Thursday, May 23, 2024

Daytripping, a New Frock...and Snippets from the Humble Bungalow Garden

 


Still here...
maintaining positivity
while the ankle slowly mends.

I have gained weight with the lack of exercise...
mid March to Mid May with no aqua fit classes or long walks.
Once my mobility improves I am going to have to get serious about losing pounds.

I had my second xray today...
hopefully showing the fusing of the bones.
(fingers crossed)

Walking is much better, not too painful unless I walk too long.


The Pharmasave had these Pokoloko hooded beach cover ups for sale.
I don't own a proper cover up for the beach or the pool at the cottage 
so I grabbed this one in grey.

I justified the purchase quickly as I imagined wearing it on the cottage deck.
Or perhaps with cute sandals and my straw hat to the Farmer's Market?
I could use it as a robe, or to sleep in!


Waffle cotton...
(two trees are planted with every purchase)


Sooke River

Friends accompanied us on a day trip through Metchosin on the way to Sooke.
The scenery was green lush and gorgeous.
We stopped for a peek at Weirs Beach where my husband's family once owned a cottage.
Walked along the sandy beach and gazed across to the city and the majestic Olympic Mountain Range in Washington State.

Then we tootled along to Lester B. Pearson College, 
an international world college, 
one of 18 in the world.

We drove through the campus to see the beautiful architecturally designed buildings 
in the West Coast style...

My husband has done lots of architectural work for the college over the years.
Our friends had never been there.


Sooke River is a pristine spot, popular with locals for the pot holes and swimming.


The weather was wonderful!

We ventured into a thrift shop
I found and Italian scarf with hand rolled edges 
pink with burgundy designs.
($3.00)


Here is the scarf...



The Alliums are blooming in The Humble Bungalow Garden.

The bees LOVE these blooms.


These are planted in between the white Claire Austin roses 
which are growing on black obelisks just in front of the deck.


Primula Auriculas are putting on a show on the front porch.
We have them on a bamboo shelf unit that my husband painted black.
There are quite a few different varieties and colours.

Their blooms are like little happy faces...they make me smile.



Last week we had a really gloomy cool rain day...
I made my sourdough boule which warmed up the kitchen and made the house smell wonderful.

I decided that comfort food was called for so I made Hamburger Soup.
The recipe is from The Best of The Best of Bridge cookbook.
These cookbooks were very popular in the 1980's and 90's.

I only have the one book but it has some great recipes in it...
some feel nostalgic, others are totally retro!

I've drastically whittled down my cookbook collection...
I only have 3 Barefoot Contessa Books!
Various other books are among the group.
The small shelf the books sit on is only half full.

Do you have oodles of cookbooks?
Do you find recipes online?

What are your favourite cookbooks?


~ Cut Loose Linen Dress ~

Hooray I finally found a black linen dress!!!!
I have been looking for almost a year to find THE ONE.

Will be wearing it a LOT...
to the market, at the cottage, shopping, at a garden gathering.
Out for lunch or dinner...
the possibilities for wearing are endless.

I have black flip flops with rhinestones 
and white bow fronted shoes.
My straw black and white visor will work too...or my old straw hat.
Will carry my French Market straw tote...
have a white crinkle shawl from Paris which will be a good accessory.

Pearls too! 
Big ones or small ones...

I have set aside 6 garments to take to the consignment shop.
These will help to top up my clothing fund.

I am now thinking I could use a BIG Sterling Silver Bracelet...


I wonder if I can find one at the thrift shop???

What have you found at the Thrift Shops lately?
Have you been shopping?


Thank you for stopping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

10 comments:

Kathryn P said...

I went thrift shopping today. I brought a denim blue scarf. No tags, so I'm not sure what it's made of. It's a linen-style weave - but definately not linen. I also purchased a pair of black linen pants on sale at a usual store (thinking ahead to Summer). And an on sale blue wool vest from Seasalt. After my shopping I sat down by the sea near the Naval base where both my Grandad and Dad worked. I miss them both. Your black linen dress was a lucky find - it will be very versatile. I spent much of the day gardening yesterday and have just realized that it why I am so sore today! Such a pleasure to look out at a tidied garden and hopefully my aches will be gone tomorrow.

