Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Snippets, tidbits and good books...

Holdays are such a gift...
time to relax, cocoon and embrace the good things in life.

We sleep well here at the cottage.
There is a gentle calm pulsing throughout our days...

As we spend a lot of time outside in the fresh air...
dining al fresco, walking, swimming, reading.

These slow days contribute to our well being and we are usually in bed asleep just after 9pm...
we wake and watch the light as it brightens and moves across The Salish Sea.

The bark of the arbutus trees are peeling which reveals a limey green layer under the rich amber colour...these are a feature in our views as we have several of these lovely trees growing at the edge of the sea.

Birds flitter about, gather and sing...
they seem to be drawn to the limbs of these trees.



I read this engaging mystery novel in a day...
a real page turner set on The French Riviera.
You might enjoy it!


The old stove died a few days ago and the general manager was able to order a new one and have it delivered to our small island in a day!
This is quite remarkable and we were very happy as we have no local access to shops and the ferry service is limited.


Local Sea Star Vineyards make excellent award winning wines.

Their Encore is a rich full bodied red wine...
perfect with a BBQ steak, baked potatoes and green beans.


Things break...

My Fit Bit battery died and I went online to get a replacement and was surprised to learn they are not available!
OH NO!

You are meant to purchase a new FitBit...
well that was a shock, 
so I have decided not to replace it.

My husband says I should buy an IWatch but I am reluctant...

I am wearing one of the vintage sterling bangles that I have in my collection...
this one a sweet gift from our darling daughter Jennifer.


Campus Queen from 1968


Fresh halibut, steamed broccoli and wild rice with sauteed mushrooms.

Yummy Halibut

To cook the halibut I dip it in flour, salt and pepper
saute in a wee bit of oil and butter
cook until skin is somewhat brown and fish is white and flaky
squeeze the juice from a fresh lemon overtop and add a tablespoon of capers.

Easy and so flavourful
Enjoy!


Read this gem yesterday.

A real binge read..
could not put it down
  I am considering re-reading all of the Jane Austin classics.


Am heading to the bookstore today as I have read all the books that I brought for our holiday.

Hope that you are staying safe.

Our Covid case numbers have increased here over the past few weeks.
It is alarming and we continue to keep our "bubble" small.
We wear our masks when we are out in the shops.
Hand washing and sanitizer are used constantly.

Feeling so thankful for the fresh air and sunshine.

The ability to be out safely in nature
soaking in all of the beauty that surrounds us
is soothing during these uncertain times.

Stay Safe.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

27 comments:

Lorrie said...

A lovely post. I read the Jane Austen Society a few weeks ago, and recently finished another similar book - Cassandra and Jane by Jill Pitkeathly - written from Cassandra's point of view.
Your bracelet looks much prettier than a fitbit, which I'm currently wearing. I do wish they would come up with something more attractive.
Delicious food, lovely views, and relaxing days sound like a perfect way to spend time in August.

Madame La-Bas said...

Such an idyllic existence! Fresh air, wine, books and healthy meals are the essentials of a holiday. I use an app on my iPhone to count my steps and it measures the same as my daughter's Fitbit. Like you, I gave up the Fitbit when the bracelet cracked. I wonder what books you'll find. Louise Penny has got a new book coming, I think. I haven't finished my August books because I bought some books at Munro's when I was in Victoria. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Georgia said...

Enjoy your lovely Pender Island vacation! Thanks for the recommendations of books and wine. :)

Jeannine said...

Your getaway sounds so wonderful, relaxing, refreshing.

Doona said...

THis fitness tracker has replaceable battery: at Amazon Garmin 010-01995-10 Vivosmart 4, Activity and Fitness Tracker w/ Pulse Ox and Heart Rate Monitor, Midnight W/ Black Band, 0.75 Inches

Doona said...

I read the Jane Austin Society and liked it,too. Great book!

kateR said...

Lovely time away! Be sure to read The Other Bennet Sister. It’s terrific and I’d love to see a filmed adaptation of it. I’ll read anything with an Austen theme.

Patricia said...

