Tuesday, April 16, 2019

April Snippets

April seems to be flying by faster than last month...
odd how some months feel like they are long and others short.

I suppose it's how busy we are and how much we pack into each day.

I've been focusing on healthy eating and walking these past few weeks
in my attempt to shed some of the winter weight gained during the cold winter months.


This lane is tucked away off the beaten track in Oak Bay
we saw sunny yellow forsythia and Kerria Japonica 
bright bold red rhododendrons, 
various varieties of tulips and daffodils.

By this sign we spied evidence of the hollyhocks yet to bloom
we will come back along this way again as check on their progress.
I love hollyhocks but for some reason they do not grow well in our garden despite my best efforts,


The Iphone has a health app that helps me track my steps and distance walked.


Here is the readout for today...

A friend and I walked in Oak Bay today
around the waterfront and up into Uplands Park.


The native wild lilies are blooming.


The shooting stars are such a vibrant shade and look amazing en masse.


A camellia bloom was purposely placed on a green dumpster waiting for the company to come by and empty it!
I had to stop and capture this image...there is so much unexpected beauty out there is we just take the time to stop and look.


We rewarded ourselves at the end of our walk...
a cuppa with a view at The Oak Bay Marina.



The Karl Lagerfeld graphic tee...

I wore it in honour of Notre Dame.
The devastating fires yesterday at the iconic cathedral in Paris
have shocked and saddened so many
myself included.

It sounds like they plan to rebuild it.
They have raised millions already with more donations yet to come.


Taken in 2015 when I was last in Paris.


It's time that I prepare dinner so I must close for now...

Thank you for stopping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.
Until next time...

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~







13 comments:

caitlinsgrandma said...

Love your photo of Notre Dame. My photos were taken in the evening at Christmas 2007 with a brightly lit Christmas Tree out the front. It was magical. My photo isn't so good, lighting issues. My daughter and I attended an evening light show where paintings from various Paris churches were depicted on the (inside) Cathedral walls, accompanied by beautiful music. We went back the next day to have another look at Notre Dame in the daylight but I didn't take any more photos then. Feeling so sad now about the fire, it feels personal.

Madame Là-bas said...

April is half over! It dies fly past. I've not collected very many steps since I returned home. It seems cold but I'm walking today and attending a gardening meeting. Hollyhocks thrive (like weeds) here but someone planted them in medians without support. I've left a couple but they would take over. It's so sad about Notre Dame but I feel that the funds will be raised for the restoration. I really like that shirt. We have a Marshall's but I seldom shop these days. It might be worth a visit. Bonne Journée!

Lorrie said...

There are so many lovely things blooming around town just now. It makes me happy when I come across them on my walk. Yes, the Notre Dame fire is very sad. I've been looking over my photos taken during my visits there, too. I'm glad they are rebuilding and hope that it will go well.

Michelle said...

Such a sad day for Paris, and the rest of us that love history and architecture. Such a symbol of Paris.
I love your t-shirt. I know graphic t's are 'in' but have a hard time with making it a reality in my wardrobe. This one works on many levels; it is not garish; it makes a fashion statement; and it honours both K. Lagerfeld and Paris.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I find night shots very challenging...but them I only use my IPhone to take pictures. There are fancy cameras that has slower shutter speeds that help to capture the light.
We have our memories of the original Notre Dame...it will be interesting to see how they rebuild it. I am grateful that UNESCO is taking it under their wing as it is a world heritage sight.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The winds have been gusty and the mornings are cold...at least we have had some sun to warm us today.
Funds are pouring in already! Its so encouraging! UNESCO is going to be at the forefront to which is appropriate as the catherdral is a world heritage site.
Marshalls is one of my favourite shops these days...I love a bargain and I usually can find something that works with my basic wardobe. I'd encourage you to pop in and see for yourself!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The rebuilding will probably take decades...but the fact the they are committed early is very encouraging. I went into the catholic church in Saint Germain which was in dire need of restoration and there was a sign that said it would take many many millions of euros to restore it and that was in 2015, I lit and candle and popped in a few euros into the box...I plan to revisit next fall and see how they are progressing with their fundraising and will certainly walk to Notre Dame and see what the site looks like...and drop off some euros to help.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It really is an iconic structure in Paris just like the Eiffel Tower...
now that I am no longer working I can have a few fun things in my wardobe that are not necessarliy mainstream or conservative and at my age I don't really think anyone is looking at me!!
My friend and I keep passing a woman while we are walking who has her hair dyed in bright neon stripes and there are 5 different colours...that would be beyond my comfort zone so a graphic tee seems very tame to me.

Jeannine said...

I never responded about your graphic tee - I'm not a graphic tee person, but I do like yours. I like the very graphic black and white. Good for you on all the steps you're getting in! Those flower pictures and the pictures of Paris are lovely. Such a shame when something horrible happens to these old and beautiful buildings.

Patricia said...

What a stunning picture of dear Notre Dame, well done! It was so sad and shocking to see that beautiful spire topple in the flames, a loss to all who love historic culture and architecture. Your graphic tee came just at the right time, and I am sure you will wear it often. Fantastic effort with the walking - your knees must be better than mine ;) I am going to look for that app.

LA CONTESSA said...

THEY FOUND THE ROOSTER THAT WAS ON TOP with minor damage!!!IT WAS AND IS STILL DEVASTATING!
I could NEVER grow HOLLYHOCKS either............LOVE THEM HOWEVER!
YOUR doing GREAT!KEEP WALKING!!!!!!!FOR ME TOO!!!!!!!
XX

The Liberty Belle said...

I like your tee. All the best to you as you continue your regimen of healthy eating and walking. I tend to have spurts of dogged determination and prolonged lapses. Have a lovely Easter.

KSL said...

I started using the step counting app on my phone and I love it - helps keep my motivated. Hope you had a great Easter.