Monday, October 31, 2022

October 31st ~ Snippets and tidbits


Spider webs adorn the Humble Bungalow Garden.
They are woven throughout and one needs to be mindful when walking :-((


Our zinc planter has some new plants...
the geraniums had faded and were getting leggy 
so I zipped off to the garden centre and grabbed these foliage plants.

Black Mondo Grass and Dusty Miller.


~ Jude the Obscure ~

These may quite possibly be the last roses of the season that we bring inside.
The garden is settling into a long winter slumber...


I have candles at the ready...
they add fragrance and much needed warmth and a cozy ambiance.


I have looked at many many shops for boots...
thought that I was destined to have wet feet
until 
I spied these serious rain boots at Mouats on Salt Spring Island.

~ Tretorn ~
I bought some thick socks to wear with them and they are so comfy!

I have been wearing them this past weekend on Pender.

The thrifted (repaired) backpack made its first voyage on the ferry to the cottage!


This is an excellent book...
it centres around an interesting character and flashes back to the Japanese internment.

Set in BC and Ontario
written by a very talented author.

I read her book Deafening years ago and enjoyed it,
 so when I saw this title and read the jacket cover I knew I needed to read it.

I also went to the bookstore and found several books!
I am amassing another small book stack 
after "almost" catching up on all my reading :-))

There was an atmospheric river weather warning for the weekend...
I was prepared for a power outage but I think we must have been spared.


The views from the cottage this morning.



The activities here this week are centred around relaxation, 
punctuated with scenic walks, reading and knitting.


When we arrived on Friday I popped into the Thrift Shop.
It is only open on Fridays now...
I bought this wee sugar bowl (missing the lid) for $1
I decided to pick some rosemary and add it to our tablescape.
Blue and White are a classic pairing and seem to mingle nicely with the cottage decor.

We walked along the Home Farm Trail and saw the Halloween Display...
lots of scary scenes
goblins, ghouls, ghosts, skeletons, witches...
will put together a wee post for my Instagram.

Have a safe and Fun Halloween.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

6 comments:

Lorrie said...

I'm sure all the rain pouring down was something to watch from your cottage windows. The sugar bowl with rosemary is a very sweet addition to your decor.

Maggie said...

Lovely post! The spider web photo is stunning! I always enjoy your flower photos too.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The sun is shining brightly now and we have been enjoying our walks...the boots did come in handy when it was pouring rain...I am sure they will get used a LOT...take care Lorrie and enjoy your week.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Maggie I hope to be able to keep posting flower images for as long as we have blooms in the garden...soon our garden will be in its annual slumber storing up energy for next Spring and Summer :-))

Michelle said...

Isn't Frances Itani a wonderful writer? I suggested this book for book group and everyone loved it. So touching, and an part of Canadian history that deserves to be brought to light. I read another of her books, 'Remembering the Bones' and it was also very good.

Lucky you to have the cottage, it looks very cosy. What a wonderful way to spend the weekend. I was recently down in Victoria (Langford) and it was so nice and warm still. Beautiful in the fall.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Michelle I also really enjoyed Deafening by Frances...she has such a way with words. Your book club would probably had a lively conversation after reading Requiem. It was an important topic with a story that needed to be shared.
We are most fortunate to have a share in the cottage...it was a random thing really...my husband was at work one day just browsing real estate and it popped up. We always loved the cottages and saw them when they were first being built as we took our boat to the Marina at Otter Bay often...we couldn't justify the expense at that time because we had teenaged children, a mortgage and a boat...the timing was right and so was the price...we love our getaways, and now that Mr. HB is retired we can stay the week. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here in Victoria...the weather has changed and we are getting rain and winds now.
Take care and thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.