Friday, October 26, 2018

OOTD and a few books...


The ultimate in comfort food...
cabbage roll casserole 
from 
The Best of Best of Bridge Cookbook.

So soothing on a rainy cold Autumn evening.

I made this after recuperating from 3 days of flu like symptoms after getting the Shingrix vaccine.
It was my second shot, the first one left e feeling flu-ish for one day 
so I was not expecting to be sidelined for 3 days 
but it's over and I am feeling more like myself.

It is worth a few days of malaise 
the effectiveness rating is 97% which is good.

Our GP told us that he had a rash of older patients recently who suffered permanent neurological damage after a bout of shingles...
one patient went blind 
so he is advising all his older patients to get the vaccine.
Have you had yours?


I had lots of good cuddles from Chester who lay beside me most of the days.
The cats were quite perplexed, perhaps confused
as I am usually very active here in the Humble Bungalow...


I read Joanna Goodman's novel The Finishing School
I really enjoyed it...

Before I had my shingles shot I went shopping and purchased a cozy new vest...


Of course it is in the grey and black basic wardrobe theme colours!
Whats up with all the wrinkles in those pants?
(ha ha)


worn here with my new Timberland boots


Verve Ami vest from Marshalls
super cozy for our cool autumn weather.



Today I am wearing my striped Saint James top with a black skirt, tights and black Chelsea boots.


I've started this book by JoJo Moyes...
its grabbed me right from the first page and I can tell its going to be a great read.

What are you reading?
Are you in a book club?

Well I must get some stuff done here so I will close for now.
Thank you for stopping by...

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

17 comments:

Lorrie said...

Yikes, I didn't know there would be such a reaction to the vaccine. I've not yet had it. Your new vest looks both cozy and stylish, which is a very good thing. I'm not in a book club, but someday I hope to join one - perhaps after I retire in a couple of years. Glad you're feeling better.

annette said...

Your vest is great. It is exactly what I need. I loved Me Before You and the sequel.Since reading them I have checked out several other books of hers find her a good storyteller.

Madame Là-bas said...

I really like that vest! I've a lot of grey but it works well with accessories. I'm reading Margaret MacMillan's History's People and a freebie that I picked up at the Little Library on Granville Island. It's Davita's Harp by Chaim Potok, one of his older books that I had never read. My book club is reading Pride and Prejudice (again?) because they do a classic every year. Enjoy the week-end.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you are feeling better (and protected from shingles)
Your new vest looks very cozy and warm
Have you seen the film "Me before you"?
It was very good and very sad
I've just finished CJ Sansom's Tombland and am reading Still Alice
Dottoressa

Anonymous said...

P. S. And I'm reading Daughters For a Time from Jennifer Handford,while I'm travelling this prolonged weekend. I get every month one book for free on my Samsung phone-I like it very much and think that you would like it too
D.

LA CONTESSA said...

CHESTER I ADORE!
NO BOOK CLUB FOR ME............They all seem to be around dinner time and THAT DOES NOT WORK HERE!!!!!
Off to dig in the dirt!!!!
XX

Dana said...

Hi Hostess! I don't get the shingles vaccine and actually don't get the flu vaccine either (which is quite huge here in the USA). The only time I had the flu vaccine years ago my entire arm was completely numb for a week. Glad you are feeling better and your cats took good care of you! Your vest looks so cozy. Me Before You is an excellent book and movie. I am reading "The Big House" about a family's century old house on Cape Cod and it is very good.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Apparently it is common to have a reaction...the pharmacist told me to lay low for the next 2 or 3 days after my injection so I planned accordingly. Thank goodness for hot tea, cat companions and fabulous books!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Which of Jojo Moyes' books would you recommend?
The vest is super cozy for the fall and winter weather...I have seen quite a few nice vests when I have been perusing the aisles...
I finished the book last night and wept...such a moving story. ..need to read the sequel next!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Ah Pride and Prejudice is the classic romance novel...loved watching the film with Colin Firth in it!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I have not seen the film...I must try to find it now as I finished the book late last eveing and wept...such a powerful story.
Still Alice was a great book...will check out the Sansom book...thank you!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I prefer to read books over tablets...I am very old fashioned and like to flip the pages....maybe all those years of working in a library has spoiled me?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Happy Gardening! Its wet here so I am content to work inside the bungalow.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh The Big House sounds good...I love the idea of a large home on the Cape!

KSL said...

I loved Me Before You, and enjoyed the sequel as well. Movie is excellent. I love the vest - so cozy. I have to get the new shingles vaccine, but just recovering from sinus surgery so it'll have to wait for a month or so. I used to make stuffed cabbage but it's gone off the rotation and I'm not sure why - will bring it back. xo

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Hope that you are on the mend...
I found that stuffed cabbage took me the better part of a day to make and this recipe has the same flavour, and goes together super fast!
Happy Halloween!

Michelle said...

I do like your vest, and am inspired to pull out my grey vest for tomorrow. I have quite a few vests, which I find practical for fall and winter, as well as a quick easy off during hot flashes!
I used to live in turtlenecks and cords all winter, but since my late forties I have to layer, and cannot wear the extra material around my neck. Too bad since I still love the look.

I do belong to a great book group, in fact started by my friend who moved up north from Victoria and belonged to a group there. It is so nice to exchange views about books with other book lovers!