Sunday, October 16, 2022

Smokin' Sunday ~ I bagged a couple of bargains....

 


I planned to go for a long scenic walk on the waterfront...
but when I walked out the front door I was overcome with the smoke.

Forest fires are burning in the province and in Washington State south of Victoria.
I decided to go to the local Value Village store instead of my outdoor walk.

I perused the aisles for treasure...
many others were looking too!

I focused on housewares, clothing, boots and bags.

There were some used rain boots but seriously overpriced :-((
Some so worn out they were laughable...

I think I need to buy some decent new ones.
My last pair of rain boots lasted at least 10 years 
so even if I spend $100+
with any luck
the Cost Per Wearing will be amortized over many years.

I didn't spy any vintage pieces in the houseware section, it was pretty picked over.

I found a "funky denim" printed shirt which I just pulled out of the washer.


The tag inside says Reba Denim ??
I am going to wear it for my home keeping chore days
with my pearls!


The hydrangeas have been hanging to dry and are now ready for display.


I've been looking for a backpack for my walks.
Marshalls had several lovely Italian leather backpacks for $275 and $350 
but I didn't want to spend quite that much.

~ $11.49 ~
Leather backpack style purse.
Broken inside zipper, ripped leather toggle and lining, scuffed exterior.



~ DIY ~
Repairs are completed



I'm all set for hands free walking 

Not bad for the price...
the leather is very soft and the size is perfect for my needs.
(room for my wallet, extra glasses, IPhone, kleenex and stuff)


Am making progress on the Vest project...
After a busy day of laundry, baking bread and standing in line to cast my ballot for the local municipal election I popped the kettle on for a cuppa and knit for a bit.

Love the Rowan Felted Tweed Yarn 
part merino and part alpaca...
made in Italy.


Pope John Paul II
fragrant 
and
blooming in The Humble Bungalow Garden.

What's new with you?
Have you scored any bargains?

Please share your thoughts in the comments
I do appreciate them and it opens up dialogue which enriches our experiences.


~ Be Well and Be Kind ~


14 comments:

Lorrie said...

The smoke has been quite intense today. I did a little gardening and can feel the smoke in my chest. I haven't been to Value Village for a long time - it's always fun to poke around there. I haven't done much shopping lately, so no real bargains. Love the rose - there are a few blooming here, too.

Patricia said...

Oh dear, the smoke is unfortunate. I find it really unpleasant when that happens here. Value Village sounds like a great place to walk - and shop! You definitely found a bargain for your back pack, and well done on the repairs. The denim shirt is really lovely, a great choice. How beautiful that you can dry your lime hydrangeas, which is particularly like as I never see them in real life. I really would love to visit Victoria next year to see the gardens.

Jeannine said...

I've purchased more fabric on sale, does that count as bargain shopping?! Hahaha! Like I need more fabric! We are getting snow showers this morning - oh dear!

Sheila said...

I had a couple of shopping expeditions this past weekend: one to WIN (I found a Diane Von Furstenberg vintage 90s pencil skirt for $7.95!), and then down Oak Bay Ave to the vintage pop-up fair. My best bargain was a pushbutton silver rotary phone for $40!

I love your new-to-you bag! I so seldom go to VV - I find it icky there.

Maria said...

Leslie, I hope the air is clearing and you can again enjoy your lovely walks! I love the 'do it yourself' refreshing of the bag. but how do you repair a leather toggle?

MabonMoon said...

I admire both your finds, and especially your vision to realize that with a needle and thread and a touch up, your backpack would look great again. I don't mind a little patina; it adds to the character of a piece. I pop into VV occasionally, mostly to peruse their books as I am constantly on the lookout for classics. Last week I found a copy of Ethel Wilson's book, Swamp Angel. I read it a few years ago and can't stop thinking about it. She was a Vancouver author and the book takes place in the Lac La Jeune area outside Kamloops. I was thrilled. Let's hope the rain helps clear the skies of wildfire smoke. I am so over it.

Polly said...

You did an excellent job with your backpack.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank goodness the smoke has decreased...the smattering of rain is so welcome too :-))

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We are getting some rain now which seems to be helping with the smoke and fires. If you do plan to visit Victoria please let me know so we might meet up in person...perhaps we could explore Abkhazi gardens and have tea!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Sale fabric is like sale yarn...always be prepared :-))

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

You are an amazing shopper and your finds are fabulous!
I didn't experience anything icky at VV when I was there...I went at opening time and so there were only a handful of customers. Things were orderly and there were some big bins of merchandise that had not hit the shelves yet which were fun to peek inside!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The "toggle" is in leather so I restitched it where the seam had come apart. I used thick thread and a big needle with a silver thimble so as not to puncture my fingers!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you...it has been getting used a lot more than I originally expected...so a win win.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I looked at the book section of VV...we have so many wee library kiosks around our neighbourhood that I rarely pay for used books. I am not at all familiar with Et5hel Wilson's Swamp Angel...I must look into the book.
There is a delicat sprinkling of rain here this morning...not enough to really soak the garden but every bit helps. Enjoy your weekend!