Saturday, May 30, 2020

My Cup Runneth Over...with thanks and gratitude.


Hey Jude!
David Austin Rose Jude the Obscure
 a favourite rose in The Humble Bungalow Garden.

Those of you who follow me on Instagram 
will probably have seen the latest addition in The Humble Bungalow Garden.
It sits in the "work area" of the garden where we keep big bins of potting soil, the stakes, wheelbarrow and our bin filled with firewood.


My clever husband made this potting table.

I had shown him one I liked on Pinterest 
which was simply two sawhorses with and plank on top. 
 This deluxe table with shelves is what he designed and built!

I am VERY pleased and happy with this beautiful table!


I had fun getting things out of the shed and I made a trip to a vintage shop in The Cook Street Village called Kay's Korner.
With shop keeper Karin helping
we gathered together some charming pieces that will add ambiance.


The old broken pitchfork and shears that I have kept 
for whimsical garden accent pieces are finally getting used!


The shovel will be great for potting and repotting plants.


Karin sold me this cute chair which I spray painted black to go with the metal bistro table that I have had for several years.
It sits on the small north facing patio 
 in a "garden room" 
of hydrangeas, roses, lady's mantle, dwarf apple trees and hostas.

There was a knock on the front door as I sat reading my book 
 lo and behold it was Karin...
She brought me a gift!


Karin is a very talented artist and she makes cheerful whimsical greeting cards.
She made this sign for me to hang above my new potting table...
I knew she was one in a million and this just proved it!
THANK YOU KARIN


David Austin's Graham Thomas Rose
the former "star of the work area"
the potting table has taken that new title!!

Hope that you are enjoying your weekend activies...

There is a light rain falling here
we've been reading our books
spaghetti sauce is simmering on the stove top
birds are singing cheerfully outside the windows.

At this very moment feeling content and calm...

feelings are fleeting and temporary 
 golden moments like these are a welcome respite from the 
horrific events that continue to occur in our world.


~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

13 comments:

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Your husband did a wonderful job, it is brilliant! I love how he used corbels to hold up the shelves. And you have accessorized it all beautifully. What a treat.

Madame La-Bas said...

That's a lovely table! I like your vintage accessories. I looked for your friend's shop online after you mentioned it. It was so kind of her to make you the sign. I'm just reading books, blogs and watching my tomato blossoms (early girl and jelly bean, yeah). We are fortunate to be comfortable and living in a peaceful situation.

Sheila said...

That is such a thoughtful thing to do, well done, Mr. HB! And then your decorating is so pretty and artsy, including the addition of that newly-blacked chair. I used to pop into Kay's Korner all the time when I lived in the Village back in the 90s. I still regret passing up a vintage Turkish rug that was only $69!! So sweet of Karin to make you that sign. Aw, it's a nice reminder that people are MOSTLY still good!

Hang in there, L!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

He's a very clever craftsman! I am always impressed by his eye for detail and skills.
It will be a joy working at this potting table!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Glad that your renovations are over and that you are enjoying your new balcony and tomato plants. We crave peace in these troubled times...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Karin is a very kind and thoughtful woman. I adore her shop! If I had a bigger home I would have purchased a LOT more...as it is I have found some real treasures in her shop and a reasonable prices. I have sourced quite a few modernist pieces for my adult children too.
I do believe in kindness and the Golden Rule but I am terribly old fashioned!
Stay Well Sheila

Margie from Toronto said...

What a gorgeous garden you have - I hope it brings you a lot of peace and happiness, especially right now.
Take care.

Michelle said...

Nice work Mr. Humble! It's so nice to have a handy hubby, and nice to have a bit of outdoor space at counter height to do some garden work.

I planted a few mini-roses, but really struggle with roses. I think here in Prince Rupert is is too damp. The buds tend to turn black before they get a chance to bloom, or I am constantly battling little bugs that eat all the leaves.

Your roses are envious! Enjoy.

Robin in Umbria said...

Hello Leslie,
I think this is the first time I have ever commented, though I have read along for years. I think I tried, but it had something to do with Safari. I want you to know I think your potting bench is beautiful, and I love that your darling husband built it, and it shows what a kind person you are, to be so grateful. How sweet of him!
Please stay well and sane during these trying times, Robin

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I find so much comofrt and solace in our garden..and in these troubled times it is a real gift. Hope you are feeling well and enjoying the warmer weather.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

My husband is a very clever fellow! He has such a great eye for design and is very handy with tools! I am very fortunate and I do appreciate his skills. I make his favourite meals as a thank you!
We have to use Safers soap on the roses and I have some rust and black spot...had to pick all the leaves off of one of the Claire Austin roses as it was so bad! I think we may need to replace it next spring. Roses are a lot of work! But they are beauutiful when they are in bloom.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Hi Robin...Welcome and great to hear from you!
Safari does not allow comments here on my blog, it did in the past but in the last year or so it has changed.
My grandchildren were here yesterday and we took a picture of them in front pf the potting table...I posted it on IG this morning! We had a fun filled day! LUnch on the deck, planted some veggies, played in The Common across the street and blew oodles of bubbles!
Keep well and enjoy the sunny days.

Joyce said...

Hi Leslie; Your whole potting area is wonderful, what a joy to use and enjoy. I have severe trug envy, been looking for one for years.;) And the vintage garden pieces are such an inspired touch. The little shovel is just like one my Dad used to empty ashes from his wood stove, brings back lovely memories of cosy family times. So great you had fun times with your grandchildren and created new family memories. Kind regards to you, Joyce