Monday, February 28, 2022

Monday musings...


Last week we were at the cottage on Pender.
We enjoyed a sunny weekend then early in the week we awoke to ice and snow.


The snow didn't stick around very long and had melted by midday.
The chilly weather with the wind chill factor was too cold for us to walk.
(it registered as minus 15)

We made it home after a 4 hour wait at the ferry terminal.
The ferry broke down and was out of service!

The ferry was replaced with a smaller one that was also slower...
only 20 cars were able to board the 11:50 sailing...
fortunately we were one of those cars!


OOTD
Watching the kids swimming lessons at the Recreation Centre.

Pearls
Denim shirt
black pants
Chelsea Boots

I recently purchased a soft Tencel blue denim dress.
V Neck with button details down the front
short flirty capped sleeves
an asymmetrical scooped hem, 
shorter in front and longer in the back.

Will plan to wear it with some capri length tights and my pearls.


Made an easy and delicious French Onion Soup for lunch.

FRENCH ONION SOUP

Slice 4 large onions thinly.
Melt 3 tbsp. butter in a Dutch oven add onions
cook and stir for about 30 minutes until soft.
Add 8 cups of beef broth, boil, then simmer on low for 40 minutes.

Place 1/2 inch slices of French bread
topped with grated white cheese (I used white cheddar and parmesan reggiano)
in 425 degree oven for 5-8 minutes
until cheese melts.

Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the bread.
Let sit for a minute or two to allow the bread to absorb the broth.

Enjoy!


I went to Marshalls searching for  decorative salad dressing bottle with a spout...
I use a Bonne Maman jam jar for my vinaigrette but thought it might be nicer to have an interesting bottle that looks pretty.

No luck on the bottle 
BUT!

I found these charming tins with black polka dots for the laundry room!
Our decor downstairs is black and white and these just ticked all the boxes for storage.

Stain sticks, scrub brushes, wool dryer balls and specialty soaps are now discreetly hidden.

Am still on the decluttering band wagon!
Have tackled the linen closet, the kitchen drawers, dining room buffet and cupboards.

I have the hobby room cupboards
 and guest room closet with the out of season clothing to cull and sort.

There is rain forecast for most of the week so I will probably finish soon.

In the meantime 
while the laundry spins
I am using up leftovers and veggies and making soup.


How are things going with you?

Thank you for stopping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

10 comments:

Susan said...

Your blogs are always such a delight.

Lorrie said...

That's quite something about the ferries! Glad you were able to be one of those 20 cars! Your new laundry containers are so pretty. Hope you have a good week sorting things out while it rains.
Things are going well here. I am teaching for this semester (Feb through June) so my retirement schedule is set aside for a bit. I'm just teaching afternoons, so get a few things done around the house in the mornings.

beth b said...

My husband and I have been watching reruns of Julia Child/The French Chef and late last week she featured French Onion Soup ... and here you are with your recipe. I think the universe is sending me a message! Your laundry containers are delightful!! Anything polka-dotted does it for me!

Madame La-Bas said...

I really like denim blue! It suits pearls or turquoise jewellery. That soup is very easy and I just visited the cheese store. I bought a bit of Qualicum cheddar for Brian and a wee bit of mango and port Stilton for me. I just read The Island of the Sea Women by Lisa See. After a slow start, I really enjoyed it. I bought a blue Gilmore tunic at Mercedes Too and saw your daughter in Kay's Corner when I was there. I'm culling as well.

Patricia H said...

I agree!

Robyn said...

I am impressed with your lengthy walks and 10K steps! I too have been cutting back on carbs, eating more vegetables and rationing wine. I have only been walking 2 - 3 kms per day and lost 4 lbs in one week. You inspire me to walk longer! I love the pearls with denim - never thought of that and I will have to try it. Lovely post - thank you

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The ferry service to the Gulf Islands is often disrupted but we are grateful that they make the effort to accommodate these issues in a timely fashion.
Nice that you are able to go back and help out at the school...it will be a big change in your retirement routines! Enjoy!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I enjoyed Julia Child's PBS series...I saw a polka dot dress at the consignment shop yesterday...alas it was too small or I would have bought it in a heartbeat! Maybe French Onion Soup will on the menu for you and your husband one day soon!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh how wonderful that you found a tunic at Mercedes Too...I also bought a top from them...its a sleeveless blue linen tunic top with an asymmetrical hem. Did you say Hi to Jennifer when you were in Kay's Korner?
On my walk today I noticed that the heritage house on Fairfield road is accepting donations for their Saturday Sales...I must drop off a few things.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Walking is not too difficult when one lives in a scenic city...lots of things to see and open gardens to visit. Congratulations on your weight loss....that's fast results! You must feel encouraged! I am working hard on the next "5 pound goal" I made a lemon loaf and have been eating a slice each afternoon with my tea so I think it has stalled my efforts! Denim and pearls are worth a try!