. Good luck!'

Miss Jane said...

All the best on your journey (Susan & Jennifer, too). I started WW a few weeks ago and wish I only had 10 lbs to lose. I had to say goodbye to my sweet kitty girl in February and pretty much ate chocolate every single day for a few months. My love for baking also contributed quite a bit.
Remember you don't want to lose weight (because we always want to find what we lose) we won't to drop, shed or release! GOOD LUCK

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Great hope you are successful and can share your progress with the group.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Congratulations on your weight loss of 20 pounds! You new eating regime is working well for you and you must be pleased with those results.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Our thyroids control our metabolism and my hypothyroid does hamper my ability to lose weight...and since my dosage was decreased a few months ago it may be the culprit behind the 10 pounds...I do not want to make excuses though and so I am trying to fight it!

Patricia said...

This was a very motivating post ! You've got me excited - hopefully I am up for the challenge ! You have a wonderful style of writing...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

You have been through an emotional period and eating those chocolates obviously helped your through the grieving process...we have to be in the right frame of mind and be committed if we are to be successful.
I honestly do want to lose these 10 pounds so my blood pressure is in the normal range because I do not want to go back on the medication!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you Patricia!
I'll try and write a few posts each week and see if we can all stay motivated...
Good luck!

Dana said...

Hi Hostess! I don't need to lose weight but I would like to tone up and eat in a more healthful way. Hope it's ok that I join ! I purchased 5 pound weights and am using them with arm exercises for a half hour every evening. I have also started walking briskly a half hour every other evening. I added more vegetables to my dinner and started bringing fruit to work, as well as adding chopped strawberries to my yogurt at breakfast (like you, I enjoy greek yogurt and fruit for breakfast). Good luck to you. You have inspired me and with all of us supporting each other- we can do it!!!!

OneEnglishLady said...

I find that eating only if I am hungry during the day is good for me, missing breakfast or lunch is not a problem I can snack on healthy options if I do feel hungry. I have a main meal with my husband at night along the lines as you suggest. We all eat far too much for the amount of exercise we can realistically do and I find that the schedule above really helps me, it also means that I can indulge if the occasion arises. Good luck with it all.

Patricia said...

I love this post, Lesley. I am joining in for the next three weeks, until I go travelling. You have written so well about what is needed - like a very good WW lecturer :) You have definitely inspired me today. The walking is happening, but I need that handwork organised to stop the nibbles! Good luck to you and all the other ladies.

Fiona Ferris said...

I'm in too, Leslie! Thank you for such an informative post which exactly mirrors my own thoughts and provides great motivation :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Hostess,
Thank you for letting us go on this journey with you. I need to lose a lot of weight so please count me in! You are so encouraging and I read your blog every day. I will begin the program tomorrow morning for sure!! Thank you!!
Barbara S. from Florida

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I don't need to loose any weight but I do feel that I need to improve some of my eating habits for my general health. You have some great tips here for that too. More veggies and fruit and less meat is something I need to strive for. Thank you!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I don't need to loose any weight but I do feel that I need to improve some of my eating habits for my general health. You have some great tips here for that too. More veggies and fruit and less meat is something I need to strive for. Thank you!

Pondside said...

Here I am, bringing up the rear on the comments, but running to keep up! I'm in for the 10 lbs too!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Join in please!
Healthy eating is the focus...and more walking.
Please keep us in the loop about your weight exercises...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am not sure that I could skip breakfast and lunch...and only eat dinner...but then it has never occurred to me!
It sounds like it works for you and if you are happy and healthy then who am I to disagree?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

You could spend the idle time planning what clothes you are packing.
Looking forward to a holiday and a wedding will help to keep you focused!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Please chime in with your sage advice....we will all benefit from your thoughts.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Hi Barbara,
So my thoughts on weight loss are that it takes time...dedication and due diligence. This process is not going to be an instant fix so please hang in and keep track of your food intake, exercising and moods...stay positive, expect success and do not beat yourself up if you have a few bad days. I plan to share my ups and downs on the journey...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

If you have any tips on maintaining your weight please share them...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I hope that we all are able to share what is working and not afraid to ask for advice on things that we need help with...a collective group of like minded women are more likely to succeed. Happy that you are on board Pondside.
XO

OneEnglishLady said...

I don't skip both but if I have one then I generally don't have the other. I guess it is down to metabolism too. Mind you I cannot keep biscuits/cake etc in the house....a packet of Tim Tams (Australian chocolate biscuits) will disappear in a flash so as you so rightly say I keep them out of the house!

Marilyn said...

