Thursday, January 9, 2020

January week ~ highlights...

January week 1
easing into the New Year...

walking
reading
home keeping
cooking
a wee bit of shopping


Vibrant
Witch Hazel
seen on my walk


I stopped 
juggled my umbrella and bag of groceries 
reached into my handbag and grabbed my IPhone
to capture this image.

I could not pass this by...

A stunning shade of orange 
these flowers stand out against the bark of the nearby tree
 soft delicate pendulous petals.


A hearty bowl of chili with a dollop of sour cream.

Chili

Saute: 
1 diced onion
2 cloves of minced garlic 
 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef, chicken or turkey
until cooked

Add:
 19 oz can kidney beans
 19 oz can chopped tomatoes
 12 oz can kernel corn
 7 1/2 can tomato paste

1 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tsp chili powder 
1 tsp cumin 

Simmer 45 minutes  
serve with a dollop of sour cream


Snow drops popping up through the soil.


Easy "Peasy" Pea Soup

Dice an onion and add 4 - 6 cups of vegetable stock.
Bring to a boil over high heat
 reduce to medium low
 cook for 5 minutes uncovered until onion is tender
Add 1000g (2 lbs) frozen peas
bring back to the boil and cook til peas are done

Using an immersion blender puree the soup
make sure you get all the lumps out
you can thin it with a bit more stock if it is too thick.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream

Enjoy!
(a fabulous flavourful soup)

How is your January shaping up so far?
Have you made any resolutions?

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

8 comments:

Madame Là-bas said...

I always make my chili with ground turkey to cut down on fat. The cocoa powder is a good idea. If mine tastes a bit too spicy for Monsieur, I add a bit of honey. I love green peas so I will try your recipe. No resolutions but I'm looking at being more environmentally aware in 2020. Cutting down on plastic. I just finished The Conscious Closet book. The environmental cost of "fast clothing" is appalling.Did you know that Eileen Fisher in the US accepts all of it clothing back either for resale or recycling? Apparently, in any condition as long as it is washed. What a great idea!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I love substituting chicken or turkey. We are trying to reduce our consumption of beef for our health and for the planet. I purchased some beeswax coated cotton food covers this Christmas they are pretty and will last quite awhile and that makes me feel like that will reduce the use of cling film. I knew about that program at Eileen Fisher. I follow her company on IG and see some of the new designs that are made out if former garments. It’s a fabulous idea! Another reason to shop at her store (as if I need another reason!!!) pulverize the pea soup until it’s smooth and you can add more broth if it’s too thick.

Madame Là-bas said...

I bought some of the beeswax too. It's my second set and I'm probably going to buy more. EF has so many items that I really like. After reading The Conscious Closet, I subscribed to Poshmark where you can choose designers to follow for reduced or reused clothing. I'm following Eileen Fisher, Elie Tahari and Ann Taylor.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Poshmark sounds like a great source for designer clothes that you like at reasonable prices. Saves you time searching too! Win win

Adele said...

We love the pea soup! For an elegant first course, thin with a little bit of light or heavy cream and serve in china teacups with some tiny fresh made croutons, if desired. EBay has quite a few EF pieces as well -- just scored a pair of new, washable crepe slim ankle pants in the midnight color. Patience and discernment pay off when perusing resale sites (and always read the seller reviews before buying. I won't even consider sellers below 99.5% favorable)

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Tea cups would be perfect for this tasty soup! I think it would be a lovely starter to an afternoon tea in the spring or summer in the garden!
You've done well to find those EF pants brand new on Ebay...persistance pays off.

Unknown said...

Hi - Your chili looks delicious and such a simple recipe! One question though, do you drain the tomatoes and beans? I've made the same pea soup, it really is a taste of spring in the wintertime. You can probably tell I'm hungry this evening ;)

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I only drain the beans...the tomatoes go in with their liquid. The pea soup is quite tasty and I think would be fun to serve with dainty sandwiches for an afternoon tea in the spring or summertime.
Hope that you enjoy the chilli.