Thursday, April 14, 2022

Wee luxuries...and remembering MOM


Willows Beach in Oak Bay

(a favourite spot of my late mom's and mine)

I took my coffee in a thermos and sat in the stillness
watched the sea, the sun and the clouds
listened to the waves as they met the shore
embraced
the sound of the gulls as they soared overhead.

A few precious moments of peace outdoors in nature to start the day
sets the tone for the hours ahead.


Unwrapped a lovely soap from Fragonard in Paris.
The porcelain soap dish accompanied the soap which was in a recent 
My French Country Home Box.

The scent is soft, subtle and sweet.

Hand washing happens many many times a day here in The Humble Bungalow.

I can still hear my mom's voice
her mantra was
"Soap and Water are Cheap."

Mom always kept a few bars of triple milled soap unwrapped in her lingerie drawer.
I think her favourite was Yardley's English Lavender Soap.

Mom was an avid gardener and worked for many hours outside 
before coming in and soaking in the tub...
a cup of restorative tea on the edge of the bath.

Lavender scents wafted throughout the house.

She'd dress up for my father's arrival home from work.

A dainty apron worn atop of her dress...
mom was a much tidier cook than I.

I remember so many lovely snippets of mom and learned so much from her.
Not a day goes by that I don't think of her.


Mom sipped her tea in a pretty cup and saucer.
She had a fondness for those decorated with flowers.

While I don't ALWAYS choose one of mine for tea.
(several inherited from mom)

I do more often than not.


My face is getting some serious TLC
the recent and ongoing IPL treatments are reducing the rosacea redness 
the broken capillaries are slowly disappearing...

My skin however is dry 
so I purchased a hardworking moisturizer to use in tandem 
with the IS Clinical Pro Health Serum.

Fingers crossed it will perform as was suggested at the clinic.


Healthy lunch at Brown's Social House
Tuna Poke Bowl

loaded with fresh veggies
delicious!

Eating mindfully 
adding lots of veggies with lean protein
 high on my radar.

Choosing healthier alternatives is becoming much easier...
although
the lure of french fries is still very strong.

If my husband orders them I ask to sample a few :-))

The interesting thing about eating tons of veggies and a small amount of protein is that I don't feel "stuffed" after I eat.

It is such a different feeling than when I order a burger and fries.
I actually prefer it and I am not hungry afterwards.


Sale item from Joe Fresh.
A simple basic which will get worn on my walks
and
paired with jeans perhaps layered overtop of a denim shirt.


Love the warm cozy feel..
great texture.

So many thoughts are swimming around in my head today 
as I sit here in The Humble Bungalow kitchen and type.

I am not sure how to wrap up this post...

writing about and remembering mom 
often skews my thought process
with
emotions tugging at my heartstrings...


Auriculas are starting to put on a show!
Perhaps it is time to find or build a theatre to display them?
They are all the rage in the UK.

How are things with you?

Hope that you are enjoying the start to the week.
Thank you for popping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

15 comments:

Becky said...

My mother loves the Yardly lavender soap also. 💜

Susan said...

I can just picture your mom from reading your descriptions of her. In all the years I've been reading your blog, your love for her has always come through. I know you miss her so very much.

Patricia said...

Things are very excellent with us right now: we have a new granddaughter :))
What lovely memories of your dear mother, who sounds so elegant and tasteful, and passes it on to her daughter. Your grey knit is beautiful, and looks so cosy and warm. We are just feeling the first touch of Autumn, and I look forward to our short cold season, wearing nice sweaters and scarves. Fragonard soap looks seriously good - wow!

Lorrie said...

Taking time to remember your dear mother and sharing memories with us is meaningful for you. I don't think we ever get over missing someone we love. Such lovely little treats you've shown us today. The soap and soap dish are just beautiful!

Jeannine said...

What a lovely post.

Linda Henderson said...

I too miss my sweet Mom every day. My Mom loved plants and flowers and different decorator baskets. She also collected bells and bunnies. Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts and photos.

beth b said...

Oh ... this post about your mom is so lovely. Thank you for sharing. I lost my mom in 2015 and I still cry every time I visit the cemetery. Those emotions are so strong, aren't they? Changing the subject, that tuna poke bowl looks amazing as well as so healthy. Have an wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to your beloved Mother. Your words are beautiful ❤️

Susan said...

I miss my mother, too, every day. 💜

La Contessa said...

OKAY I AM TRYING AGAIN AFTER MANY MONTHS OF BEING ABSENT!
GOOGLE WORK PLEASE!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you Jeannine...Hope you are keeping well.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Those many wonderful memories help to keep our mom's very close to our hearts. Your mom sounds like she had a few collections and a passion for plants.
Hope all is going well with you Linda.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The emotions are very strong and they don't feel like they lessen over the years.
I think of Mom often and am moved to tears on occasion but I usually find that thinking about her is a snippet of warmth, it is often a funny event that sparks the memory.

I am really enjoying tuna poke...it is my go to salad or bowl when i go out for lunch!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We were fortunate to have positive role models and our mom's played a big part of our lives...no wonder we miss them.
XO

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Hello Elizabeth!!
Your new caftans are fabulous...alas I am far too short to wear one. Have you seen the Giada and Bobby Flay in Rome and Tuscany on the Food Network yet?
It is FABULOUS