Sunday, January 27, 2019

Recipe for fabulous pork and beans....

My long time friend Leslie, who grew up and attended the same schools as I did in Oak Bay, shared her classic recipe for pork and beans. Leslie is a wonderful hostess and invites many friends over to her heritage home for dinner and cocktail parties. The food is always delicious, the home that she shares with her husband is warm and inviting, the guests always feel welcome and she is relaxed and makes these events look effortless.

I tried to make her recipe for pork and beans once before but with no success. Now I know why...
I rushed the cooking of the beans and put them in the slow cooker
before they were soft.

This past Christmas my BFF served the bean dish at her Christmas Eve Event where they were a huge hit!
Her brother went back 3 times for more! He raved about them to me.
(I can say this as he doesn't even know that I write a blog!)

One of my New Year goals was to master this recipe.


You'll need a crock pot.

Leslie's Beans

3 cups of dried Navy beans soaked overnight in 6 cups of water
Rinse then drain them and place in a pot with 6 cups of water 
Bring to a boil and then simmer until tender
soft, but not falling apart.

Drain the beans and place them in a slow cooker 

1 1/2 cups ketchup
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup molasses
1 large onion chopped
1 Tbsp. dry mustard
1 Tbsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
12 slices uncooked bacon diced
(or sliced salt pork)

Cook on low for 8 -10 hours.

Enjoy!


Bon Appetit!

Hope you enjoy this classic that is a favourite in our circle of friends.
The men in our group absolutely LOVE this dish!
My husband is happy too.

Thank you to Leslie A., 
"a Hostess with the Mostess!"

We are enjoying the leftovers tonight...
they make a lot and can be frozen.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

16 comments:

Susan said...

I'll have to try this! But I will have to get a crock pot first!

Kathy B said...

I love pork and beans! This sounds like a fabulous winter meal.

KSL said...

Looks delicious. I have three slow cookers for when I cook for large groups! What do you serve the beans with?

Madame Là-bas said...

I've got an old crock pot in the cupboard. I will try this.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

You can use a bean pot in the oven if you have one.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It’s full of flavour and feels very comforting on a cold evening.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It goes well with ham and soft buns. But best as a side dish on a buffet table with a variety of dishes.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Love that you are “shopping” your cupboards!
This dish fits in nicely with the newly released Canada food guide too!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I’ve never been able to perfect baked beans. I am going to give this method a try. With some home made whole wheat bread this will be a wonderful, warming supper on a cold winter night.

MabonMoon said...

I do appreciate having this recipe, as I tried making some a few months ago and wasn't impressed with the results. I used to have a recipe for oven baked beans that was delicious, but when I purged my books, I purged the cookbook it was in and didn't have a copy. I will make this, minus the pork as I am a 4-decades long vegetarian and totally plant based for 1 1/2 years. I know it won't be quite the same, but... I might try some veggie meat, not so much for me as I don't miss it, but for my husband. Or I will just leave it out entirely and not tell him any different.

Jeannine said...

My husband loves pork and beans, so I may just make a batch of these. Won't he be surprised?! I always appreciate recipes you post. Thanks!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

YUMMY!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

You won’t miss the bacon it’s full of flavour.
Good for you for following a plant based diet...the new Canada Food Guide is recommending that we eat plant based proteins and focus on beans and lentils.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Let me know what you think of the bean dish when you make it. Hope your husband enjoys it too.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It’s definitely a winner in the flavour department 👍

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing..trying it this weekend!