Dahlia season is upon us!
I am enjoying the many varieties that we added to the garden.
Mom had a dedicated dahlia bed when we were growing up in South Oak Bay.
She grew many dahlias and quite a few were the "dinner plate" dahlias...
aptly named because of their size!
She filled vases and we had many bouquets in the various rooms at home.
I'm taking a wee break from my jobs this morning...
the window washing with my new squeegee.
The bedding is in the wash too and I've put fresh sheets on the beds.
There is always something to do here in The Humble Bungalow.
My silver tea service needs polishing as do several of the silver trays...
I'll probably leave that job for a rainy day.
I spent 4 days on Salt Spring Island staying at the SSI Inn.
A very cozy spot located in the centre of town.
Treated myself to a buttery flaky croissant...SO GOOD!
Felt a bit like a Paris moment :-))
I had a good look around Ganges...
Walked with Brian's cousin Terry in the Fernwood area,
met up with my friend Ali and visited her amazing garden...
sipped a limonata and grazed on a charcuterie board of nibblies.
Thank you Ali!
A basket was purchased!!
(at the thrift shop)
Looked in all the thrift shops, explored several galleries and browsed Mouats.
I also went to a fabulous consignment shop called Bohemia.
This dress is cool loose and flowing with pockets (!) and fun details.
Is this what they call a balloon hem?
Puffy pocket detail.
I will wear this dress a LOT!
Annabelle Hydrangeas are in full bloom.
So big and beautiful.
Our limelights are in full bloom too...they are truly stunning.
I have almost worn this old Gap denim shirt out!
It is SO soft from all the washing and wearing...feels like a warm hug.
Do you gravitate to old favourites in your closet?
I have another denim shirt in a darker wash from Old Navy.
It too is faded and worn...I absolutely LOVE it.
Rewearing clothes does have it's benefits...they feel softer and are so cozy.
Climbing Royal Sunset Rose
popped into an old thrifted vase that was a find about 20 years ago for 35 cents.
I love this wee black elephant with the vessel beside him.
His trunk is pointing up which apparently means "good luck"
Wild rugosa rose...fragrant and frilly.
Book from the thrift shop which is surprisingly good!
I've not heard of this author but am loving the story.
I read every day so always like to have a few books waiting...
Reading is a luxury and one that I discovered fully when I retired.
Our annual tomato harvest has started...
Simple salad...
salt pepper and St. Agur cheese.
Another tomato salad...
this one made with vegan feta for a family gathering.
So flavourful and savoured slowly on these warm summer evenings.
Slow living agrees with me...more important than I ever realized.
I'm aging so my body needs to work and rest, work and rest.
My other theory is because our world is full of chaos.
It's spinning out of control...
but I am not "losing control" as having control of everything is an illusion.
We can only control how we react to any given situation.
I am focusing on small joys, simple living and doing things that "feel good."
I'm going to wrap up this post as I have a few more jobs that need doing here in The Humble Bungalow.
Hope you are keeping well and enjoying life.
Perhaps like me in the slow lane.
~ Bouquet of chive flowers ~
~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

















33 comments:
It’s always a warm surprise to see a post from you- and I love the dress!
Your new dress looks good and breezy for hot days - one of my favorite colours. The flowers in your garden are wonderfull. That first Dahlia had me thinking it's about time I went to a garden centre. I was surprised when the physio told me that I need to work for a shorter length of time and rest and so on with that cycle. I really seem to have aged in the last three years. I aggravated an old shoulder injury sanding back our garden bench and retreating it. Unfortunately I have some time before I can retire. But can slow down as the physio instructed in the weekends. So that's a good thing.
Best wishes, Kathryn.
Love the dress! Know what you mean about the shirt, I have a (very) old pair of Toast dungarees that are the most comfortable thing I own. Enjoying the slow life here too, spending time with the people & animals I love, gardening, reading and just pottering my way through life, a perfect antidote to the craziness of the world.
Definitely in the slow lane here, trying to savour these lovely sunny days. Beautiful photos of your flowers, and the tomatoe salad looks delicious. Vicki
Slow living is the best! I am enjoying my books and my flowers. You would laugh. I am thrifting roses. I have bought those little container roses at the grocery store, repotted them and protected them during winter. Now I have a small rose collection on our balcony. Your blue dress is perfect. As I said earlier, my linen dress like that is getting thin. It’s soft but will need replacing. I’m not buying any new clothes these days since my closet is full. Our summer clothes don’t usually get worn out. Your tomato with St-Augur looks beautiful.
Such a sensible and enjoyable approach to life, we are truly fortunate to be able to experience picking flowers, eating well, appreciating beauty.
Love the dress and I have an old denim shirt that is soft and so very cosy. I am slowing down too and enjoying my books, water coloring, cooking (a bit) and going to the theater. It’s good to be able to enjoy life at a little slower pace.
Lovely post. Do you know that chive lowers are edible? xo
Your flowers are beautiful! We usually have a wonderful display as well but this HOT and exceptionally dry summer has put a damper on my garden. We are watering our vegetables and even those aren’t what we usually get. I’m in Northern Wisconsin and climate change is very evident this year.
