Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Turnabout Dressing room ~ The quest for a dress...in black.

 


Here I am 
not dressed for a try on
was not expecting to go to the shops.

Wearing my Bermuda shorts, white Tee and oversized Ralph Lauren shirt.
Turnabout is an upscale shop
lots of designer items
posh bags
and
there were a group of tourists
women
who were trying on all the LV bags.

There must have been a dozen LV bags in different style and sizes.
Quite the excited vibe when I entered the store.

I think there were several sales and some very happy customers.

I made the rounds of all the racks on the main floor set aside some clothes by the fitting room then went upstairs to see the markdowns and dedicated style racks.


7 items...
mostly black dresses


Silk loose style with interesting trim and the neck and cuffs.
Didn't feel like a good choice...too boxy.
Price was good but I couldn't see it as a "workhorse" dress.


Fitted too close to the Body...
too snug...not flattering.


Now this one felt better...
a bit longer than I had originally imagined 
but still...
it has side pockets.

Nice jersey knit, good weight, drapes well.


Swing skirt...
very packable.

Got to go out to the bigger mirror to get a better look.


Two women commented right away...
positive feedback
one was a staff member the other was a customer.
The dress set aside while finishing trying on the other garments.




Super soft "sweatshirt" top for cooler shore days.
So cozy, great neutral colour, layering piece.
Under the puffy vest or the jean jacket.


I purchased the top...


and the dress.

Both items were very reasonably priced...
I found a crinkle linen scarf/wrap in the thrift shop on Salt Spring
 when we were there a few weeks ago...
it is black, grey and white wide swatches of colour.
Is very large so I think it will be a warm wrap for evening meals in the dining room.

Have pretty much got my cruise wardrobe ready now.
Not packing a ton of clothes but everything will be versatile enough to mix and match with all the items.

I'll take a few scarves as they add colour, interest and texture.

I bought a pair of New Balance walking shoes, have my Taos black sandals
and the black casual Remonte shoes and I need to decide which dressy pair to pack.
The Ferragamos or the Amalfi's both black with low heels and classic.

Will pack: Lord and Taylor cashmere black turtleneck sweater, 
casual pair and dressy Eileen Fisher black pants.
Blue and white Tommy Bahamas dress
white linen short jacket
Uniqlo tees ~ black and white
white linen Sigrid Olsen shirt
white tank
grey Eileen Fisher linen vest
denim shirt
Betty Barclay navy puffer vest
new sweatshirt
new black dress
Columbia raincoat
denim Angels jean jacket
DKNY bathing suit

nightgown and lingerie
sox
warm hat, scarf and gloves for Glacier Day.

I've been under the weather with a summer cold and cough.
The cough is hanging on much longer than one might expect...
the nurse that listened to my lungs 
said she had the same virus in May and it lasted 3 weeks.

Hopefully it eases soon as I have some plans to visit Salt Spring Island for a few days and I would be very disappointed if I have to cancel my plans.
So I'm taking Zinc and vitamin C
hydrating like crazy and taking life easy.

Looks like Chester is taking life easy :-))


Chester loves to come outside on the deck.
He's an indoor cat so we only permit him out there when we are both out there.
I suppose he is getting his dose of vitamin D

Have you had a summer cold?

Hope you are enjoying a fun summer...
Thank you for stopping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

Until next time 

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

22 comments:

Ann said...

LOVE the dress...and yes, pockets! I have one that is very similar and take it on every trip and cruise because with a sweater, scarf, jacket it looks totally different. Hope your cough goes away and you have a wonderful trip!

Deanna said...

No summer cold yet, knock on wood. Hope you're feeling better soon. I would have picked that same LBD. And the comfy sweatshirt. Your cruise wardrobe sounds perfect.

La Contessa said...

I adore Chester he is such a Love!
I like your new swing black dress!Looks very comfortable and you could easily put leggings on with a sweater if the weather was chilly!!!Sorry to hear you have a cold!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I like that you change up the accessories to make the dress more versatile... I plan to do the same with my dress.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I like how simple the dress is and it can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. I wore the cozy sweatshirt and it is a great layering piece...will be warm on the breezy decks aboard the ship.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

He has a very "big" personality and loves attention...the cold is easing somewhat and I cannot wait to be rid of it!!!

