Sunday, June 2, 2024

Hello June !

 


Welcome June...
We spent the past week at the cottage.

Beautiful scenery...a surprising mix of weather...Sun, Rain and HAIL !


Our favourite sailboat went out for a brisk sail...
quite a few sailboats took advantage of the gusty winds.

There was a sailpast ceremony for a recently passed member of the Pipe Band.
A bag piper was on the point and all sailors dipped their flags as they passed...
I love the sound of bagpipes.

We went to the Legion for the Saturday night meat draw...
met some nice people and won some snapper!
(not meat but FISH! and a $100 gift card at the local grocery store)


We sat on the deck when the weather was nice...


watched the ferries as they cruised past the cottage.


Observed the cloud formations...

Swam in the refurbished pool. 
It is now a "salt water" pool but it isn't "sea water."
Much more eco friendly and we felt much more boyant!


I am embracing the colours of blue and white at the cottage.
Vintage blue and white ironstone and yellow flowers are a great pairing.


I found this crinkle shirt at the thrift shop...
$3.00
I seriously cannot believe the prices!


I found 2 pound weights!!
$2.00
So excited as my recent diagnosis with osteoporosis recommends weight training...
Found a seated chair routine with Lauren ~ Senior Fitness on YouTube.

The session is 10 minutes so I do it twice.

Hopefully I will have more toned arms for summer sleeveless tops and dresses.
But most important I will be building BONE.


Greek style yogurt...high protein and rich in calcium no added sugar.
Read Mireille's book French Women Don't Get Fat again...
I have gained weight since I broke my ankle.
Inactivity is the culprit and maybe some naughty mood lifting eating :-))


There was a French Theme in my book choices this week...

Read this book written by David Lebovitz...
I have read several of his books.

He documents his Paris apartment purchase and the extensive renovations...
definitely not an easy thing for an Anglophile!


Found this one in a wee library kiosk...
read one of Janine Marsh's books before and enjoyed it...
am not quite finished but her stories of village life are very vivid and funny!


One of our feasts...

Marinated Pork tenderloin on the BBQ
roasted zucchini, peppers and carrots
half a baked potato with sour cream and bacon bits.

Marinate a pork tenderloin in a glass bowl

~ Marinade ~
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soya sauce (I use Braggs)
1 clove chopped garlic
3 tbsp. honey Dijon mustard
salt and pepper

Marinate for at least 2 hours.
Heat grill on BBQ
cook until no longer pink
slice on the diagonal

Enjoy!

When we got home...


We were surprised to see my husband's latest project in full bloom!
He dug up all the grass on the boulevard...
planted a lawn alternative and VOILA!

The pollinators LOVE IT!!


OUR 
Climbing Royal Sunset Rose is in bloom.
This rose is so fragrant and repeat blooms all through the summer.

I love the orange shade...

We had a really rainy day today...
we stayed pretty close to home as our elder cat Pepper is unwell.


She has been diagnosed with idiopathic cystitis.
She is on pain medication and staying pretty quiet.

Her appetite is great so that is very encouraging.
Poor Girl...

Quite stressful for us adults...
if you are a pet owner you will know this feeling.


Baked my sourdough boule today...
such a rewarding and healthy habit.

Easy too...it sounds daunting 
once you have made one boule you will be a PRO!

Do you bake sourdough?
Do you know that it is lower in gluten, 
is easier to digest and has amazing probiotics?

Well that about wraps up our news...


Thank you for popping by The Humble Bungalow Blog

I will close for now...
we are going to watch some Acorn TV Mystery shows.

Stress can make us want to seek solace and escape...
English Murder Mysteries are just what we need tonight!!!

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~ 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Hostess — I found your blog a few weeks ago and after reading a few posts I thought to myself, I want to be like you when I grow up. I read a few more posts and pleasant surprise, we have the same birthday, March 3rd! Your posts exude a sweet simplicity and also charming depth. In answer to questions of last week, I love cook books. I sold a bigger house three years ago and moved to a smaller home last year (here in the US southwest we call them casitas). But somehow I have more space for cookbooks and have been collecting a few more. I’m intrigued by the hamburger soup you’ve mentioned — can the recipe be shared? I love hearing a lone piper. I imagine the air was nippy smelled of salt and pine trees. What a beautiful send off for an old friend. I don’t have google account, may need to get one to comment properly. I go by avicennia when I post.

Layla said...

I've enjoyed your posts for many years. Nice to see you are getting back into fitness. I've been following Lauren's Youtube senior shape since the beginning. She is one of my favorites. Her workouts are great and can still be very challenging.

Love your cottage and the scenery , bonus your flowers .
I've never baked sourdough bread. It 's best I do not start, it would surely be my weakness, LOL

Bonne journée!
Denise

Ann said...

What a lovely way to start June ! Same here with broken wrist - eating and gaining. Can't wait to get back to weight training - for now just walking. Thanks for the tip on the arm workout....when my brace is off and I get the ok from the doctor I would love to get my arms toned for sleeveless!!!

Jeannine said...

I'm sorry about pepper being unwell. So many good things in your post - the plants, the food, the weight training. Good for you. I've been under the weather myself - for three weeks. Down with kidney stones - first the seemingly endless suffering, then surgery to remove them, then recuperating, which takes a lot longer than I expected. What a misery. The entire thing. Keeping a good thought for you and yours.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Anonymous (Avicienna) ~ The Hamburger Soup recipe should be available online...Best of Bridge cookbook...just search the title and it should pop up. I cannot share a picture of the recipe from the book due to copyright laws. Enjoy your casita...good things come in small packages :-))

Layla ~ Denise I have been active all these years...walking, Yoga, AquaFit, and now resumed my weight training...I just don't always post about exercise!
Sourdough bread is good for you...much lower on the glycemic index, good bacteria for the gut and extra chewing means more satiation! We have one boule per week for the two of us...the toast with avocado is probably my favourite :-))

Ann ~ Hope you are on the mend...it is so challenging waiting for results!
I have already noticed a difference in my arms... 20 minutes each day is not difficult. My latest x-ray showed no improvement on the calcification of the fibula bone...so I am still unable to go back to aquafit...but there is hope as my dr said deep water aquafit would be Ok as well as swimming laps!!

Jeannine ~ Kidney stones OUCH...I am told that they are incredibly painful. Good that you had them removed and hope that you are on the mend. I have been busy in the garden so I apologize for the late response to your comment.

Sheila said...

Sending good vibes for Pepper!! Our dear kitty Vizzini has had kidney disease (just elevated to Stage 3) for a few years, and we're happy he still has his appetite. Our cats are like furry comets who briefly pass through our lives, aren't they? <3

Diannecoop said...

So sorry to hear about Pepper. They are lovely little souls who bring us so much joy and love. What did you and your doctor decide on your treatment for the osteoporosis? You are certainly doing the right thing with the exercising even though somewhat limited because of your ankle. I basically can walk only due to the extensive back surgeries (7) I have had. But I do count my blessings since I can walk. Have a wonderful week Leslie and I continue to enjoy your blogs and photos!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Sheila ~ Our younger cat had a kidney stone a few years ago and needed surgery...he is on renal kibble from the vet. Seems like many cats have kidney problems...I like your comment about the cats being comets in our Lives!!!

DianneCoop ~ I am on Prolia shots...twice a year now for the osteoporosis. I am doing 20 minutes of weight training every morning...to help build bone and am adding more calcium rich foods into my diet.
Hope you are staying well :-))