Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Victoria ~ September Tidbits and Snippets


I walked past the church today and observed a crowd of people 
talking animatedly poised with clipboards.

There will be a commemorative service held here in Victoria 
at Christ Church Cathedral to honour Queen Elizabeth.

Many of us are saddened by her passing...
I have known no other Queen in my lifetime.

She visited Victoria BC many times.
She stayed at Government House in Rockland a few blocks from our bungalow.

I remember once that we were able to go down to the Inner Harbour 
to watch her disembark from her royal yacht The Britannia
She stepped gracefully into a launch to come ashore 
making her way to the excited throng of onlookers.

Girl Guides gave her fresh bouquets of flowers.
She had a lovely smile and wore a colourful outfit and matching hat.

She was a hard working monarch with a strong sense of duty...
steadfast in her determination to do a good job
she was kind and compassionate.
She will be missed by many.

Her funeral will take place in Westminster Abbey on Monday September 19th 
The Federal Government has just announced that the day will be a holiday.

The Queen loved Sweet Peas...


Our local Pharmasave in Oak Bay offers many wonderful skin care products.

They carry some exclusive make up items like Pupa from Milan.

I enjoy shopping there as the clerks are so knowledgeable and helpful,
plus they have a wonderful exchange policy.

The Andalou CC cream is easy to apply,
rich and creamy which offers nice coverage without being cakey.


I am test driving a new serum from Derma E.


Ther Andalou Brightening Renewal Cream is a new product.

I recently had a facial at the Boathouse Spa at The Oak Bay Beach Hotel.
After the 60 minute treatment my skin felt wonderful...
I want to continue to take care of my skin and keep it supple.

Hydration and sunscreen are my two top priorities...
I also try to buy "natural" products.


I look a lot like my mom...
the older I get, the more that the resemblance is evident!
Mom loved her pearls and I love wearing mine too...

I snapped this selfie while waiting in a long line up at the car wash today.
was getting a wee bit bored as I forgot my book.


I picked up this book by Maggie O'Farrell
The Hand That First Held Mine won the Costa Award in 2010

Want to read all her books as I so enjoy her writing...

I loved her novel Hamnet and Judith.
The Marriage Portrait that was published in 2020 is on my list.

What are you reading?

Are you planning to watch the funeral of Queen Elizabeth on the telly?
It will be broadcast here at 3am...


Well I must close for now...
Mr HB has been harvesting the Jalapeno and Anaheim Peppers
SO
 I am making a big batch of Salsa.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

11 comments:

Joyce said...

Loved your snippets and tidbits! Your sweet peas are so lovely, vibrant colours. Did you find a new lipstick colour in Pupa line?

Lorrie said...

I've been watching coverage of the mourning ceremonies for the late Queen on youtube, and will probably watch some of the funeral service, but I won't be getting up at 3 am to watch. Your skin looks lovely and glowing. And what beautiful sweet peas you have!

Patricia said...

So nice to read your recollections of the many visits to Victoria by the Queen. I loved to see she liked sweet-peas, and read that they were in the wreath on her coffin. They are lovely flowers. Good selfie! I am looking more and more like my mother as I get older too. Sometimes it is a bit confronting :)

Sheila said...

Losing the Queen was unexpected...and yet not...but was still a blow. I'll be watching the funeral (although not at 3am) - I've always followed the royals.

Your skin is AMAZING! I must go to that Pharmasave! I am also starting to look more and more like my mom as I get older. I used to dislike that, but now I love it.

Your salsa looks so good!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I have two lipsticks in the Pupa line...#503 Ultra Brilliant Lipstick and #305 Ultra Shine Gloss. Both a warm red shade.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I went to Christ Church Cathedral today and I signed the condolence book for the Queen. There was a lot of activity and I assume it is partly due to getting ready for the commemorative service on Monday.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I looked a lot like my mom when I saw pictures of her as teenager...there is one of her with long hair around 15 or 16 and I had to do a double take as I thought it was one of me!!
I am not sure that I will get up at 3am and watch the TV coverage of the Queen's funeral but I am sure there will be lots of opportunity to catch the highlights on the news.
Are you planning to watch the coverage?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I plan to watch the highlights of the funeral unless something wakes me...I did watch the coverage of Diana and Prince Charles' wedding...and that was broadcast in the early morning hours too.
You and your Mom have such fun on your walks...I miss my mom a lot...she had good skin so I think I inherited that from her.

Patricia said...

Yes, I am watching as much as I can. The ceremony at Westminster Hall was very moving. Our time difference is 10 hours so I imagine I will record the funeral and watch in the next morning. A sad time, and also a fitting tribute to our great Queen.

beth b said...

Your skin is glowing! How lovely!

I just finished watching Queen Elizabeth's funeral service. The pageantry was amazing and the weather was so calm and somber. What a remarkable occasion.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The funeral was a very moving tribute to the Queen...it was a very emotional event. Those Corgi's and that lone pony stomping it's foot as the hearse passed by really was heart wrenching. The end of an era for sure.