Monday, September 5, 2022

September ~ School daze and memories


We are staying at the cottage for a few days.

I picked a handful of Annabelle and Limelight Hydrangeas...
a little reminder of our Humble Bungalow Garden.

There are flowers here on the property at the cottage 
part of the communal "complex" 
owned by various owners 
so it doesn't feel right picking any flowers.


This morning the sun was shining brightly and the Salish Sea was calm.
There was the refreshing scent of sea salt in the air...
(which I love) 
I sat quietly sipping my coffee and soaking in the view.

Since retirement in 2014, I make time to savour two cups of coffee each morning.
I LOVE a good cup of coffee.

After I visited France in 2015, I made a bowl of espresso with foamed milk,
(cafe creme)
then after I returned from Italy 
I purchased an Italian espresso maker for the stove
using the popular Lavazza Italian coffee.

Mr. HB makes drip coffee and I admit I like to wake up and just pour a cup...
it is such a treat having someone make it :-))


Just finished this entertaining story by S J Bennett.
I read her other book, The Windsor Knot 
which is about HRH working on a mystery set in Buckingham Palace.

This is another mystery in which Elizabeth gets involved in solving a mystery.
It is an easy read ~ lots of fun...
if you are looking for something light you might enjoy it.


Warm nights 
the sun slipping behind the trees
crickets serenading us 
watching the boats as they pass by 
Quarterdeck Cottage.


The grandchildren are all heading back to school tomorrow...
summer is fading and fall is on its way.

Fall weather will be here before we know it...
warm sweaters and coats will be on our radar.

My new Eileen Fisher black fleece lined walking coat arrived last week...

The size fits perfectly, (the clerk was right) is lovely, cozy, great for everyday walks, yet stylish.
Will be able to wear it for errands, walking, and evenings out.

 

We will be busy putting the Humble Bungalow Garden to bed soon...
it has been a lovely summer in the garden.

We are currently enjoying oodles of fresh tomatoes, zucchini, yellow beans, cucumbers and several varieties of lettuce.
Salads have been a mainstay on the table for dinner for almost every meal.

It will be strange to go to the shops and purchase veggies 
when the harvest has finished.

Do you look forward to the new season and the change in the weather?
The opportunity to sort out your closet and bring the warmer or cooler clothes as needed?

I will be laundering the linen dresses, tops and skirts and swapping them out for the fall dresses and sweaters.

I need to buy some tall rubber rain and snow boots as my ancient pair fell apart!
It might be fun to look for a colourful pair this year.

Do you have plans to buy any new clothes?
What is on your list?

I must close for now and get some dinner organized...
thank you for popping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~




10 comments:

Sheila said...

Gosh, what a view of the arbutus trees and ocean!

I'm looking forward to fall (my favourite season), and my bi-annual closet swap-over which happens at the end of September. I have a bunch of fall/winter items I've thrifted/bought second-hand that are stashed away (I've forgotten all of it). It's a thrill to pull that out and be excited about more layered outfits. I have some amazing capes I can't wait to wear!

Lorrie said...

These are lovely days to savour the last of summer. It is so wonderful to be able to create meals from the garden. We are doing the same. I enjoyed The Windsor Knot and have put in a request for All the Queen's Men at the library. I'm beginning to think about my fall/winter clothing, too.

Latane Barton said...

Such beautiful pictures! I love to read so I may have to put that one on my reading list.

Jeannine said...

I love fall! We've had some perfect weather days - sunny, breezy, low humidity. I have 16 days left to work! While I retired from my job end of June, I've been working as temporary help for the district registrar. The end of September is the end of my time with that. Then my pension will start. I'm looking forward to being done with "going to work". There will be plenty to keep me busy at home. Yes, I have lists started - in various categories. but I can tackle things in my own time and at whatever pace I want to set. Yay for that!

Patricia said...

It is always a treat to see your views of the sea; your cottage must be very special to you. Limelight hydrangeas are beautiful: I have never seen them in reality, only pink and blue ones. Enjoy the approaching Fall, my favourite season after the Summer heat. It is fun to change our wardrobes. It is officially Spring over here, but Winter is lingering and I cannot put my warm coats away just yet. However, am thinking of Summer, and planning a few loose linen dresses and tops. The shops are full of temptation!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Fall might be delayed somewhat...you'll have plenty pf time to get your wardrobe swapped out! Capes are a wonderful option for this transitional weather.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Hope that you enjoy the book Lorrie.
I was surprised to hear of the Queen's passing...her audience with the new Prime Minister at Balmoral and then we heard the news. Very sad but not totally unexpected.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The books are quite fun and I hope you enjoy them. It was a shock and surprise hearing of the death of Queen Elizabeth. She is the only Monarch that has been in power in my lifetime...I saw her several times on her visits to Victoria. What an amazing legacy she leaves...I wonder what kind of King Charles will be?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

You'll be finished your career in the school very soon...setting goals, making lists and doing them at your own pace, taking many breaks and having days off when you decide will fill your future with a pleasant timetable...and NO BELLS!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

As you prepare for summer I am preparing for Fall...I am slowly taking the whites and linen dresses down to the "out of season" closet. We have had a warm and often hot summer season...it will be a challenge getting into the cool wet weather!
Have fun changing up your wardrobe Patricia.