Saturday, February 13, 2021

Frances Sprout's Dal recipe....it's a winner!


Thank you to Frances for posting this delicious recipe.

Winter Warming Dal

Cook the lentils with water, ginger, bay leaves and a cinnamon stick.
10-12 minutes on simmer.


Jasmine Rice cooking on the back burner according to the directions on the package.
Saute a diced onion in butter for 3 minutes.


Add the spice mixture cook 3 minutes.





Topped with a tablespoon of Major Grey's Chutney

This dish is loaded in flavour and nutrients and is delicious.
Here is a link to an online site that has information on the benefits of eating lentils.


I have been eating this dish for my lunches.
 1/2 cup of rice and 1/2 cup of the dal with a tablespoon of chutney
5.5 Weight Watcher Points

It keeps me satisfied and mid afternoon I have a cup of tea and a piece of fresh fruit.

Hope you'll enjoy this recipe and many thanks to Frances.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

12 comments:

Margie from Toronto said...

This recipe is perfect! I've been wanting to try making Dal and I've got everyone of these ingredients. Thank you.

eleni said...

A really good recipe will try it soon for sure. A gift basket at Christmas contained a large jar of chutney ! Good timing.

Asha Nadkarni said...

So happy you like dal and rice. For most Indians (me included) dal & rice is comfort food. All the different dals are loaded with nutrients, and moong dal especially is also easy to digest and hence good when starting babies on solids, as well as for invalid people.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It tastes so good Margie! I think you'll really enjoy the dal.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh that is good timing Elenl I hope that you enjoy the recipe.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It is comforting food for sure! I have been eating it for my lunch and have made several batches of it since Frances published the recipe on her blog. I realize now what I have been missing!

Patricia said...

It sounds delicious! I rarely use lentils, and do not remember ever having Dal. Time to expand my repertoire and I certainly need to have a few weight watchers meals these days :)

Lorrie said...

It does sound delicious. I've yet to try it.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Am now looking for more lentil recipes! They are so healthy that I would like to find out more recipes to serve with our meals. Weight Watchers from the 360 green regime is what I am following...I am not paying for the new plan right now, am trying to reduce like I did in the past. Good luck!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

If you do try it let me know what you think of the recipe.

materfamilias said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this recipe -- and you did a great job of demonstrating the process. Isn't it yummy? And that it can taste so good and be so healthy is such a boon at this time of year especially, right?!(I also like it with brown basmati rice, for even more fibre goodness ;-)

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It is really delicious! I am loving it so much.