Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Colour My World...


Double daffodils blooming at the side of the road.


New Hanni variety of Auricula Primulas
added to my collection on the porch of The Humble Bungalow.

I love the sweet flowers.

Spring Flowers elevate my mood and provide a welcome pop of colour.


Money Plant 
blooming in The Humble Bungalow Garden.

Once the flowers fade...
 the plant sets seed pods which turn to thin opaque silver discs.
These can be dried and used as a floral accent inside the home.
They also look pretty as a filler in a bouquet.


My new linen apron from Rough Linen...
I chose a bright shade of mustard yellow 
as I wear them most of the time when I am cooking or cleaning.
They offer protection from a variety of sources...
splattering tomato sauces simmering being the most dangerous to my clothes!


Love this print
it reminds me of a William Morris pattern.

The tee top is pure linen and made by the Rachel Ashwell company.
Have you read her books on home decor called Shabby Chic?
I used to watch her TV series and really enjoyed her relaxed approach to home decor.
Many of her ideas were reminiscent of wabi sabi.
I heartily embrace wabi sabi 
as our heritage home has many signs of wear and in some areas is quite distressed.
It is freeing to let go of perfection too!


Emerging from the winter are these intricate flowers which soon will be leaves.
I am not sure what type of tree this is, do you know its name?


Glorious Magnolia


Some thrift shop finds...
crazed ironstone oval dish
painted wee vessel

woven small basket which will be perfect for fresh grown cherry tomatoes


~ DIY ~
Scraped the loose paint off of the outdoor furniture 
that I bought from Kay's Korner in the Cook Street Village.
I then spray painted the vintage iron chairs and table set black.
I love black accents in the garden...
lattice, obelisks, pots, plants, furniture.


Two coats of spray paint were needed to cover the set.
It was sunny, so the paint dried quite fast and I was done in one afternoon.
There is a sense of satisfaction when one completes a project.


Wow
This book by Elizabeth Jane Howard is delightful.
The first in a series of 5 books called The Cazalet Chronicles. 
It is set in the UK and follows a family of privilege throughout several decades.
I've ordered the set as these are re-readable and my husband might enjoy them.

I suppose I should draw this to a close and get some stuff done around the house!
Writing posts can be like falling down a rabbit hole...


~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the book recommendation. I so enjoy your pictures, projects, and words. Thanks for continuing to write your blog.

Patricia said...

Oh yes, I remember Rachel Ashwell and her TV show back in the day. I loved it too, and once during a stopover at Los Angeles we tried to find her shop (alas, unsuccessfully). You have done a wonderful job on the iron furniture and it looks so smart in black, and will enhance your garden and beautiful plants. Once again, you have found some great thrifted items, always just right for the bungalow. Have a good week.

Anonymous said...

The Cazalet Chronicles are brilliant. I read the first one and then a couple of years later read the rest back to back whilst on holiday In the South of France.
Susan D

Lorrie said...

The colour in flowers and trees just now is so uplifting! I just want to soak it all in. I wear aprons in the kitchen, too, to protect my clothing, but they are not nearly as pretty as yours!
I started the Cazalet Chronicles awhile ago and then got distracted by other books. I'm glad the library has so many choices for us.
Your thrift shop basket is especially pretty. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

I love Rachel Ashwell and have one of her books. I’m a big fan of worn furnishings and home details. It gives the space heart. I could not live in a Home Sense created space. Not to bash Home sense but that new new look doesn’t appeal to me. Maybe I’m subconsciously embracing my own aged patina ☺️☺️

Anonymous said...

Masterpiece Theatre made a mini-series of the Elizabeth Jane Howard books called 'The Cazalets'. You can fins them on YouTube. ~skye