Monday, April 20, 2020

What I am wearing these days...and a recipe for Pandemic Pasta


The view from our back deck
the climbing Royal Sunset rose will be blooming soon
The rose is incredibly fragrant and blooms in a deep rich apricot shade.



Sunlight and shadows
life is moving rather slow these days.

Have you found that too?

I am pacing myself with domestic jobs, 
in between gardening, reading and knitting.

Today I pulled the vacuum out.

Do I hear applause?

I am hoovering a room 
then stopping for a different task 
before resuming the vacuuming in another area.

I cleaned out the storage area
did two loads of laundry.

Feeling like I have accomplished a lot and deserve a rest now!
Patting myself on the back.

Time to blog!


Chester enjoying a nap in the sunshine.

Our two rescue cats are indoor cats.
We let them go out on the back deck when we are there to supervise.
Making sure they don't jump off the edge and escape into the wild.


Lunaria aka "money plant" is in bloom.

The garden is starting to come alive!

We are planting veggies and are going to build some more raised beds.

Garlic, asparagus, yellow beans and butternut squash are planted out back.

My husband grows cucumbers, radishes and tomatoes in the greenhouse.

We have two dwarf apple trees in the side garden.

For the future raised beds 
we are thinking we may grow 
beets, carrots, swiss chard, broccoli or broccolini
brussel sprouts, cilantro 
and ?


Pandemic Pasta

I roasted a cubed butternut squash 
in the oven at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes.

Cooked the penne noodles according to the package directions.
Drained the pasta topped it with the squash
added some salt, pepper and freshly grated parmigiana reggiano cheese.
Quick and easy dinner
Delicious!


Comfort food and comfy clothes are helping me through the isolation.

I have 2 pairs of yoga pants, both black on rotation...

Most days I am wearing a tunic style black cashmere sweater 
with one of the Yoga pants.

I have another comfy look...
 Eileen Fisher sleeveless linen tanks, one white, one black
with Yoga pants
then I layer my soft denim Gap shirt over top.

Diamond princess cut pendant and diamond stud earrings are worn every day.

I have added pearls on days when I feel like "dressing up!"

I wear scent each morning...
Fig Amore by Bastide from Provence
or
Arlessianne by L'Occitane
also from Provence.

My hair is getting long...
Am wearing it up in a French Roll or a "chignon"
or in a "pony tail" with a velvet scrunchie.


There is a sense of ease in the days here...
no pressure to do anything much.

If I feel lack lustre I will treat myself to a spa at home day.

Sip sparkling mineral water from a pretty etched vintage goblet.

Soak in the clawfoot tub with bath salts.

Light the scented candle.

Moisturize after the bath with some rose scented Andalou lotion.

Self care is so important.

I hope that you are finding ways to treat yourself and others 
gently and with kindness.

Stay safe.


~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

18 comments:

La Vie Quotidienne said...

How nice to read your post, it is always a pleasure. It sounds like even in the midst of a pandemic you are carrying on with your usual elegance. Alas, I am sitting here in a rather dismal, but comfortable state of dress, having just came in from a morning of rather heavy gardening, just took a shower and now a little lie-down. (-: Oh...I took the scissors and cut 3 inches off my hair, because my hair is frizzy and curly I can get by without a precision cut for a while and I was beginning to look like an escape from an asylum. Actually I did a pretty good job. LOL

Sheila said...

Aw, Chester is so lovely there in the sun! Your pasta looks delicious. I've been walking around and admiring all the gardens - I'm such a brown thumb, I don't have a single plant in my house!

Madame La-Bas said...

I've been cooking a lot of pasta lately. I've got an order coming from spud.ca on Wednesday so I'll roast vegetable (butternut squash included). Monsieur won't eat the veggies but he can have tomato sauce and meatballs. I do the pacing of housework strategy too. I break up my activities to keep spirits up. Do you have layers cut in your hair? If so, how do you manage the shorter top pieces when you do the chignon? Since our social isolation time is going to be lengthy, it's so important to be kind to ourselves.

Jeannine said...

Your posts are always welcome. Thank you.

La Contessa said...

LOVE THOSE CHAIRS AND THE COLOR OF THE CUSHIONS!WILL I FIND THOSE ONLINE?
SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE THE WARDROBE FIGURED OUT!!!
NOT ME!
STILL TRYING TO FIND A ROUTINE!
XX

Lorrie said...

These quieter days are not bad, but they are different. On Saturday I did a very thorough cleaning of our bedroom and bathroom. It's good to have time to do these things. I try to walk daily, and take time to journal and think. Your butternut squash pasta looks delicious. The garden is a delightful place these days.

LPC said...

Applauding your vacuum cleaner from here!

Patricia said...

Your outdoor furniture is stunning, and very welcoming for Spring. Like you, I am dressing casual every day now, which I find a little boring. On Saturday night we dress up for date night, wearing something we would wear to dinner or the theatre. Because of my allergies, I continue to wear makeup, at least every couple of days, to make sure I don't get an allergic reaction if I stop for weeks at a time. Your kitchen garden sounds fabulous, and I will enjoy seeing the results. We are raw beginners, with a few snow peas and shallots. But we have plans :) And my hair is long too, as well as almost all grey now. I am trying to figure out a French roll or some other up-do. How our world has changed! Happy hibernating.

Jen Lawrence said...

Sounds calm and peaceful. I've been living in my garden and I am not a gardener. I'm loving the exercise and sense of satisfaction. Stay well!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Trying very hard to Keep Calm and carry on...I do feel stress but must remind myself that this too shall pass.
Wow you now can add hairdresser to your CV!
I miss going to the salon...my hair is getting quite long!
Take care Adrienne.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We only have orchids in the house because our cats eat other plants! They mess up my floral bouquets too! I have been enjoying peeking at the lovely gardens on my walks. So many people are outdoors working in them these days. Our neighbours are so busy with projects that we are watching the process each days as we walk past their homes.
Stay safe Sheila.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Pasta is a pantry basic so it’s an easy thing to use when we cannot get to the shops each day. I have had to plan instead of being spontaneous which I haven’t done since I retired...when I worked meal planning ahead was essential. I do not have layers in my hair anymore it’s pretty much all one length and getting longer by the weeks!!!
Hope you are enjoying your walks.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Happy to oblige!
Take care and stay positive.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The outdoor furniture is The Martha Stewart line from Home Depot...several seasons ago.
Routine ? well I suppose I have one but it’s rather loose-y goose-y but no worries I fill my days and am getting through these weeks as best as I can.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Deep cleaning is a Spring ritual and I think we are all finding things to do that we usually procrastinate in doing! I haven’t polished all the silver yet...hm maybe one day?
The garden is my sanctuary these days as it is for most of our neighbours. There are some wonderful projects going on nearby! Lovely to see.
Enjoy your week Lorrie.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Ah I will take a bow!
:-))

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I wear make up daily too but I use a very light touch...tinted sunscreen, mascara and lipstick.
You’ll probably get the gardening bug once your crops start producing as the flavours are so amazing. I use a larger hair clip with teeth to hold my updo in place a few wispy tendrils fall out but it softens the overall look. Very casual but it works. I dislike having hair in my face when gardening or cooking.
Stay safe Patricia

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

You may become a gardener after all Jennifer...it’s a calm place to be and the hobby is truly rewarding. For me it is my sanctuary...a creative outlet and one that soothes me in troubled times.