Thursday, November 29, 2018

Blooms, books and sprinkles...


One of the many sunflowers that have bloomed...

A thoughtful reader sent me some seeds in memory of my mom.
I sprinkled the seed packet on a walk last spring
 on a street adjacent to where my moms condo was located.
It was a daring guerrilla gardener moment!
Don't think anyone saw me...


a whale tail
created from pieces of driftwood
on the beach where I walk


These books are waiting to be read...


I have been busy 
volunteering, cooking, walking, shopping, polishing the tarnished silver...


A few stalwart roses are still blooming in The Humble Bungalow Garden.


When you forget to buy caramel sauce for the ice cream dessert you are serving after the Sunday family roast beef dinner ...
you need to be creative.

Cookie sprinkles
 in festive Christmas colours 
are hastily used to amp up the plain vanilla ice cream!

NEEDS MUST!


A cheery yellow rose in The Humble Bungalow Garden.

If I had to choose just one colour that I associated with cheer, positivity and joy
it would be yellow.

Hands down it is my favourite colour for a rain slicker or boots...
we get so much precipitation here in the PNW that it can become tedious 
 people (myself included) often feel gloomy.

I do not own a yellow rain slicker or boots...
my Saint James rain coat is beige
and
my boots are rather pedestrian 
as they are black!


The winner of the coveted Scotiabank Giller Prize was recently announced 
 it went to a talented writer who lives here in Victoria!
She won in 2011 for her book Half Blood Blues.

You can read more here.

This book is now on my must read list and I have not read her previous book either so I will look forward to both of those novels.

One of the many perks of retirement 
is being able to make and take time to read.

Hope you are having a great week.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

17 comments:

Taste of France said...

I agree 200% on yellow rain slickers and boots.
If by chance you read French (and not even very well), I highly recommend "le coeur n'as pas de rides" by Marina Rozenman. It's a collection of true stories of love later in life. It's very straightforward, so even if your French is basic, you will understand and appreciate. One of my favorite books.

awhiterockgarden said...

It is such a blessing to live in BC and have a few roses still blooming. Thanks for posting the pictures! I agree, it is a great time to get some intense reading done before the holiday festivities are upon us. Like you, my second Christmas without my mom and it feels odd.

LA CONTESSA said...

HUNTER has a YELLOW BOOT!IT was on INSTAGRAM yesterday but only a size 10...........for $20.00!!!!!!IF I see the AD again I will forward to YOU!!!!!!
ARE YOU A SIZE 10?Me thinks probably NOT!
I ADORE YELLOW TOO........Both kitchen and bedroom are YELLOW!It helps when the DAYS ARE pouring RAIN LIKE TODAY!!!!!!!
XX
POP over as Vicki Archer is ON THE BLOG THIS WEEK on AGELESS STYLE!!!!!!!!

Jo in Chicago said...

Quick caramel sauce:
Some spoonfuls of brown sugar
Some teaspoons of milk
A pat of butter
Some little pinches of flour
Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, microwave for a few more seconds.
Do not over cook or it will become very hard.
Adjust ingredients for the amount of sauce desired.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Yellow is a mood changer for me on a rainy grey day...happy to know that it works a treat for you too! Will make note of the book and thank you for the recommendation.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The seasonal temperatures have been quite favourable and the roses don't seem to be waning just yet...grateful to live here too. We miss our moms...and fond memories of Christmas past will sustain us through the holidays.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

No I am not a size 10!!! I wear a 6 1/2 or a 7 depending on the shoe or boot...
my husband and I dined in a Vancouver Italian restaurant last weekend called Cin Cin and their walls were painted a warm amber yellow....the food was amazing too....I had a "Meg Ryan" moment (When Harry Met Sally) when I tasted the grilled lettuce salad followed by fire grilled lamb chops and lentils...nom nom and a few glasses of red wine!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Great post on Vicki Contessa!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Oh thats a quickie recipe...I made caramel bars from Whitewater Cooks and the sauce was delicious but it did take awhile to make.

Madame Là-bas said...

I love caramel (especially salted caramel). Can I grill arugula? I love a warm salad in winter.
Like you, I limit my meat to mostly chicken or fish but I won't turn down lamb. I wonder how there can be so many good books to read. I read every day and I still have a pile waiting for me. It's weird how the flowers just keep blooming. Yellow is such a cheery colour but I have none in my wardrobe.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Looks like you have lots of fun and interesting things going on. Enjoy!

Lorrie said...

That's a lovely pile of books to anticipate reading. November has been particularly mild this year - I wouldn't mind a little more active weather for a few days. Sprinkles on ice cream is something our grands would love. Looks like you are keeping well and occupied with many things. Happy December days.

KSL said...

I also love yellow slickers and rain boots. Big stack of books on my nightstand as well.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I don't think arulula would be grillable! Too small....the lettuce that was grilled was cut in half and each side was placed on the grill and seared...totally delicious!
I don't own any yellow items in my wardrobe either...

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We decorated the house this weekend and did the tree with the grandchildren.
Its frosty this morning here...and I am sure the rose petals will be falling off soon.
How are things in your lovely garden?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The weather has been mild...its frosty this morning though so you are getting your wish! Isn't is a busy time of year? Lots of entertainment options and many craft fairs to attend as well as serving festive dinners to the community.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

What are you currently reading and what books are on your nightstand?...love to know!