Thursday, January 2, 2020

January...starting slowly

Easing into the New Year...
mulling over some goals and ideas
making a few intentions
not necessarily resolutions
confirming if they are reasonable, attainable and worth considering.

Have you made any resolutions for twenty twenty?


The view on my walk earlier this week on a beautiful sunny day.


December Hollyhocks in bloom on a street near the Humble Bungalow.


The eagle has landed!
There are frequently two bald eagles perched up in the tree...


On
New Years Day 
a few people walking past the tree 
stopped to look up and admire this majestic bird.

Speaking of looking up...


A Single Star 
made out of tin 
hangs above the sink in The Humble Bungalow.

Different from the 
Stars
 that sparkle and twinkle up above 
in the night sky.

Do you remember this poem about Stars from your childhood?



The rains have started and they'll be with us for awhile.


 Cenotaph near Cattle Point in the Uplands area of Victoria.
Glimpsed as we walked by on our morning walk.


I don't know any food more comforting 
except a bowl of soup on a cold rainy day.

 Homemade Tomato Soup

I roasted several pounds of fresh tomatoes 
diced onions 
5 cloves of minced garlic 
in a shallow pan with some olive oil 
 400 degree oven for 45 minutes

 I popped them all in a pot 
added a tetra pack of veggie stock
put it on to simmer.

Then I used the immersion blender to blend it all.
Salt and Pepper to taste.



Currently reading The Rocks by Peter Nichols.

Going to pop the kettle on soon and brew a pot of tasty Murchies Chestnut Tea.
Will light the candle and read for a bit.

How is your New Year looking so far?
What are you reading?

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

14 comments:

Lorrie said...

Soup is the perfect meal for these rainy, rainy nights. I know only the first verse of the poem you quoted. Love the remaining verses. I'm waiting for some books from the library and have been dipping into old favourites here at home - including Nigel Slater's Christmas Chronicles.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

There’s also a chorus that goes with the poem which I didn’t know was actually a song.
Soup is going to be one of my new cooking plans this Winter. I want to lighten up my daily lunches use up leftovers and eat more veggies. Plus I find the act of chopping so soothing!
I must try to borrow a few of Nigel Slaters books from the library. I have heard so much about his recipes but have never tried making any of them.
Hope you are keeping dry in the rainy weather!

Carol in VT said...

I, too, loved the second and third verses which I had never heard. Used the first verse the Saturday before Christmas as I was driving to a local theater. I was in a Christmas play in which most of the cast was children, ages 6-15. I had been having trouble with remembering all my lines all week and I felt that I was letting them down. They had been working so hard to learn their lines while still in school, playing sports, and performing in their school concerts. I will try your soup recipe. It sounds amazing.

Madame Là-bas said...

I only know the first verse as well. I finished The Dutch House by Ann Patchett this morning. I enjoyed it and I just downloaded March by Geraldine Brooks. It's about the father in Little Women. Daughter and I saw Little Women when she was in Tucson. Even though I knew the story, my eyes were moist. Soups are great idea for winter.

LPC said...

I am also easing along;).

Patricia said...

I would love to have 5 deg and raining! Such is the way of the world we are too hot and dry over here. Your photo of the sea is stunning, what a beautiful place you live in. Also the eagles, magnificent. I am not good at resolutions, but am getting back on my diet and hope to sew more garments for myself this year.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I can imagine it would be stressful trying to remember your lines while you are on stage...I think I would have stage fright and freeze on the spot!
The soup is really delicious. Hope you like it!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

A friend of mine went to see Little Women and she knows the book well but still wept...it sounds like a great film. It’s a classic.
Homemade soups are much better than most canned versions and I can use far less salt which My doctor says I should avoid.
The Dutch Girl is a very popular book I’ll have to see if I can reserve it at the library.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Gently easing into the New Year feels good doesn’t it? We retirees have the luxury of time!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I heard about the 40 degree temperatures that you are having! That’s very hot.
I admire people who can sew their own clothes. I have a friend who taught sewing at high school and she makes beautiful dresses in linen and she’s always made lovely garments.
Mine never seemed to look as well finished.
Shopping for fabrics and patterns must be fun.
I look forward to seeing your new projects.

hollybholly said...

Have The Rocks on my bookshelf and I may just put that in first position in the reading queue. Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I have read the first 100 pages and am enjoying the characters and especially the setting...yachts, beaches, parties, a beautiful house overlooking the sea...it feels so enchanting that I'd love to go there!

KSL said...

Definitely easing, or really a very slow start. I got the second shingles vaccine on Jan 2nd and am knocked flat. I'm reading the first book in a police procedural series, Missing, Presumed by Susie Steiner. I seem to be on a detective binge.....

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

That second Shingles vaccination knocked me for a loop too! I think it was 4 or 5 days of a flu like reaction. Better then getting Shingles though...a friends had it and said the pain was absolutely horrible and lasted weeks.
The detective series sounds like it’s got you hooked! Enjoy the books they’ll keep you turning the pages to find out what happens!