Monday, November 16, 2020

Fashion with a Vintage Vibe ~ French themed books


When I visited Paris in 2015 I met a savvy young stylist named Alois Guinut.
She led a workshop on French fashion and style 
for women on The Ooh La La Tour.

The tour was arranged and led by author Jamie Cat Callan.

You may have read some of her books...
( if you haven't already read her books you may want to!)

French Women Don't Sleep Alone: Pleasurable Secrets to Finding Love 
Bonjour Happiness: Secrets to Finding Your Joie de Vivre
Ooh La La!: French Women's Secrets to Feeling Beautiful Every Day
Parisian Charm School: French Secrets for Cultivating Love, Joy and That Certain Je Ne Sais Quoi




I took notes at the workshop as I was so inspired by this young woman.
When I returned home I decided to add some French flair to my daily outfits.

Not too long after I returned I learned that Alois had written a new book
"Dress Like a Parisian."
 I knew that I had to buy it and read more about this fascinating style.

I have just finished reading 
"Why French Women Wear Vintage and other secrets of sustainable style."

There are lots of great ideas here and as I am a passionate second hand, consignment, and thrift shopper so this fits right into my values of recycling and my current relaxed lifestyle.

My wardrobe is streamlined and minimalist with a colour palette based on black, white and greys that makes it easy to mix and match items.
I have denim jeans and chambray shirts too.
I add a pop of colour with accessories.

Alois shares some fun ways to add fun and flair to the classic basics.

I plan to look for more "unique accessories" when I venture out in the second hand consignment and charity shops
as well as
perusing
 ETSY and EBAY 
for more vintage finds.

Now I want to re-read her first book!

Hope that you are keeping well.
Are you cooking, baking, knitting, crafting or reading to stay safe during Covid?


 'French Exit ' a new fragrant candle from the company Cancelled Plans.

Scented candles add ambiance to our Humble Bungalow.
When the Fall and Winter weather gets gloomy I can't think of anything easier
 than lighting a candle to add a warm glow and a beautiful fragrance.

Thank you for stopping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

Hope that you are staying safe, wearing your mask and washing your hands!

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~


 

7 comments:

Madame La-Bas said...

When my daughter and I visited Paris in 2018, we toured a lot of vintage stores. They are great places to find fashion items from other decades. We have a shop called Bon Retour where D gets a lot of clothes. While many of the sizes are smaller, I've picked up some Eileen Fisher knits and some Italian linen. I've just started reading Camilla Lackberg mysteries because a neighbour passed on a book. We share our books these days as everyone is doing lots of reading. I'm working on a stitchery dachshund. I might become one of those old ladies with lots of cushions if the pandemic persists. Dog walks and puttering...all healthy activities.

La Contessa said...

Pouring rain here today.......Had two appointments One video call and got the GROCERY SHOPPING DONE!Feel EXHAUSTED.........Now to create a dinner.......just want to curl up and READ!BOOKS LOOK FABULOUS!XX

Rosie said...

I am enjoying reading your blog and look forward to seeing some photos of your charity shop finds and your styling. I have been having difficulty lately finding my style as most styles seem to be for the younger ones. I am in my 70's and am struggling to feel good in my clothes as I don't feel there is much for my age group and don't want to feel like "mutton dressed up as lamb".

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We all need to keep busy during the pandemic as the isolation can make us feel stressed.
I love finding Eileen Fisher in good shape at the consignment shops. Vintage is definitely a thing in Paris. There’s a fabulous high end shop Didier in Paris that is full of Designer items...some items we saw were Hermes Kelly bags and Chanel jackets and lovely silk scarves. I must pick up my knitting again...the days are getting colder and darker I can sip tea and light a candle.
Enjoy your stitching.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We are watching the Crown on Netflix. Rationing ourselves to one episode at a sitting. I am going grocery shopping today. The fridge looks empty! Walking with a friend and will try a new recipe from Ina’s new cookbook.
Stay well

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Ah yes dressing can be tricky for women if a certain age...I am no expert but I do try to keep my outfits simple and neutral with pops of colour. I am enjoying wearing my skinny knit Eileen Fisher pants with a white longer shirt. Collar up and sleeves rolled to the elbow with my pearls. Red lipstick 💄 and red ballet flats. I don’t follow trends much but I do look on Instagram what chic Parisian influencers are wearing.

Lorrie said...

I love the classic and individual style of French fashion. I've not heard of this author and will look for her books. How great to have had that personal experience with her in Paris.
I am teaching half-time now, and loving having my mornings at home. I'm sewing and baking and doing some things in preparation for a new grandchild and for Christmas.
Stay well!