Tuesday, September 3, 2019

September snippets...


Jude the Obscure 
still putting on a marvelous show ~ blooming non-stop since May.

Gosh I so love a hardy and reliable rose that encourages me to keep dead heading long after my early spring enthusiasm and energy has waned.


Hand watering is a daily job here in The Humble Bungalow Garden.
We don't have an automatic system so we use old fashioned watering cans, nozzles and sprinklers.

People walk by when I am gardening out front and they always stop to comment on the roses.
Some I invite in for an impromptu garden tour 
 they occasionally leave with a wee bouquet.


The Climbing Royal Sunset Rose is a challenge to dead head 
as it grows up the side of the deck so ladders are required.
I am not a fan of climbing up high on ladders 
so I dead head what I can reach from the ground below and from the deck itself.


Gertrude Jekyll


Prickly thorns can be a hazard when dead heading this rose.
Such a beautiful shade of pink with a seriously heady fragrance.
She blooms all summer long.

School starts this week which traditionally has signalled the end of summer.

I love the warm sunshine and hope it continues through towards Autumn.

The bedroom renovations are almost complete.
I have purchased a bed skirt, new sheets, and velvet slim hangers.
Am excited to get the closet organized and the rest of our bungalow 
"back to normal."

I am tired of sleeping in the double bed in our guest room.
It's a comfy mattress and very quiet downstairs 
but its too small a bed for the two of us to get a restful night of sleep.

Last night I actually fell out of bed.
I was sound asleep and it woke me up with a start!

Today 
Feeling achy and stiff, glad I didn't break any bones.
So I am slowly moving about my day...
doing only what really needs doing.


Am totally immersed in Louise Penny's newest book 
A Better Man.

I try not to read her books too fast.

It is difficult slowing down once you are gripped by the plot
they are such wonderful mysteries.

Must go pop the kettle on and make a cuppa
then open my book for an hour or so...

Hope your September is off to a great start.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

24 comments:

Jeannine said...

Oh Leslie, falling out of bed?! I feel your pain as I'm dealing with back spasms currently and it made me wince to read that you fell out of bed. I hope the aftereffects disappear quickly. Your roses are just stunning. I can almost smell them by viewing the pictures.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

How I envy you your beautiful roses this time of year. Here is is almost too hot to go out at all, working in the garden in almost impossible. I so look forward to cooler weather.

I am a bit envious that you already have Louise Penny's new book, I am in line at the library - I love her books!

Patricia said...

I love your blog. It's very soothing to read .....The photos are beautiful - your garden is truly a work of art ! You should be very proud. I also love Louise Penny and I'm always so excited when she published a new novel ! I hope Inspector Gamache never retires !

Linda Shukri said...

Glad you are okay after falling out of bed! Love your roses. :-) Do you have room for a king bed? We slept in a double most of our married life and then about 10 years ago got a king. Love the space! :-)

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am feeling very stiff tonight and trying to figure out how I fell out of bed! I have never done this before and am not sure if my husband had rolled over closer and I just moved or if I was dreaming? In any case I look forward to getting back into our Queen bed soon.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I spent a few quiet hours reading Louise Penny’s book today...my body aches after the fall so I gave myself permission to just be. You will really enjoy her book when you get your copy!!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I hope Inspector Gamache has a long and healthy life! He’s a charming fellow!
Thank you Patricia for your kind words! 🙏🏻

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

No room for a king bed in either room...but a queen works better than a double. Hope we are back in our room before the weekend!

hollybholly said...

Love your blog. A quiet stop in my busy day as I stop to "smell" your roses and watch the seasons change. Thank you!

Marilyn L said...

Beautiful roses. I hope you return to your bedroom soon.

cindy hattersley design said...

I am going to have to give Jude the Obscure another try. She didn't perform well for me.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am hoping we will be in the room this weekend...
Pictures and a post will follow when we are done!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The garden is much quieter than inside the bungalow...the sounds of electrical tools doing their work is actually "music to my ears!" as I know we are on the home stretch.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I hope you have a sunny spot in your garden for Jude.
Good luck!

KSL said...

So looking forward to seeing your remodeled bedroom. I use those slimline velvet hangars and love them. I love mysteries, but have never read Louise Penny. Do you recommend starting with the first in her series?

Anonymous said...

Falling out of bed-so glad that you are well and nothing is broken
Your garden must smell so beautiful
I've finished the new Penny's book-they seem like our family members,don't you think? Looking forward to a new Ann Cleeves book in a brand new series (in two days,yay!)
Dottoressa

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh you have s treat in store with the series of mystery books. Please start with the first book as Louise has a group of characters that she features in the stories and they develop over time. Let me know what you think of her writing! We expect the painters to pop back and do a few touch ups and then we can move back in...we need to buy a heritage light fixture but that may take a while as our local shop Waterglass is busy on many projects so we will need to be patient!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I remember falling out of bed as a child but never as an adult! I must have been in a deep sleep. Thankfully no broken bones 🦴 just sore and stiff! Love the group of characters Louise Penny has created...almost finished the book and I cannot wait to find out what happens!!!

Kathryn in Canada said...

I'm a big fan of Louise Penny's books too. I'm so sad now as I just finished the newest and last one she has just published, and can't wait now for the next. Enjoy!

Noelle said...

The last time we tried to sleep in a double bed was in a friend’s guest room — it certainly makes short visits preferable to longer ones :)

Anonymous said...

I hope you are back in your queen size bed soon. I can imagine how sore you must feel having fallen out of bed from a sound sleep and with no chance to brake your fall. I love Epsom Salts in a hot tub. This is very relaxing and any soreness is greatly relieved. It is also relaxing, you sleep very well after this bath. You must be very proud of your roses. I can't believe the variety of roses you grow. Every single one is beautiful. Have you tried rose petals in the bathtub? With your roses, I would be tempted. Susan

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I know how you feel...I love her books. She's probably already thinking of the next plot!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I understand exactly...if we had more room I would have a queen but the room is about 9 foot by 9 foot...really small.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I make a sea salt mix for the bath using salt and epsom salts and essential oil.
I posted the recipe several times...it makes a lovely hostess gift.
See the side bar of the blog and go to recipes...it should be easy to find.
Petals in the tub sound elegant...