Sunday, April 3, 2022

April Showers ~ flowers and an OOTD

 


Star Magnolia Blooming in The Humble Bungalow Garden.
Sprinkled with raindrops


The daffodils are nodding their heads weighed down by the raindrops.


We ventured out to Butchart Gardens on a sunny morning...
the flowers were exquisite...
Masses of daffodils, tulips and hyacinths.
The grandchildren rode the carousel which was a highlight!


Summer Snowflake Snowdrops
these are much taller than the usual varieties and they bloom later.
I want to buy a bunch more of these as they are so precious.
I am definitely a greedy gardener.



Yesterday I walked to the Cook Street Village on a mission 
to buy some veggies at the Root Cellar.

These daffs caught my eye and I just had to stop and take a picture.
When I walk, I look around...and the gardens always offer up something beautiful.

I make it a priority to stop and smell the flowers!


My current book...
just started this one yesterday and already I am eager to read more.
Love it when a book hooks you and holds your interest right from the start!

Readers have emailed me to say that my book suggestions are inspiring you to read.
It is a pleasure to share the love of reading, when I worked in the school libraries I tried very hard to get students matched up with great books.

What are you reading?

Today
My OOTD is a very casual one today...


~ OOTD ~ 

Rough Linen black linen apron 
Old Navy Denim shirt 
(an oldie but a goodie ~ it is a workhorse in my minimal wardrobe)
pearls
what you cannot see are my black Yoga pants.
I told you it was casual :-))

I am cooking a big roast beef Sunday dinner...



Yorkshire Puddings
Roast Beef
Mashed turnips
Roasted parsnips and sweet potatoes with cherry tomatoes
a potato casserole 
from "The Best of The Best of Bridge" cookbook
(page 176)
~ Schwarties Hash Browns ~
carrots
peas

Dessert 
strawberries and ice cream



I've had two IPL laser treatments in the past few months to help with my rosacea.
Another is scheduled for the end of the month.

The broken capillaries were quite noticeable and my cheeks red.
 I had not been for a treatment since early 2019
Covid kept me away from the clinic.

The only red I like on my face is this Italian lipstick!

Do you wear red lipstick?

Since I keep my make-up very subtle I like the pop of colour it provides.


Windowsill Orchids are in bloom.
Phalaenopsis

We have several orchids on the sill above the farmhouse sink...
they love the humidity and the north exposure.
These gems bloom several times a year and their flowers last for months.
Great value for the price...
this one was purchased at Home Depot.

Well I must get back to my cooking...
take care and thank you for popping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

18 comments:

Lorrie said...

Your dinner sounds delicious. I'm sure the family will enjoy it very much. We had a family dinner last night - such great fun. The flowers around town are so pretty these days. I love all the varieties of daffodils just now. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Flowers are beautiful, and your dinner sounds delicious. I usually read thrillers but lately I am drawn more to light comedy/romance. Have just finished all Sophie Kinsella's books and loved them.
Rosacea - mine has come back my 60's and I am searching for different treatment options.
Janey

BiscottiMaker42 said...

I’ve had The Forest of Vanishing Stars on my shelf for a couple of months, but am cracking it open to read along with you.

Jeannine said...

I really like your hair!

Linda Henderson said...

I enjoy the beautiful florals and also like the book recommendations. I just finished "Hamnet" by Maggie O'Farrell and liked it very much.

beth b said...

I love Star Magnolias. My mom had one in her yard ... so beautiful. And they were always a sure sign of Spring!! Your blog is full of fun -- food, fashion, nature and books -- what more could we ask for.

materfamilias said...

Your hair is looking fabulous!
Our Star Magnolia out on the terrace, growing in a big pot, is coming to the end of its blooming now, maybe another week. I love it -- also love those gorgeous snowdrops you have -- no wonder you want more!

Noelle said...

Do you find ipl treatments effective? I invested in three sessions last year to no observable effect which is very discouraging. Any tips you can offer would be appreciated.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We had them over last night too...salmon, salad, rice, lemon loaf and fruit salad. It is so nice to be able to have them join us for dinners. Lots of family chit chat and we can catch up on their news. The flowers are so pretty at this time of year.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I am nudging toward 70 and I still have rosacea issues. I have had 2 treatments and am scheduled for a third...I have noticed a reduction in the redness but it is not completely gone. I have spent some time on the rosacea site and done research into the ingredients of products that I use. Many products have things in them that aggravate rosacea...alcohol,hot spicy foods, harsh winds, extreme temperatures all affect the condition.
I hope you find something that will help your skin...there are medical creams that are effective and are available through a dermatologist. Good luck!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I finished the book and really enjoyed it...based on a true story too! Hope you like it.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you! I had it shortened and layered a bit on my last appointment...the curls responded as I hoped.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh that book was so well written...I read it too. Maggie has some other books that I have also enjoyed. Good books are a gift and a joy to read.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Beth...my blog topics are subject to my mood, whimsy and what I am doing...it is rather like a diary.
Thank you for reading and taking time to leave a comment.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Your deck is full of wonderful plants in pots. If I was in a condo I would do the same.
Have fun in Italy!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

THe IPL and directed vein treatments really do help my rosacea. They are rather expensive but I have found nothing works as effectively as they do. You might need a 4th treatment?
Also only use products that are designed for sensitive skin. I read the list of products on the Rosacea site and make sure that none of the ingredients are in the skincare products I put on my face.
I use IS Clinical Pro Health Serum which is a great product. I am going to purchase a new moisturizer at the medical clinic where I get the IPL treatments...the nurse recommended it to me on my last session. I have at least one more IPL and may need a 4th.
There are many triggers for rosacea...spicy food, hot and cold extreme temperatures, sun exposure, wind, products with harsh ingredients...visit the roascea site for more info.
Good Luck!

Michelle said...

We have very similar taste in books! I haven't read The Forest of Vanishing Starts, but I have read The Book of Names by Kristen Harmel and highly recommend it. Also last week you mentioned The School of Essential Ingredients; it was my pick for book group last year and everyone enjoyed it. In fact we ended up doing a Thanksgiving feast following along with the same menu that was in the book. Recommending Pachinko by Min Jin Lee which is a family saga set in Korea and Japan. It has been made into a series now on Netflix, but so far I like the book better.

Love your pearls and denim look, and the red lipstick adds pop. Somehow I can't do red lippy; I'm not sure if I just haven't found the right one, or my confidence is lacking!


hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I haven't read Pachinko...will try and grab a copy at the local library. Thank you for the book suggestion.
I think that there is a shade of Red lipstick for everyone...some are warm tones and some are cool...I suggest you go to a make up counter and try a bunch on...a second opinion might be just what you need to encourage you to wear it!