It is wonderful how nature helps to protect us, particularly in these times. Life on Pender Island looks just perfect - I would love to be there too! We also have increased covid lately, and Queenslanders are at last beginning to take to wearing masks. It seems the best idea to me. That is interesting about the FitBit. I was going to get one, but decided to continue to use my phone, which has a daily step count which I keep an eye on. It misses a few steps per day but I factor that in :)

Mary said...

So impressed you were able to get a new stove in just a day. And on an island, no less. Still awaiting a dishwasher ordered July 5th. After being given four different delivery dates in July/August, the store finally contacted the manufacturer--everything on backlog. Proposed new delivery date: September 10th. Not holding my breath.

Share my Garden said...

What a lovely spot you have with such a beautiful view across the water.
I love both the book and the film of 'The Jane Austin Society' and have seen and read them more than once! Such a warm-hearted storyline. I have returned to my neglected kindle while lockdown continues although I much prefer to handle a real book.

La Contessa said...

I will try your halibut!
The books look GOOD!
NO I WATCH............They are hideous to look at and you need to be able to walk away from the calls,texts and etc.........
LUCKY YOU ON AN ISLAND ESCAPE!I must look up SALISH SEA...........XX

Asha Nadkarni said...

You sure are lucky to have a cottage on Pender Island. It is such a lovely getaway, with the serene beauty of nature all around. Actually before this pandemic, we had booked tickets on the Alaska Cruise, and were going to spend time in Vancouver and Victoria, both beautiful places. But alas, it was not to be. I haven’t read The Jane Austen Society, but have read her other books, and am currently reading Sense & Sensibility. Last year we did a literary tour of the UK, and visited Jane Austen’s House in Chawton and Bath, among other places. That made me read her books all over again.

Victoria gal said...

You are indeed very fortunate to be able to relax and holiday during what is such a stressful time for many.
My nursing friends are so in need of breaks like yours.
Here’s to a healthy fall for,all!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

My friend has a pretty FitBit strap that is silver mesh. It looks much nicer than my former one which was basically black plastic. We are so fortunate to be able to have holidays. The Covid cases are creeping up which is rather unsettling. Hope we can reduce the number of new cases soon.
Your garden is looking lovely Lorrie!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am looking forward to reading Louise Penny’s new mystery! Books are a gift...they are helping me immensely through this pandemic. I bought some books at Munro’s too...from the sale table! Will pop them in our wee library when I return home.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Hope you have time to relax and read. Holidays on the Gulf Islands are very popular this year with so many people staying close to home.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We are making the most of our time away!
Soon we will return home and get busy in the daily routines. The garden will need some TLC for sure!!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It was a cute book...I need to read some original Austen books again!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I added that title to my list thank you! Jane Austen books are timeless classics. I plan to read a few of them again this fall and winter.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Our Covid numbers are up too! Rather unsettling and we are avoiding exposure to others. Masks at the shops and only dining outdoors in cafes and restaurants. I will rely on my IPhone for step counting from now on...take care and stay safe Patricia.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We were impressed with the delivery of the stove as well! Thought it might be a week at least but our manager did a great job. Hope your dishwasher will arrive soon. I imagine Covid is the reason for the backlog. Factory workers will need to be distancing so fewer on the job at the same time.
Good luck!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I will have to watch that film! I don’t have a kindle so I read books! Some are heavy too which makes a kindle sound appealing!
Take care!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Hope you enjoyed the halibut recipe. I do the same with a thin chicken breast.
I need to walk more when I get back home from holidays...eating, drinking wine and reading make for added pounds!!!
Stay safe !

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Your UK tour sounds wonderful !
Jane Austen classics are well worth re-reading.
We enjoyed our cruise to Alaska last summer but would definitely not go during Covid! Too many people on the boat! Hope you can book again when the pandemic has run its course. The Covid numbers here are up again which is disconcerting...hope we don’t have revert to total lockdown again.
Stay safe.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We ARE very fortunate to be able to escape to the cottage for a couple of weeks! One of our neighbour’s at the cottage is a retired nurse who has just been hired to do contact tracing. The province is hiring many retirees to help with the pandemic. Hope your nurse friends are able to get some time off soon. A well deserved break will help. Take care

stacey said...

Those of us with access to the outdoors are indeed lucky. I feel sorry for city dwellers who can't get outside safely for a break from everything.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am so thankful that we are able to be out in the fresh air! Nature is so soothing during these uncertain times.