Saturday, September 29, 2018

Salish Sea Life at the Shaw Discovery Centre...

Last weekend
we took the grandchildren to The Shaw Discovery Centre in Sidney.
I am not sure who had the most fun...the adults or the wee ones!


Aquatic life viewed from beneath the sea.


Mira loves looking into the tanks...




Silver salmon swimming...


Colourful fish and graceful anemones.



So much beauty abounds under the sea...

The centre has a "hands on" open area 
where we washed our hands and were permitted to use a baby finger to gently touch the sea life...
the children were fascinated by this opportunity and spent a large portion of our visit at this tactile area of the centre.

The Shaw Centre is a popular venue for school field trips.
The last year that I was working in the school
 we took a small group of our special needs students for a visit.
The children had a wonderful time
were visually stimulated 
with various activities 
that held their attention and they were fully engaged.
It was fun to see how happy and enthusiastic they were during the visit.

It's also a fun place to take family.


Parks, the seashore, museums, libraries, recreation and activity centres 
provide hours of fun and they are not just for kids!


This beautiful tray caught my eye and was purchased recently...
at a local gift shop on sale at half price!
It works well on the boat or at the cottage.



Here is a snapshot from the archives...
taken at Sidney Spit Marine Park on one of our summer visits.

Our family love the sea, enjoy cottage life and boating...
I met my husband many years ago while boating
 I was just 15 !
so this love of ocean and marine life has deep roots and it keeps us connected.

We feel very fortunate to live so close to the Salish Sea.

Do you love the sea?

I must close for now and get some work done here in The Humble Bungalow!

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

18 comments:

awhiterockgarden said...

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for the tip on the discovery centre.

Petal49 said...

The Discovery Centre looks wonderful. I have taken my grandson to visit some here in Australia and he loves the interaction in the 'touching' exhibits. It's a great way for children to learn and appreciate what is around them even when its not always visible.

Susan said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful place and lovely photos
I love the sea very much,not only during the summer when it is warm and beautiful for swimming and diving,but during all seasons-walking or sitting by the sea ,the air,sipping coffee in an open air cafe.... actually,I'm going there again soon and am looking forward
Dottoressa

KSL said...

Our family loves the ocean/sea as well. I can't imagine not living near the ocean. Your aquarium looks amazing and I absolutely love that tray you bought.

Madame Là-bas said...

I do love the ocean! I'm not a lake person. There is no place like the seashore with its creatures. How much fun for the little one! She looks engrossed.

Margie from Toronto said...

I love the Ripley's Aquarium here in Toronto - I find it fascinating.

Lorrie said...

Our grandchildren also love the Discovery Centre. The ocean is infinitely fascinating. Love the photo of the crab holding the mussel shell.

LadyJicky said...

My grand kids love a aquarium .

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The undersea world is so vibrant...divers and snorklers must love it!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Science centres and museums are a great place to take the grandchildren...so much to see and do. The hands on activities are really wonderful for the young ones...I love watching their faces light up and the smiles and laughter makes me feel so happy.
Enjoy your "grandma time!"

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I took some videos that I posted on Instagram too...not sure if you saw the jellyfish.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

There is something special about the sea...hope you have a lovely getaway Dottoressa.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The tray is really quite different from the usual items that I buy...the aquatic design "spoke to me!"

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We have never spent much time at lakes...the tides makes a difference and there are also beaches to explore. Lira really is a sweetheart...they are all so different and I love how each of them have their own unique personality.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Toronto has so many wonderful places to visit...we really must go there sometime.
Its difficult travelling as my husband is still working fulltime.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

As you know Its a great place to visit and it is a good option on a rainy fall day...
how was that tomato soup that you made?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I remember when the Undersea Gardens was in Oak Bay at the Marina...I had an annual pass and would visit nearly every week!