Saturday, April 29, 2023

Last Week ~ in a wink of an eye...

 


Gorgeous flowers
a surprise cottage welcome bouquet from a friend.

Springtime seems to have finally arrived at the Cottage...
warmer days and sunny skies.
Such a tonic after all the grey gloom and rain.


~ Thrift Shop Finds ~

Adams English ironstone jug and a well used wood board


A soft wool sweater...
it is lovely but is a wee bit too small.

I have a friend who stretched a lovely wool sweater by washing it in conditioner and manually stretching it back into a larger size!


I hope the conditioner trick works!


Read this book and loved it...
set in a charming picturesque area of Cornwall
involves a woman who has a daughter
is recently separated
and
with her mother buys a rambling old house on a cove by the sea.

This book appealed to me on so many levels...
I would LOVE to buy an old rambling home by the sea and redecorate!!


If one cannot have a rambling old home by the sea...
how about a week at the cottage once a month?
(I cannot nor dare not complain, I am immensely grateful)

My husband brought a few lettuce plants with us so we could harvest it fresh.
He really has discovered his "green thumb" upon his retirement.


The expansive sea views feed my soul.
They never "get old" and there is always something to see.

Boats, otters, whales, birds...


I baked a sourdough boule and two kinds of cookies.


Found a "flat oyster" shell on the beach...
they are a European variety.

I walk the local beaches daily in search of sea glass and the occasional shell.
I am surprised by the amount of glass I find.
There must be 8 or 9 jars full downstairs here in The Humble Bungalow.
What to do with it?

I suppose if I felt creative I could make mosaics...
for now I just keep it on the window ledge in the vintage sealer jars.


Have you read Anne Morrow Lindbergh's book Gift From The Sea?
I love the gentle story that she weaves of her time spent alone in a small rustic cabin on the beach.

She went there to rest, restore and recharge...
we all need a place to find solace and peace.

Years ago when life was really busy and hectic I went to the Spa for relaxation.
It was not a frugal option, but I was working and could justify the expense.

As a retiree, now living on a pension, I chose to find relaxation in Nature.


~ Things I find soothing ~

puttering in the garden
 reading a good book
knitting
sipping a cup of tea from a pretty vintage cup
baking bread
walking
beach combing
soaking in the tub
looking in thrift shops
ironing linens 

What do you find soothing?

Our week at the cottage passed so fast...
in the blink of an eye and here we are back home in The Humble Bungalow.

Well I have a busy week ahead...
lots of social things planned and will be catching up with friends.

How about You?
What does your week ahead have in store?
Hope its a good one.

Until next time...

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

11 comments:

Jeannine said...

You've mentioned Gift from the Sea at other times through the years - I have read it but it's been so, so long. It's obviously a meaningful book and I think I need to indulge in it again. Thanks for that. I'm getting together with my good friend from high school this week. We grew up in Michigan and she's the only one from that time that I still have an ongoing and strong friendship with. Strangely enough we both ended up in Wisconsin about an hour and a half from each other. Now that we're both retired we're able to get together a little more often than years past when we were raising children and working. Speaking of working, I am back working some - I always told my form co-workers that I would be willing to come back on a temporary, part-time basis after I retired. I'm only working 10 - 15 hours a week - totally on my schedule. So I'll also be working a couple partial days this week.

Sheila said...

I don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but you take beautiful pictures, Leslie! Thanks so much for sharing your week, your flowers, your vistas, your thrift finds (you should be able to gently pull that sweater out a bit larger when it's wet - you might need to do it a few times), and your view. I love the sea-glass.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy my garden,and having time to experiment with new recipes. I also have time to read!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, thank you! I was raised near the ocean and have spent most of my adult life living on the prairie. I love both, and find peace in the sound of the wind in the tall grass and wheat, especially near harvest time. Watching the rippling of the grass and wheat in the wind reminds me of the movement of waves.

KSL said...

Hi Leslie, I've heard that soaking a sweater in lukewarm water with fabric softener for two hours (to loosen the fibers) and then blocking it so it stretches, works very well. I'm going to try it on one of my sweaters that I shrunk.
Your cottage by the sea is so wonderful and relaxing looking. xo

Patricia said...

What a nice post for Spring, with blooms in my favourite colours. One week a month in a cottage by the sea sounds absolute bliss. What a great arrangement for retirement. I remember reading Gift from the Sea when my children were small, over 40 years ago. Now you have reminded me, I think I should read it again. I love you list of soothing activities, very similar to my own, even including ironing linens! I think you already know, my week has something very big in store - a very long plane flight from here to Canada - Yay :)

LadyJicky said...

Enjoy your spring ... my winter is on the way here.

Susan said...

I love your posts about the cottage as much as I like the pots about your craftsman style home. Thank you for introducing me to beach glass. I'll be looking for it when we visit our son and his family on Long Island this summer.

Brenda N said...

Hi Leslie, Lovely inspiring photos as always. After seeing your recommendation, I ordered "The White Hare". Started it 2 nights ago, almost done and I don't want it to end! Just enchanting. We've had a little wild bunny in our backyard last night and this morning (eating groundcover), not a hare but it stirs my imagination!

Anonymous said...

I've read Gifts from the Sea many times and have also given this book as a hostess gift.
I'm also a beach glass collector. For ideas on what to do with it check Pinaterest. Tons and tons of ideas! My sister has created many things with sea glass.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Jeannine - If you re-read A Gift From the Sea I will be interested if you find it still resonates with you...I found it more insightful upon subsequent reads.

Sheila - Thank you for your comment about the photos...I have fun capturing images and I frequently edit them.

Kathy - I still haven't done anything with the sweater...it has been a really busy week! Your tulipieres are looking amazing!

Patricia - Did you watch the coronation of the King last night? You may be in Canada by now...hope that you are having a lovely visit.

Lady Jicky - Spring weather is all over the map...rain, sun, wind and we await a longer stretch of sunshine! Stay cozy.

Susan - Long Island sounds idyllic...I have read many books set there...hope you have a wonderful visit.

Brenda N - I hope you enjoyed The White Hare...it was a fun book for me as I loved the setting and the
characters.