Sunday, November 8, 2020

Shopping and de-cluttering

 


Fan Tan Alley in Victoria's historic Chinatown.

A place of interest for locals and visitors.
I enjoy going to chinatown and perusing the shops.
There are also some fabulous restaurants for Asian cuisine.

One of my favourite shops is Fan Tan Gallery.
They stock housewares, home decor items, cards, candles, soaps, gifts.
Baby clothes, books and toys.

An assortment of clothing...
many natural fabrics ~ linen and bamboo and wool.
An array of beautiful accessories and scarves.

On my last visit I left without purchasing a thing 
 I came away with some inspiration for our home decor.


On my neighbourhood walks I try to mix up the routes so that I don't get bored.

My usual walks are along the waterfront where I enjoy the changing views.
When I wander through the streets and gaze at other gardens 
I come home and look at The Humble Bungalow Garden with fresh eyes...
I really savour these meandering wanders.

Cook Street Village is a few blocks long and it has a lot of small shops.
 Coffee, grocery stores, cafes, pharmacy, hair salons, butcher shop, 
health food store, clothing retailer, two antique and collectible shops, 
a garden centre and more...

When I saunter down to the village I am usually on a "mission." 
Frequently I need an ingredient for a recipe that I am making.
 
Sometimes I just want to peruse the antique and collectible shops.

That was my plan the other day...

As I was walking my eye wandered to a store display 
hanging in the window was a cute top.

I masked up and walked in to find my size, tried it on, it fit, and that was it!

This black and white striped top skims my wobbly bits, has 3/4 length sleeves 
in a longer tunic length great for skinny pants or yoga pants.
The V neck works best for me as I am really quite short and rather busty.

The fabric is heavy enough that it doesn't cling and drapes beautifully.

I'll wear this top a lot
Fall through Winter and into Spring.


I culled many of my cook books...
placing them in the wee library across the street and they were snapped up.

My Covid goal is to tidy every cupboard, shelf, drawer and room 
in The Humble Bungalow.

One a day...
in no time I will be finished this task.

I just took 4 large bags to the local charity shop.
Boy it feels so good to pare down.


Hope that you are doing well, staying safe, and being mindful of the Covid Protocols.

Have you taken up any new hobbies or cultivated any new habits?

Are you cooking up a storm?

Baking bread?

What is keeping you sane during these isolating times?

Thank you for popping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

18 comments:

lovsjaz said...

As always, I so enjoy your posts. Little bits of this and that..makes me happy. Thank you!

lovsjaz said...

Always enjoy your posts. Thank you for your inspirations and beautiful photos!

materfamilias said...

That's a great top and will fit so well with your wardrobe. . . You've got such fabulous neighbourhoods to walk through. . . and then the beach, so many great shops, wonderful heritage homes and beautifully landscaped yard. . .

Patricia said...

What a lovely post with great pictures as always ! I am with you - spending lots of time alone, so trying to stay busy organizing the house. I have given away quite a lot to charity as well and it does feel good. Have to come up with a project for the long winter ahead (I am in Cleveland Ohio and we get lots of snow and many gray, cold days) so I think I am going to take on a big project and paint the basement ! I enjoy your blog very much - you have a lovely, calm, approach to life that inspires me to be the same....

Cindy K. said...

I truly enjoyed this post. The highlight for me was the picture of your cat. Beautiful!

La Contessa said...

Well, doNOT TOSS THAT CAT!HE IS ADORABLE!
YES, THE ITALIAN made bread yesterday and pizza BIANCA!
He gets Flour everywhere!!!
I loved China Town as a little girl...........in SAN FRANCISCO.
WE have a JAPAN TOWN too which I need to check out.
STAYING HOME really not many places to visit and cant say I would want too.ALL GOOD IN THE ABODE but I am tired of my cooking!!XX

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Your kind comment makes ME HAPPY!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I enjoy taking photos...I use my IPhone and it takes remarkably good pictures.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Your walks inspire me...False Creek and the views are so beautiful. You've been keeping busy Frances. Seeing your recnt post reminds me that I must get back to my knitting. Hope you have a fabulous week!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Our homes are the safe centre of our world right now...so cleaning and de-cluttering, rearranging, are at the forefront. Plus I have a feeling of being in control, when everything else is beyond my control!!
Snow is also in the forecast here but at higher elevations...BRR
Painting the basement will be a fun project! My husbands' cousin painted hers this past summer....she painted it white as the windows are so small and she even painted the floors but that was in a soft grey shade...she also got rid of a bunch of stuff. So satisfying taking on a project that also improves your surroundings.
Take care Patricia.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Chester is a real character...he loves getting into mischief...you'd thik that he was still a kitten! Hope that you have a great week Cindy.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Flour has a tendency to float around here in my kitchen too! I made buns last night and had to sweep up the evidence! Pizza Bianco sounds wonderful...
We went to the large China Town when we visited San Francisco...it reminded us of ours...both these spots were built during the gold rush...SF and Victoria were ports that the gold prospectors and miners disembarked from the ships. I love the historic significance of these areas.
I was tired of cooking until purchased Ina's new cookbook now I am re-energized!
Stay Safe and take care Elizabeth.
XO

Madame La-Bas said...

Fan Tan Alley always makes me think of White Jade Tiger by Julie Lawson. I loved that book for the study of Gold Rush. We definitely don't go far these days. I'm reading, cooking, walking
and playing with our dog. I like your top. It will be so comfortable for 3 season wear. More decluttering is in store for me too. Take care!

Victoria gal said...

I shop at WIN often and a manager told me they are really struggling right now which makes me sad.

I have a one in one out rule so my donation bag is always in my closet. I like to give things that are very wearable and stylish as I am sure you do.
Love that new top. Very versatile!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Julie Lawson lives here and she has written quite a few books that are centered around Victoria. When I worked in the library at James Bay Community School I arranged to have her visit and she was so gracious with her time and inspired many of us with her presentations.
My BFF is getting a puppy early in December. Many people here are adopting or buying dogs. We have 2 cats so there are no dogs in our immediate future!
Take care

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I shopped at WIN a lot before Covid...I must pop in again as they have a great assortment of vintage and designer pieces. I don't need much though and I too try to keep a balance with things coming in and things going out!!

Unknown said...

Looking for some new everyday recipies. Do you have any cookbooks that you would recommend?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am totally smitten with Ina Garten's new cookbook released last month...Modern Comfort Food. I like to use many of her recipes from her other books too as they have never failed.