Lori said...

Lovely items and a great packing list! An Alaskan cruise is on our bucket list, with maybe Victoria or Vancouver added on. We are in Kansas City. Not sure if it’s a cold, but having respiratory issues – probably allergy related from our son’s dogs who are here visiting with him from Brooklyn!
On another note, I keep trying to follow you again on Instagram – for some reason, your account has vanished for me the past two or three months. But my requests seem to go nowhere – I am listed as “lake district.”
I do keep up via your blog, but miss the Instagram. I just don’t know what’s going on with it.!

Patricia said...

Well done with the black dress, an inspired choice. I really like the warm top with the funnel neck too. Love watching how you put the wardrobe together, while I am dithering over here about what to take to Ontario for next week! Trans-seasonal weather can be tricky...

Sheila said...

Oh, I love seeing your shopping goodies from Turnabout - such a good (dangerous!) store! I often take small groups shopping there. Their sales are very tempting! I love the dress you got - pockets will always make the difference for me.
Aw, Chester is so sweet - I remember when you first got him!
Sending you good vibes that your cough clears up - this smoke haze doesn't help!

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie,
I hope by now you are feeling better and the cough has eased; sounds like you are taking good care of yourself. Hopefully it didn't/won't impact your island getaway! The LBD is great, a workhorse indeed. I can imagine it accessorized in so many ways. Your sleek bob is very chic and a fun change, but I miss your waves! I love to see wavy/curly hair; it seems special and unique. You're lucky to enjoy both. Having a packing list is very organized, and saves last minute frenzy! I'm glad you have a cruise to look forward to after all you've gone through with the hip surgery. Have a beautiful week. Oh I almost forgot - I love Chester; he's gorgeous!! Cats are the Best.
Erina

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Lori I did respond to you about the Instagram issue on a previous post. I have never had allergies before...but maybe they have finally arrived :-((

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Layers are the best to pack when the weather is not very predictable....I am sure you'll pack very well...yopu are a seasoned traveller!! Bon Voyage

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Turnabout does have some great things...I usually find at least one item every time I walk in the door!!! You must have fun taking friends there to shop as you are a true fashionista ~ queen of the thrifts!!!
I've still got the cough...it is very annoying...I can breathe just fine through my nose so I have no idea why the cough is hanging on...I heard of a woman who has had it for 7 weeks!!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Erina the cough is hanging on...week #3...I've heard of someone who has had it for 7 weeks!! Yikes.
Not sure if it might be allergies but if so that is something new for me.I let my hair go wavy while I was away as I packed a small bag for the 4 days I was away. It definitely IS nice to have a change.
Chester was happy to see me today :-)) I think he might have missed me! I have a few weeks to catch up on stuff before we depart for the cruise. Am looking forward to the trip! Take care and have fun Erina.

Lorrie said...

Both pieces are so versatile. The black dress, with pockets (yes!) is lovely to dress up in a number of ways.
I hope you soon feel better.

Anonymous said...

Hello Hostess, news this morning said BC is in emergency situation due to the fires. I hope you’re not in any danger. Kathleen in Oregon

Jeannine said...

I'm very behind in reading your blog! Just wanted to say I hope you are now mended from your summer cold - yes, we had the same here and it hung on forever! Always enjoy your posts.

Anonymous said...

Your fires in BC also made the news here in NZ. Do hope you are safe and not having to many smoke issues ? Colleen

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you for asking...We are currently safe in Victoria on Vancouver Island...the terrible fires are in the interior of BC in The Okanagan area....so devastating, and so many people have been evacuated. For now the winds are blowing the smoke in a different direction so we don't have smoke in the air...there are terrible fires to the south of us in Washington state. It's incredibly scary...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Versatility is important when one keeps a small closet of clothes!!! The cold is fading now...hope you don't catch it...many people are sick right now.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The fires are in the interior of BC...we don't have a lot of smoke right now as the winds are blowing in a different direction...lots of wildfires to the south in Washington State too...it's pretty devastating and there are so many people who have had to leave their homes. Thank you for checking in Kathleen XO

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh darn...you had it too...hope you are on the mend.
Cough is finally easing...thank goodness as I didn't want to be coughing when we go on the cruise!