You mentioned chaos…It is horrible here in the states..we are waiting for this lunatic to leave and hopefully regain our lives and help the world to heal. We are good people with several bad apples causing chaos !
Thank you for posting…I enjoy it very much ! !
I'm so happy you're continuing your blog. There's something for everyone: your beautiful garden, a simple recipe that sounds inviting, a new book, and sharing shopping finds. It's like chatting with a dear friend. Thank you.
I have woken up after a detailed nightmare. Had a drink of water. Patted the cat. And come to your blog to wind down and recover. The cat has resettled herself in the centre of the bed. Am enjoying your lovely photos and thinking about flowers. Thank you.
Love the balloon hem dress - it's great on you! Your roses and hydrangeas are so gorgeous! Enjoy your slow pace - I'm envious!
I am always so happy to see your blog posts. I, too, am a reader and since you mention ‘slow living’ I wonder if you have read Adriana Tudorache’s book entitled ‘Slow Living for Modern Women’. Adriana lives in the UK and has a wonderful blog and YouTube channel. Although she is young enough to be my daughter, I marvel at her wisdom and I am very much enjoying her book. I just love your reading tips, your sense of style, and your beautiful flowers - thanks for being a bright spot during these troubled times.
Absolutely love the colour of your dress. I too love our slower pace of life, and we all deserve to have some 'me' time. Our days are getting lighter and a tiny bit warmer, roll on spring 💐
Thank you for taking the time to chat :-))
Kathryn...garden centres are like a candy store for me now!! I love slowly perusing the stock and get so much inspiration from the displays! Hope you are adapting well to short breaks when "working!"
Pottering is the BEST! I love how the days slowly ebbs by while accomplishing small jobs...Those Toast dungarees must be super soft !!!
Vicki...savouring slow days is the most luxurious thing I can think of now that I am retired...so grateful for these blissful moments. Take care
Good to hear that you are thrifting roses...they are a fabulous and rewarding plant to grow. I have a decent summer wardrobe now...I don't need any more clothes for the season. Linen is my favourite fabric for the heat and one doesn't need many garments if one chooses wisely. Enjoy the rest of the summer!!
Laura J...we are indeed VERY fortunate...grateful everyday for these blessings.
XO
Aren't denim shirts just the best when they are older and softened from repeat washings? Savouring these fun pastimes makes our lives so much richer...sounds like you are having fun!
I actually do know they are edible...we discovered that years ago at Hastings House on Salt Spring Island when we were served a salad with chives and nasturtiums.
There have been so many droughts across the planet...heat waves and now forest fires...it's very distressing. I understand that many people are frustrated with the politics in the states...we met a couple who have moved onto our street who are from Washington State and they decided to relocate permanently. I hope you are keeping well despite the current administration.
Nancy O...I am posting rather sporadically these days so thank you for being patient and for your kind words.
Hopefully that nightmare has been long forgotten...your cat probably helped to relieve the stress ! Patting our cat is a soothing habit...and Chester LOVES the attention. Cats are great pets.
Oh Sheila...your day will come when you slow down...I was a busy gal in my younger days... retiring has a way of slowing the pace for some of us...others carry on with busy lives and thrive on it.
I have seen her You Tube videos...a very does seem very wise, and grateful...she bakes a lot of yummy looking cakes too!!
I saw that she wrote a new book...I hope it does well.
There are a lot of talented young women on You Tube...it must be a big job to video all the episodes.
Colleen ...Spring must be coming soon...our weather is still warm but the nights are getting darker earlier and there is a bit of a chill in the mornings. I'll be packing away my summer clothes as you bring out yours!!
This year is my first huge harvest and it's been quite a job roasting them with olive oil and salt, then freezing to be used later. I was never much of a gardener, but the 3 raised garden beds have given me so much pleasure. I think you sort of "influenced" me to grow things.
I love blue on you and that dress is adorable. So many things are out of control in our world, and it all keeps spinning faster. I agree about the small things that we can control, feeling comforting. I'm also learning to play Mahjong, and I believe you play? Do you play American or Chinese Mahjong? KSL
Always enjoy your posts and am happy to see a new one. I use chive flowers and stems to make chive vinegar - never thought to put the flowers in a vase. Great idea. I'm looking forward to the mild chill of fall weather as hot and humid is not my cup of tea.
I played Chinese Mah Jong...but I haven't played since Covid so I think I would need a refresher course!!
Tomatoes are so flavourful when roasted and freshly picked make a delicious salad as well...good to grow things in your garden...it is a very calm and rewarding hobby!
Take care,
Leslie
Oh chive vinegar...I haven't heard of that before...must have a peppery taste...would go well in my homemade vinaigrette dressings. Fall is definitely on the way...we have had a warm summer here but there is a chill off the strait that reminds me summer is almost over.
I have a knitting project on the needles...wool and mohair. I know fall is coming when I start making scarves :-))
I'm late late late, but I want to add my cheers to everyone else's for your new blue dress find! So pretty on you, and what's great about it is the comfortable soft blue denim paired with the special unique details of the hem and pockets. That really elevates it. You will get lots of wear out of it I'm certain. Thanks for the beautiful photos and another slow-living post.
Erina
Post a Comment