Monday, November 19, 2018

Autumn splendour...last cottage visit.


Autumn is such a glorious time of year 

the vibrant colours elevate my energy 
making the time outdoors richer
with
walks that have become saturated in beauty.


a few raindrops do not dampen my spirits

they look like tiny jewels
embellishing the fallen leaves


 Isla and I were exploring at the cottage when we were last there...
we spied some interesting seed pods on this tree.


 Natural "treasures" from our nature walk
perfect "souvenirs" to take home.

Have you read The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady?
It is an illustrated journal and quite lovely.

This vignette reminds me of that book.


I love seeing life through the eyes of an energetic and enthusiastic child.

Those moments of excited spontaniety...

sharing many magical moments at school 
during the course of my career
 in the classroom and the library

with our own children 
and now our delightful grandchildren.


The moss on these rocks proved to be VERY slippery
Grammy had to say that it was "an unsafe place to play."

I didn't want to have an injury "on my watch!"


Peeking outside 
we spied raindrops on the leaves

"liquid sunshine"

inside we were cozy and content.

We were engaged in creative pursuits...
 felts, crayons, paper, 
colouring and activity books
Lego, games and toys.


"Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence."

~ Henry David Thoreau ~

"Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue." 

~ Buddha ~


Wishing all American readers a very Happy Thanksgiving.
Hope that your week is off to a grand start!

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

30 comments:

materfamilias said...

What a lovely place to have special time with a granddaughter... memories are made of this. xo

Jane T. said...

Beautiful photos. I love the colours of Autumn. I keep my copy of The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady on an Edwardian chair in our bedroom. I try and remember to look at it as each new month approaches.

Petal49 said...

Happy Thanksgiving. I have had that book for many years and will have to have another read. My grandson loves to collect leaves and other things when we are out too. Beautiful photos and quotes.

Jeannine said...

Lovely photos. I had not heard of The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady. I just put a hold on it at my library. Thanks for mentioning it.

Anonymous said...

Fall color is magical. Signaling the change of seasons. Our colorful leaves are on the ground, trees are mostly bare. We've even had 8 inches of snow and more to come tomorrow. All signs are pointing to an early winter with lots of snow. Sharing the love of nature with your grandchildren has to be delightful. Thanksgiving prep is underway. All is good. Susan

Madame Là-bas said...

I received a copy of the Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady as a 16th birthday present from a family friend (50 years ago). I loved it and I always imagined myself doing botanical sketching.
It sounds as though you and Isla had lots of fun. Autumn is my favourite season.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful colours!
Spending time with grandchildren must be precious,especially surrounded with such a wonderful nature. I can hardly wait,although no news regarding this subject!
Dottoressa
Dottoressa

KSL said...

So beautiful.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

These are the most beautiful pictures. I don't think I have ever seen the season illustrated in such a lovely way.

Dana said...

Hi Hostess! What gorgeous photos- they are so very beautiful. Autumn is my favorite season. We are celebrating Thanksgiving here in the US this week and I am saving a few of the last colorful fallen leaves for my table top arrangement. I have always been intrigued by the County Diary of an Edwardian Lady and after your recommendation- will definitely purchase a copy for myself. I simply adore your posts- they are like a breath of fresh air!!

Lorrie said...

In the years to come, your Isla will treasure these moments with you. What lovely memories you are creating in a lovely place.

Susan said...

Thank you for the lovely post and Thanksgiving wishes.

Adele said...

As always, a delightful post with lovely photos. I believe you have mentioned which camera you use before, but I cannot find that post. Curious because I am looking for a replacement digital camera and am quite confounded by all of the choices! Personal recommendations are often helpful.

Adele said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The cottage is a wonderful place for family to gather and explore the many beautiful places on the island.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Autumn is a very picturesque season! Enjoy your perusal of the book. I find it very inspiring.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you Pieta! We are so fortunate to have such beauty in our surroundings...and blessed to have grandchildren.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I hope you enjoy the book...it may inspire you to keep an illustrated journal!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

The cold snowy weather of winter can be so magical...I love how it muffled the noise and illuminates the landscape. Happy thanksgiving!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

An illustrated journal would be a fun project...I think it could become a family heirloom!
Materfamilias has been working on an illustrated travel journal which is quite beautiful....very inspiring...perhaps we should take the plunge and do some of our own?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Hope your wait is not too long...but they are worth waiting for!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Love the vibrant colours of Autumn 🍂
Happy thanksgiving to you all.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Autumn is so lovely dressed up in all the rich colours of fall...a very painterly season for all to enjoy.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you...mother nature makes it so easy to capture and record these images.
Hope that you enjoy the book.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Making memories...that’s what we are all about! ❤️

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Enjoy the feast and hope you are surrounded by your loved ones.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I use my IPhone...it’s small and handy to take with me when we go walking. The quality of the camera is impressive.

ratnamurti said...

autumn - so beautiful. lucky grandchildren, beautiful memories

Splenderosa said...

I love your nature posts !!!

Marilyn L said...

I have bought a book for my granddaughter for Christmas that I think you might like if your grandchildren are young. It is called Grandpa Christmas and written by Michael Morpurgo. Beautiful illustrations. He also wrote War Horse.