Kelly L McKenzie said...

Such a good read. That's wonderful news about your ankle. Phew. I am a huge fan of the Best of Bridge and probably have the same cookbook. I made their Basil and Parmesan Orzo just yesterday. I've never made the hamburger soup but my sister used to back in the day. Love your linen dress and the beach coverup.

Sheila said...

Lovely to see your blooms and your bread! Good luck with the X-ray - I hope it comes back that you're healing up well!

Love the black linen dress - I thrifted a Banana Republic one a while back. For a silver cuff, I would have recommended Vanity Fair, but sadly they have closed. Try Good Things Consignment on Oak Bay Ave!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Kathryn P ~ Gardening is hard work and weeding is a necessary job to keep the garden beds looking lovely...I find a bath in epsom salts after a day in the garden to be an exceptional tonic. Wandering around the garden looking at the tidy beds is one's reward :-)) Sounds like you have found some great items for summer!! Nice to know you enjoy thrifting too!

Kelly L McKenzie ~ The orzo dish is one that I have never made!!
We used to regularly host dinner parties as our main source of entertainment, especially when the children were younger. The Best Of Bridge Cookbooks were my go to books for recipes...then I discovered Ina Garten and used her recipes as they are tested and never fail! Since Covid we have cut back on our dinner parties...we usually have our son and the grandchildren here on Sundays for dinner and now go out to a local pub or restaurant with friends.

Sheila ~ I miss Vanity Fare...my daughter and I had a case there for a few years. Will keep my eyes open at Good Things for a big cuff and maybe Old N Gold too...darling daughter might even find one for me in her travels! You are so good at finding fabulous clothing in the second hand and consignment shops!!!

Lorrie said...

What a lovely outing to the west coast. The Sooke River photo is gorgeous. A black linen dress is a great staple for summer and I like your ideas for accessorizing it. The pink scarf is a fun find! I don't often go to thrift stores. Other people seem to find stuff, but I rarely do.
Glad your ankle is improving.

Sue Blaney said...

Hi Leslie - I really hope your ankle reults were positive.

Love to read your posts...my favorite cookbooks are by Ina Garten.
Cant remember which of her books has the recipe but if you google "ina Garten Lemon chicken" I highly recommend trying this dish :)

I've also come to rely on the New York Times Cooking pages/emails for more recent recipes. we have a subscription and have had success.

And this may not be quite "kosher" but sometimes I will "google" some vegtables and meat/poultry i have and see what comes up...have found simple recipes that way. I love my cookbooks and the tearsheets of recipes i've saved over the years but sometimes easier to use my phone's search engine...

Again,love reading yout posts. Love the black lines dress....esp when you will pair it with that great perl necklace!

All my best - Sue

Ann said...

So glad you are healing...sending best wishes to your bones! I am trying to be patient with my wrist...stitches out, splint, back in a month, nothing but move my fingers till then...so no shopping. Trying to just relax, not easy. Looks like you had a great trip with your friends, good finds shopping,too. When we downsized I donated almost all my cookbooks to the library - even Ina!!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Lorrie ~ Sooke Potholes is a lovely spot for a picnic hike or swim...you must be enjoying your lush garden and I like the rose you posted. Have you been out on your boat?

Sue ~ I have made that chicken recipe from Ina's book! I love how flavourful and moist the chicken is with the lemon. I frequently google recipes...I think that is the easiest way when one doesn't have oodles of cookbooks! I loved the sailboat painting that you shared on your Instagram!! So different from your usual subjects!

Ann ~ Forced relaxation feels very much like a punishment...it is a real challenge to just stay put. I found that reading mystery books and focusing on my knitting help. You've got to keep that arm stable so you will have to find some enjoyable distractions as you mend. There are lots of entertaining movies on the TV...when I had pneumonia one year I watched all my old favourites...The Enchanted April, Howards' End, Under The Tuscan Sun...Hope you get better soon.

Poppy Q said...

I too only have 3 cookbooks now, really I can find so many new recipes online and love the ones on tiktok as I love watching the food being made. Love your thrift finds.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Poppy Q ~ The food internet sites have so much to offer! I have used them extensively for my sourdough bread making. If I need recipe inspiration I also go online...so many great options out there!