Sunday, May 3, 2020

Ups and downs during the Pandemic...


Parrot tulips with chartreuse streaks...

Mother Nature could have painted these sweet flowers herself.


I love the modernist icy Tapio Wirkkala Finnish vases.

They cleverly camouflage the flower stems.


I cannot imagine my life without flowers.
Can You?

I suppose that is why I toil for hours in our garden.

Hopeful that seeds, tubers and bulbs will grow and flourish.

Gardening is a quiet hobby
one that offers many rewards.

Tending and creating a garden has so many benefits

fresh air
 exercise
nature
birdsong
bees 
butterflies

"My extravagance is my garden - 
it's the first thing I look at every morning when I wake up. 
It gives me so much pleasure."

~ Ina Garten ~


Flowers have the power to elevate even the humblest of vessels...
from a jam jar to a crystal vase.


We are flying a new flag here in The Humble Bungalow.
It is flown in support and gratitude for the front line workers
who are helping us all stay safe during the pandemic.

We purchased this flag at The Victoria Flag Shop on Fort Street.

Each night at 7pm we are out banging pots and pans with our neighbours
to let the workers know that we are grateful for their work.


Current read Mary Coin by Marisa Silver
an interesting book so far and I am almost halfway through the story.

Am seriously looking for some book suggestions 
as I am running out of books fast!


Hope that you are managing to stay safe and are feeling cozy in the comfort of your own home.

We are living through such unusual times...
some days are better than others.

I read that we might be modifying our way of life for the next couple of years.
Perhaps we will never go back to those carefree days?

Who knows?

We just have to take it one day at a time and do our best.

I miss so many things

family
friends
entertaining at home and being entertained at other peoples homes
our bridge games
knitting group meetings
sitting sipping coffee at the cafe
the freedom to go shopping and browse in a store
the local library and bookshops
the pool and yoga studio
lunching out with my gal friends
the spa and hair salon
dinners out with friends
going to the cottage
travel

"May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears."
~  Nelson Mandela ~


"Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness."

~  Desmond Tutu ~


Take care.
XO

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

22 comments:

Polly said...

A beautiful post. I love tulips, and I love my garden, for all the reasons you have given.

annette said...

Have you read The BookWoman of Troublesome Creek? It is similar to The Giver of Stars,but perhaps a bit more authentic.

Madame La-Bas said...

Lovely tulips! I just ordered Life in the Garden by Penelope Lively and The Other Einstein (Mrs)
because I need some more books. The lilies of the valley are so pretty. They are the flower of friendship in France.

stacey said...

You are so lucky to live in such a verdant and beautiful place. I left my heart in British Columbia when I lived there for too short a time. I still remember the dinner plate dahlias and dogwoods blooming. Florence Owens Thompson is the woman in the famous photograph on your book cover. That picture was taken in Nipomo California about 8 miles from where I live now. She is worth reading about if you want to look up her life story online.

Sheila said...

I was surprised at how few tulips I saw on my recent walk through Fairfield and down to Dallas Rd. I thought there would be tons! Yours are incredibly gorgeous. I did pinch off a sprig of lilac while I was out, making sure it was a piece that was hanging out over the sidewalk (totally pubic, then, right?). :) I love the fragrance.

I am missing my old activities - I just ordered a care package from my hairdresser, and have optimistically booked a haircut in June. I'm also going to go shopping at Turnabout in Oak Bay tomorrow! I'm excited!

Glad to hear from you, L! Hugs to you and your kitties and Mr. Hostess. :)

MabonMoon said...

How I miss all those things too! But especially being able to hug family members we don't live with. Dr. Bonnie Henry is so inspiring, making us want to comply with the restriction. That may be easing somewhat this week... I too wonder if life will ever be the same. Glad to see you are well, and safe, Leslie. Your posts are lovely.

BuffaloGal said...

I find that I am drawn to lighter reading these days. Have you tried the series by Alexander McCall Smith The Ladies Number One Detective Agency? As unlikely as it sounds, it is set in Botswana and features a woman who sets up the first female owned detective agency in the country. It is charming, with well drawn and believable characters who paint an accurate picture of life in this beautiful country. The series has over 12 books now, so if you find it to your liking, there are books in the wings. That, in my opinion, is always to be desired.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We are very fortunate that we have a garden in which to get "lost" during this strange and scary time. It is a wonderful distraction!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh that sounds like a fabulous book! Will add it to my list thank you annette!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I just put Life in the Garden on my list for Ivy's Books ! Thank you :-))

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The dogwood blooms are beautiful and stunning right now.
I just finished the book and read about the famous photograph in the author's comments. Sounds like you live in a scenic part of the country. Hope that you are keeping well and staying safe.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I think the reason that you saw so few tulips on your walk is because the deer LOVE them and eat them before most other snacks. That lilac was just waiting for you Sheila! We used to have one in our garden but it got some kind of disease and we had to remove it...I love the scent of lilacs.
SHOPPING in real life OH that IS exciting. Have fun and good luck.
All the best to you and your husband.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I heard that Dr. Bonnie Henry has been nominated for The Order of Canada! She certainly deserves to be recognized...speaking of being recognized when my husband was out for his walk along Dallas Road yesterday she ran past him!!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I have read most of that series and there is a new one out now...it is a very popular series for all the reasons that you mention.
Take care and stay safe.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Oh my! Those beautiful tulips and the vase is so lovely.

You might enjoy, if you haven't read them, Charles Todd's Ian Rutledge series. I also just finished a wonderful book, The Splendid and the Vile, an extraordinary account of Churchill's first year as prime minister during the blitz. wonderfully and interestingly written with great details. It is currently on the best seller list.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you for the book suggestions...I appreciate the time that you took to leave your comment Adrienne. Hope that you are staying well and enjoying your lovely garden.

LadyJicky said...

I have been meaning to tell you ... the book "The Women in Black" was made into a movie too.
Its a rather good and reminds me of my childhood in Australia.

Jen Lawrence said...

Beautiful flowers. I am embracing my garden for the first time and really enjoying it. I love the flag. Stay safe!

Sharon said...

if you haven't read them--the wonderful life with a garden books by Beverley Nichols.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I heard that there was a film made in Australia. I will see if I can find it and watch it. The story was quite lovely set in an idyllic time...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Gardens offer us so much! Glad to hear that you are enjoying yours too!
Take care Jen.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I have a friend who has those books I must see about borrowing the series. That you for mentioning them.
Take care Sharon.