Sunday, June 30, 2019

The omelette that reminds me of Paris....

In 2015,
I travelled to Paris as a gift to myself in the year that I turned 60...
(with the encouragement and support of my beloved husband!)
For many decades I had a dream about visiting Paris and I had always had other commitments...bills, a mortgage and a job.

I retired and started to save in earnest...
I decluttered my closet and cashed in at the consignment shop.
Sold some knick knacks and saved my pennies.

If wishes were horses then beggars would ride!

It happened...my dream came true!

The sights and sounds were more than I could ever have imagined...
the cobble stoned streets, the shops, the churches, the cafes, the galleries, the fashions...the food!

It really took my breath away...
I felt more "in the moment" and alive than I could ever have imagined.

I smiled all the time!!
I fell under the spell of Paris, and wandered through the streets for hours and hours with an intense energy that I never knew that I had...it was BLISS!

Recreating and resurrecting feelings and the memories that I enjoyed when I was in Paris are easily captured in the flavour department.

Wine, teas, fragrances and food.


a simple omelette and salad 
savoured in a street side cafe, a famous Paris museum or here at the cottage


so simple

Follow along with me:

heat a non stick pan with a dollop of butter on medium heat
let it gently melt
 whisk a few eggs in a bowl
when the butter is melted 
gently add the eggs
turn and swirl them in the pan
when they start to firm up a bit
top with some grated cheese
let the cheese sink in and meld
add a tablespoon of capers 
(salt and pepper to taste)

swirl a wee bit more and gently 
using a wide spatula loosen the edges
when you have the edges loose
roll one side of the omelette over 
and make a neat little bundle

add a fresh salad 
(a glass of wine!)

ENJOY!


Ah! Paris

Sweep me away...
in my dreams!

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

11 comments:

Taste of France said...

Classic! Recipes are a great way to bring back the memories.
Oeufs brouillés are similar, kind of a creamy version of scrambled eggs.

Madame Là-bas said...

I sometimes make myself an egg white omelette for breakfast. I do it the same way with grated cheese and capers. I've also added cooked asparagus or sliced mushrooms. Omelettes are so easy and versatile. It does not take a lot to recreate Paris life at home. Bonne Fête du Canada!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I agree with you about the flavours of a country taking you back...I must find a recipe for oeufs brouilles.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Aren't capers a versatile addition to dishes? I love them with fish, in salads and on top of pasta. Mushrooms are WW friendly so i try to eat them more often...love them sauteed and popped atop of toast points!
Happy Canada Day!

Pam said...

what a lovely gift you gave yourself!! the memories you have now for a life time!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It was a dream come true...
this fall and friend and I are travelling to Italy, Provence and the SW France capping our trip off with a few days in Paris!

Kerrie Roberts said...

I think that one of the best things about eating in a bistro is the simple salad that's always on the plate. It may only consist of a few lettuce leaves , but the dressing is always fabulous. I live in south west France between Bordeaux and Bergerac. It's a beautiful area with fascinating history and I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit. Where are you planning to go ?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We will be in Rome a few days then head to a medieval village in Tuscany for a week. Marseille where we rent a car and spend a week exploring Provence we are staying in Pellisane then drive to Auvillar for a few days and off to Paris for a couple of days then back home.
Love the cobblestone streets and old stone buildings and churches. There is so much history in Europe as Canada is a much younger country by comparison.
Your part of France is very scenic and the Bordeaux wines are so spectacular! How fortunate that you call it home.

Kerrie Roberts said...

Living in France is very different to Australia where we have spent most of our lives. When you are in Auvillar you must visit Moissac nearby. It's a pretty town on the Tarn river. Albi is a little further to the east but well worth the drive, especially for the cathedral.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I was fortunate enough to visit Moissac in 2015 and loved the beautiful church with the cloisters...its a pretty village. I don't think we went to Albi. We also went to St. Circ la Popie, Cahors and Perche Merle to see the caves.

Denise said...

A lovely post brings back memories of my first trip to Paris. Will you be cooking French today? I'd like to make a dessert for Bastille Day. Maybe something with puff pastry dough