I replied on the previous post!! 8 to 10lbs for me as well. I need to get started before the cold, wet Winter months arrive here in the North of England as I know my winter clothes will be tight! I need to stop comfort eating as most of my worries can be faced.

marmielu said...

Good luck to everyone! I think you have given us a good, sensible plan for being healthy. My weight is pretty much where I want it, but I do have to be careful of the sweets, which, of course, is my weakness. I must admit to falling into some lazy eating habits this summer, and could stand to use some of your suggestions to get back on track. Thanks so much for writing this.

rebecca said...

I'm motivated by your excellent suggestions. I've been Fast-5ing for over 3 months now. I have 8-10 pounds to drop but am confident that the Fast-5 lifestyle works for me. (I should have continued on it instead of dropping it after losing 35-40 pounds a few years ago. It kind of self-regulates and eases just fine into "maintenance". WhatEVER healthy plan we choose, let us enjoy our successes together!

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Fabulous motivational post! I think that I can adhere to your very thoughtful suggestions except for one. Perrier in a champagne glass can never replace my glass of evening wine. But I'm with you every other step of the way!!!

Coulda shoulda woulda said...

I fluctuate so much that it is a worry but I do need to get fit as i worry about mobility in my old age - I am kinda in :)) but i can't give up mayo!

Mercerie said...

Count me in. This is just the motivation I need! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Great post!
You've mentioned all the important facts
I wish you all luck!
I have to go on the second part of my holidays and than think about it
I eat healthy and not much-with all the right combination- but my thyroid and medications are against me :-)
Plus a lot of social obligations, where I try to keep my line -not dieting but regime of sensible eating-but it is not easy
Dottoressa

Kristien62 said...

I began yesterday and am delighted to have a group to go along with. The journey is much easier with companions. Using WW, I originally lost 15lbs. Simply by not "paying attention", I gained back 10. So, I am looking at this as "the glass half full, not half empty." At least, I am not completely starting over. One more challenge, I broke my toe and walking is difficult, but not impossible. I am psyched for this.

Madame Là-bas said...

I'm off to get my bp medication renewed and I really should walk to the doctor's office.
"It is the daily tricks that make weight loss possible," says she as she quaffs her Perrier. Only 10 days before Ireland.

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

I'm working on those 10 lbs too. My latest blog, on my style channel, is on my slimmimg world experience. Interesting that on SW lean meat is unlimited. So I'm joining you on this challenge too.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Great to hear from you Marilyn!
If we aim to lose a pound a week you should have lots of time.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Congratulations on keeping your weight stable...I find maintaining my goal weight a bit more of a challenge than losing!
It is interesting how we all have a weakness...mine are potatoes, french fries and potato chips.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Maintenance can be tricky...I think we have a tendency when we get to our goal weight to allow a few more indulgences thinking that it won't affect our weight!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Weight Watchers has a point count for a glass of wine and it is not forbidden on the programme one must count it as part of the daily points allowance.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Don't give up mayo...I use it when I make a sandwich but in moderation.
I did give up those rich calorie laden creamy salad dressings and replaced them with a vinaigrette.
Oh yes do try to keep moving...I am 61 and walk at least 5 Km every day...I am trying to keep my bones strong and healthy and when my frozen shoulder heals I will go back to Yoga for flexibility. You know what they say..".use it or lose it."

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Hope you are off to a great start...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

My thyroid medications have been lowered and so I am going to have to work harder...they were reduced from 125mcg to 100mcg. It does affect my weight :-((

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Sorry to hear about that broken toe...maybe you can do some other form of exercise until it heals.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

10 days and counting! How exciting!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you for sharing your post information...and happy to hear that yiu are joining in on the challenge.

Anonymous said...

Hostess,

I don't know when you originally signed up Weight Watchers, but as probably you know, there is has been a recent change (from PointsPlus to SmartPoints). Your 3 oz serving of protein may be smaller than necessary on this version of the program. I believe that fresh (versus canned) tuna is only 1 point per oz, and most other proteins are very low in points.

-Christy

MaryB said...

I just celebrated my 61st. After a year of many changes, I too have decided to focus on my health. I don't weigh myself because The number becomes the focus for my day. Having said that, my clothes are definitely tighter due to a year of emotional eating.
I just completed a Whole30 series which helped immensely with my sugar cravings. Unfortunately, WW is not for me as I do not do well with trying to moderate my trigger foods. Avoiding and eliminating as many sugars prevents cravings, particularly late afternoon and evening ones. We need to listen to our bodies. Thanks for providing this forum to share.