Monday, September 17, 2018

September routines...

September in The Humble Bungalow Garden
loudly and clearly signals the end of summer...

the days are shorter
the flowers fade

Cooler temperatures
salty ocean breezes
foggy mists shroud the garden
petals fall
plants change colour
leaves begin to fall from the trees



Jude The Obscure has put on such an amazing show this summer!
I cannot remember a year when our roses have performed so well.

There have been many hours invested in dead heading 
which encourages repeat flushes of flowers 
the effort has definitely paid off...

We may even enjoy blooms well into the fall.

I've noticed many spider webs in the garden 
which also signal that Fall is coming soon.

My energy and enthusiasm in the garden is waning...

the
new
season 
changes our focus 
moving hobbies indoors 
instead of outside.

A general tidy up is happening...
in the garden and soon the closet!

The wardrobe swap out was accomplished this weekend.

It didn't take long
(there are not many clothes)

the bed gets covered with spring and summer clothes
 waiting to go downstairs to the guest room closet.

Many garments are worn all year long...
denim, jeans, dresses
 quite a few tops span the seasons 
with the addition of a vest or cardigan. 

The fall and winter wear is brought upstairs 
then I scrutinize the condition of the items 
donating the pieces are tired or lack lustre.

(I filled a bag!)

Noting items that I need to replace...

I've already purchased Eileen Fisher black pants
a pair of Ralph Lauren tweedy skinny pants.

Last month new lingerie was purchased.

I like to put my sandals away 
bring out my boots and loafers.

I always give them a polish before wearing them
and 
clean and polish the summer shoes 
ready for storage until another season.


The handbags get a treatment too...

This neutral polish works with all of my leather accessories.


The strap on my watch is looking quite worn so I may have to replace it soon.
It is going on 4 or 5 years old so that is not a surprise.

This ESQ watch is so old I cannot remember what year I purchased it...
I do know that my parents gave me some money one Christmas when the children were small.
 I shopped the sales after the holidays and bought it for half price.
It has kept good time all these years...
the style is classic 
which makes it so versatile.


The limelight hydrangeas are the current stars of the Humble Bungalow Garden.
They have been so happy in the warm summer sunshine...
I must remember to pick some to bring inside to dry.
Soon they will crisp up, fade and dry to the colour of straw.

Their shape will hold up through most of the fall and winter 
giving the garden some interest
until they will be cut down in the early Spring.

How is your garden shaping up?

Have you swapped out your clothes for a new season yet?
Have you perused the September issues of Vogue,  Elle or Bazaar?

Do you want to buy some new pieces for Fall?
Have you seen anything in the shops that might tempt you?
I'd love to hear from you!

Well I must close for now and get some chores done around here.

Thank you for stopping by The Humble Bungalow Garden.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

15 comments:

Share my Garden said...

Oh, your Jude looks absolutely beautiful. I don't have him in my garden because the book is SO depressing!
I'm wearing in-between season clothes just now while the weather is mild, light-weight jackets with skirts or trousers and flats. I'm trying not to buy anything for the winter ahead apart from some new ankle boots. Good intentions, but I'm not promising that I'll keep to it!

Jeannine said...

Your rose is lovely. There is much to clean up in the gardens here, but we had so much rain at the end of August (over a foot in a few days) that the mosquitoes are just terrible. And I am a magnet for mosquitoes! You are an inspiration with your polishing and organizing. I have not swapped anything out yet - today was 90 degrees! Oh it was so hot - oppressively so.

Anonymous said...

Still quite warm here so no swap out to Fall clothes. When the weather cools I will cut back the ornamental grasses, and prep flower and shrub areas for winter. I did have my chimneys swept and the bricks re-pointed. I'm also dealing with some poison ivy. Do you know of a good remedy? Wardrobe wise, I can't think of anything I will need for Fall and Winter. Susan

Madame Là-bas said...

Your roses have indeed been beautiful this year! I've got a few items to let go of when I get home. September passes so quickly and those fall activities will be in full swing.

Poppy Q said...

We are the opposite seasons here, so we are putting away our boots and jackets. Our sandals and tshirts are coming out now. The gardens are looking green, and all the flowers are beginning to blossom.

I never read any fashion magazines anymore - stopped buying them 10 years ago and only look at them at the hairdressers, and wonder why people buy them. A whole lot of ugly expensive clothes worn by 13 year olds. I like online blogs better for looking at real people wearing real clothes. Like you and your style - I love your wardrobe.

Julie

KSL said...

Your watch would look great with a red crocodile band - it's your "color". Yes, always stuff I want for fall, but mostly a new jacket of some kind that can go casual to dressy. So hot still in LA...ready for real fall weather. Last year it was over 90 at Thanksgiving, so we'll see.

Anonymous said...

Your roses and hydrangeas are beautiful indeed.
We have still warm weather so I wear my summer things (only nights get colder)-it will change during next weekend (if the forecast is accurate). I'm ready,although I don't like transitional weather
Dottoressa

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The rose is a stunning apricot shade and very fragrant...I have not read the book but the rose is a delight in our garden.
Transitional dressing using layers is the way we ease into Fall here...
the ankle boots are a fabulous addition to any wardrobe! Hope you find a pair that you love.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Yes indeed there is a lot of clean up! It is ongoing as we put the gardens to bed for the season...wow you have some seriously HOT weather! Stay cool.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Susan,
Poison Ivy? Yikes! I am no expert on that plant but I have heard that it is a nasty one when it comes in contact with skin...hope you can get some help getting rid of it.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Your Paris posts are so lovely...it looks like the weather has been nice for strolling along the boulevards. Paris is so beautiful how can one not love being there?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Julie...I have not read any of the September issues...I used to buy them all. Perhaps the reason that i do not buy them anymore is that my wardrobe has been carefully curated and I do not buy trendy items. Have you seen Linda V Wright on Instagram? I really enjoy her posts...which fashion bloggers do you like to read?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Red! That would certainly add a cheerful pop of colour! I have red ballet flats too...
Do you like Anine Bing's line of clothes? She has some fun and interesting styles.
Good luck with your hunt...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Transitional weather can be difficult to dress for but I opt for layers...that way I am able to stay comfortable...using vests and cardigans with a scarf that can be easily removed. Enjoy those last few weeks of warmer weather...we have rain in the forecast.

KSL said...

I have a friend who manages her shop in LA actually. There's another one opening closer to me so I will swing by. I have bought a few things since this post actually :)