Sunday, January 1, 2023

New Year ~ A time for Hope, Promise and a Fresh Start...

 


~ January 1, 2023 ~

Waking up on a brand new day, a brand new year, feels so full of promise.
There is a sense of optimism, thoughts of possibilities, and wonder.

How DO we start this New Year?

Are there any changes we want to make? 
Are we planning any new adventures?

Will we try something new?
A clean slate awaits...


We stayed up until Midnight on New Years Eve.
Something that we have not done for many years.


We haven't spent a New Years at the cottage before...
 there were quite a few cottages full of people who were celebrating.

We met up with friends who were on their new boat...
its maiden voyage in fact!
Lovely to be welcomed aboard for a tour and a chat.

The Salish Sea is calm 
there is a lot of debris in the water from the recent King Tides.
The logs float off the beaches and become a danger to navigation.

It did not stop me from climbing over and around the beach full of logs...
the edges of the beach were badly eroded from the pounding of the waves.
There were shells, kelp, plastic, trash, and a myriad of things strewn along the shoreline.

I managed to find a few pieces of seaglass but it was tough work.



I do not make new year's resolutions anymore...
I usually just break them :-(

I like to focus on healthier habits and continue to live with intention and gratitude.

I could definitely stand to lose some weight...
so I know what I need to do.

Move more, eat smaller healthy meals...and stop munching on potato chips!


They are a snug size 12


I bought a new pair of jeans and am going to use them as a "tool"
a tool to slim down my midsection.

I will not be "beating myself up" 
but will phase in small changes in over the next few weeks.

You know what they say..."Rome wasn't built in a day!"


~ OOTD ~
Style & co jeans
Hand knit Miriam sweater 
Akoya Pearls
Simple white Tee Lands' End

Starting 2023 with a casual look
wearing slightly snug jeans



How did you spend New Years?
Did you stay up to ring in the New Year?

Are you making any resolutions?

I'd love to have you chime in and leave a comment.

Thank you for stopping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

12 comments:

Lorrie said...

Like you, I don't make resolutions, but I am charting a course towards eating less and moving more. It was a beautiful day today, and I'm sure your cottage had some gorgeous views. White and grey with pearls looks very elegant. Happy New Year, Leslie!

Susan said...

Happy New Year Leslie. You and I are a lot alike. We like serenity, the scenery and a good time with friends. I also need to lose weight! I wear a size 14! So, you are ahead of the game. Have a wonderful 2023.

Patricia said...

Happy New Year Leslie. We have not seen in the new year for a few years now, but I did wake up when the fireworks started in the City. No resolutions either, but a definite decision to tighten up the diet to shed a few pounds acquired over the festive season. This applies to both of us! I feel I need to be as fit as possible for our coming overseas jaunt in a few months time. New Year at the cottage must have been very pleasant for you. It always looks so lovely there.

Sheila said...

Happy New Year! I also need to lose some weight - I ate my weight in chocolate over the holidays, I think! I'm also being kind to myself, walking briskly and getting all the bad food out of the house.

We had a very busy holiday season - I'm glad it's somewhat back to "normal" now!

Kathryn in Canada said...

Happy New Year! I love dropping by your blog. I am up island so relate to your scenery etc. I love the grey sweater. I haven't knit anything for years, but that looks like an easy pattern to get back into it. Would you mind telling me where you got it and what kind of wool was used? Can't wait to see the aqua one you're working on. Good luck with the size 12 jeans. It becomes an on going battle with age doesn't it?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Eating less and moving more are wise and healthy goals...I hope that 2023 is a rewarding year for you Lorrie.
All the best.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I wonder a lot about "Vanity sizing"...I feel more like a size 14 than a 12...I wear a 12 in Eileen Fisher or a large petite...I always gravitate towards the larger sizes in her line but it depends on the style. We should not beat ourselves up about sizes ( myself included) but embrace the positivity of being alive!
Happy New Year Susan

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am trying to finish up the naughty foods from the holidays so i can get back to a healthier eating regime...why do chips and chocolate taste so much better than quinoa and greens?
Hope that you have a wonderful 2023...best wishes!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am right beside you Sheila...chocolate has been a delicious treat! Walking will be our new normal...and perhaps a chocolate only once in awhile. Health and Happiness in the New Year to you.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Hi Kathryn,
Welcome to the blog! Not sure how far up island you are and if you visit Victoria? I shop at The Beehive for my yarn and supplies...they have an online store and there are wool shops up island...I found the pattern through a dear friend and it is on Ravelry, called Miriam. I opted to use my favourite wool...Rowan Felted Tweed which is made in Italy...a blend of wool and alpaca....very easy to work with and warm and cozy.
The pattern is a gem...am making another one right now!
Healthier eating is always a challenge when I spy chocolate and chips...but needs must!
Please feel free to email me if you have any questions on the pattern I am happy to connect and help.
Cheers!

Jeannine said...

Your sweater is beautiful. I haven't made any resolutions - just couldn't settle on anything and decided if my heart wasn't in it how was I going to keep the resolution! The best I have is I'm continuing with eating less and moving more. I haven't weighed myself, but slowly (and I mean slowly!) I'm shrinking a little. I've been good with the consistency of my plan, so there's that. I've started a 30 day yoga challenge which I've added to my daily walk, daily stretching, and few times a week weights.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Slow and steady wins the race! It is the best way...it takes time to make new habits so you'll be more successful over time.
Happy New Year! I started a 30 day Yoga challenge and have rejoined my former Yoga Studio.