Saturday, January 14, 2023

January ~ Busy days and a time tested favourite recipe


The weather has warmed up a wee bit but I am still wearing cozy clothes.

This plush velour zip top by 32 Degrees is very warm 
paired with the felted hand woven wool scarf I was dressed for the windy day.

The scarf was found in a thrift shop on Pender and it was very reasonably priced.

My week has been surprisingly busy!

Two Yoga in person classes at the Studio.
Trivia night at the pub, dinner here after school pick up with the grandchildren.
Errands, cooking and cleaning, 
lunch out for sushi with my husband and another couple
watching Stay Close on Netflix.
Then on Friday I met up with a friend for lunch and a walk.
Then we met two couples for dinner at The Snug at the Oak Bay Beach Hotel.
My weeks are not usually so full of events...


Fresh Orchid arrangement in the Lobby of the OBBH.

The Snug Pub is getting a new floor
 so we dined in front of the fireplace in the hotel foyer.


Got my steps in...
so much easier and more enjoyable when a friend is on the walk!

I slept late Saturday morning and read a couple of chapters in my current book.


Looking For Jane by Heather Marshall is a page turner...
Set in Canada it weaves a story of three women linked by a common thread.
An important book which I am very glad that I picked up.

Did some grocery shopping and laundry...
took a book to a friend.

Making a pot roast, carrots and roasted potatoes for dinner tonight.

I have shared the recipe before on the blog...
it is SO SIMPLE!
In case you want a comforting meal...
here is the recipe.


I like to make a gravy 
remove the roast to the carving board

Mix 4 tablespoons of Cornstarch with an equal amount of water 
in a jar and shake to mix
 add to the wet ingredients and whisk quickly
you remove the roast to the carving board.
ENJOY!

In other news...


I purchased a new mat and a small bolster for my Yoga practice.


 January is ticking along quite quickly here...

How are things going for you?

Well I better close and get this roast ready for the carver!
I have gravy to make...

I think Sunday might be a day of rest!!

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

9 comments:

Adele said...

it can be lots of fun to have social engagements and appointments on the calendar, and then to have a respite to relax and recharge! I have a couple of 32 Degrees velour tunics that I wear on repeat around the house all winter, so cozy and still look nice

Latane Barton said...

How are things going with me? First part of Jan. I could not get focused nor organized but things are getting better. Perhaps it was the after-Christmas funk I always get in. Activities are picking up here at the apartment complex, too so that is keeping me hopping. BTW I adore great-big gorgeous bouquets like that one in the OBBH. Wish I had room in my apartment for something like that.

Jeannine said...

I'm always so happy to see a new post from you! How can it be mid-January already? I have (once again) a goal of working on one of my unfinished quilting projects each month (a project a month - not necessarily to finish, but to make progress on - a focus). Suddenly I realized I'm not working on my January project! Not off to an auspicious start, it seems! I am at it now and it's well do-abled in the remains of the month. I've been in a real "blah" time this January. Can't seem to get motivated. I am doing the Yoga with Adriene 30 day challenge and am several days behind, simply because we were out of town for a five day weekend. I'm keeping at it, though - tough as it is some days!

Sheila said...

Mmm, pot roast, my favourite! I just bought a nice roast this past weekend too. Good to see the OBBH - I have posed in front of the fireplace a few times! Love that second-hand scarf.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I only have one piece of 32 degrees clothing but it is very cozy, well made and super warm. I will look for more as it washes well and holds its colour and shape. It's great when we can find good looking casual wear.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Sounds like things are picking up in your complex...it must be fun having the activities close to "home!" The floral arrangement in the hotel is really BIG! It could sit on our dining room table but there would be no place to sit and dine!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I know....mid January and it is starting to feel a bit like Spring is on the way...Hellebores and Snowdrops are in bloom. I am a few days behind in the online Yoga class as well! No real excuse either as we have not been away...just busy. Have fun with your quilting project.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We enjoyed several meals from the pot roast and then I made soup with the leftover bits...a very economical way to stretch the food budget. The weather today was so gloomy that I wore the blue vest that I knit with a sparkly rhinestone brooch! I NEEDED the BLING. Hope you are doing well.

Patricia said...

Oops, I think I missed this lovely post. The red pot for the roast is beautiful, and I am sure the results absolutely delicious. Perfect in Wintertime. The hotel lobby looks very stylish, and dinner with friends is always fun. January is nearly over, and I have not achieved much - had A Fall, and have been spending time with ice packs on my knees and unable to exercise from all my sore joints. Getting back into walking today, and see your daily step count is rather better than mine :)