Monday, February 7, 2022

Fast forward to February

 


I find it hard to believe that we are already in the month of February.
January felt like it flipped by so fast...

The crocus are showing us some much needed pops of colour.
Our snowdrops are in bud but not quite ready to fully open.

Many gardens in our area have masses of them 
naturalized in gardens and they look so beautiful.

I am of the opinion that one can never have too many snowdrops or roses!


Chester, our younger cat is 10 years old.
He's been losing weight these past couple of months and we had him to the vet.
She diagnosed him with early onset renal failure.
He's on a specially formulated kibble and we tried the canned food but he's not a fan.
It's better that he eat the canned food that he wants rather than lose more weight so we press on...
I am offering him small portions of canned food at several times each day.
He doesn't seem to have an appetite for the usual portions.

This situation is turning out to be quite stressful.
He is after all a big part of our family.
He's the cat with the biggest "in your face" personality...

We fondly call him...

"Chester the Pester"
and
"The Troublemaker"


Coffee by candlelight and fairy lights...
much appreciated and needed warm twinkle lights to ease the dark early mornings


Soups are currently the "go to" lunches here in The Humble Bungalow.
They are a great way to use up leftovers...

This soup is called chicken pot pie soup!

A store bought rotisserie chicken served us well.

Two nights of chicken and salads...
then soup for two lunches.

Economical, yes, indeed!
 I saved the carcass bones to make the rich broth.


The Boat Pond along the Victoria seafront.
We saw a group of fellows playing with their boats on our walk.

I stopped quickly and snapped this shot.

My husband is waking oodles of kilometres every day...
8 km at least.

I tag along for 5 or 6 km then head back home.
10,000 steps are my current comfort zone.
When I walk much more, my body aches.

It would be wonderful to be able to walk farther and not be in pain...
perhaps I can work up to more or is it my age?

We've been fortunate with our recent weather.
Sunshine and warmer temperatures have been lovely for our walks.
So grateful that the ice and snow have gone.


Today I walked to town and met a friend for lunch.
I spied this lovely clump of crocuses on my way home.

The crocus would add to a future blog post and they were actually what prompted me to sit for a few minutes to write a quick blogpost.

My teatime and knitting await...
my reward for getting in 10,000 steps
so will close for now.

Thank you for popping by the Humble Bungalow Blog.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

14 comments:

Sheila said...

Sending you good vibes for Chester! Try mashing some kibbles into his wet food?

Good to see you!

Patricia said...

How beautiful to see the delicate colours of the crocus, such a pretty flower. A boat pond is perfect in a city called Victoria; I think they are so charming, and it reminds me of Paris. Poor Chester, sending him best wishes, and hope your care and attention brings good results for him soon. He sounds like such fun to have around.

Judith said...

Our cat was diagnosed with renal failure three years ago. The vet prescribed a medication called Semintra that has done wonders and halted/slowed the progression of the disease. It also comes as a compounded formula called Telmisarten. We also let her eat whatever she wants, to keep her weight up. She is now 19+ years old, and still motoring.

Linda Shukri said...

So sorry to hear about your dear kitty. I love cats. Have had them my whole life. I have a tortoiseshell now. Her name is Callie. It's always stressful and emotional when they are ill. Or if you have to terminate them. Heart-wrenching! I hope he starts eating better soon. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I’m so sorry to hear about Chester. Our family had a cat with the same problem many years ago. Our vet told us it was very common because many cats eat only dry processed food and little or no water. To save her he told us we had to radically change her diet. We gave her the canned food he recommended but at first she refused to eat much. Gradually, however, she got used to her new diet and gained weight. After a while the vet told us that she was well enough to switch to good quality wet cat food with natural whole ingredients. Since she drank no water whatsoever we also added tiny quantities of it to her food. She lived a long normal life and we’ve been careful with all our cats ever since.
Sending you and Chester best wishes,
Meg

Lorrie said...

Sorry to hear about Chester.
I agree with you about never having too many snowdrops or roses. A small clump is naturalizing in our garden, but it is slow to spread. I admire my neighbour's patch that is so beautiful just now.
Enjoy your walks. I think that we can increase our physical strength at our age, but it should be very gradual. Alternating days with more steps helps me.
Coffee with the lights in the morning would be very pretty. Take care.

Poppy Q said...

My cat Poppy has been diagnosed too this year. She won't eat any renal food, just her usual biscuits and fancy feast. She is 15 though, and we are going go take it easy with her. Hugs to you and Chester, we know how much you love him.
Julie and poppyq

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you Sheila...Chester is doing a bit better. I did try the kibble in the prescribed wet food but he just turned his nose up! We are able to keep him on the prescribed kibble just not the cans so its back to Fancy Feast and at least he's eating.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The crocus are really pretty as they are popping out of the soil right now. Ah Paris! Yes those gorgeous big ponds at Luxembourg Gardens and Versailles...sigh.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Chester is eating the kibble as prescribed just not the canned food so we are back to Fancy Feast and I have been offering him extra snacks each day and he is slowly gaining weight which is a relief.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Chester is gaining weight slowly...he's eating cans of Fancy Feast and the prescribed kibble...I returned the unused Royal Canin cans that he refused to eat...I tried adding water, mixing it with the kibble but he wasn't having any of it! He's much happier now.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Chester drinks water but not as much as I think he needs...he's eating the kibble that the vet put him on, just not the prescribed canned food. We've been giving him Fancy Feast and extra helpings to help him stay hydrated and gain weight...so far he's gained a few ounces so fingers crossed he will continue to get better.
Thank you Meg.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh the sun is brilliant today! Such a lovely treat to walk outside and enjoy the lovely gardens and glimpse the wee flowers that are suggesting Spring is on its way!
I am finding 5km a decent walk...alternating steps sounds like a great idea!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh dear Poppy we are both in the same situation with our felines...
Chester eats the kibble that the vet prescribed but is eating Fancy Feast as the canned accompaniment. He's gained a few ounces and is acting more like himself...very encouraging for us.
Hope your cat is content and happy.
Take care