Friday, September 20, 2024

September...and it Feels like Fall


Photo of The Hostess by my friend Laurette.

We had a wee dinner party last weekend at Quarterdeck Cottage.
Two couples joined us...
one couple sailed over in their boat and the other couple bunked in with us at the cottage.

On the menu:

Wontons stuffed with crab (Julie's creation)

Fresh grown heirloom tomatoes with balsamic crema.
Ina Gartens Parmesan Chicken served over a bed of arugula.
Baby new potatoes roasted 

Chocolate Mousse with fresh raspberries.

We had a sad thing happen in our family.
My SIL passed away quite suddenly.

I heard that she was not doing well and that my husband's nephew was driving up from Oregon.
I kept in touch via text and he told me they were getting her to the hospital asap.
As soon as she had a bed I picked a bunch of roses and took them out and had a visit.

We had a great chat, I held her hand and we were laughing...
I thought that she would get the help she needed and be back home soon.
That was Thursday afternoon.
We got a call Saturday night and she had passed away from
Congestive Heart Failure.


We have wonderful friends...


Found a pottery shard on the beach...
it goes with the blue and white ironstone that I have at the cottage.



~ Beach Vibes ~


We had some foggy and rainy days but the rest of the week was sunny.
The air felt cooler and there was a Feel of Fall.


A pair of "new to me" mugs from Good Things in Oak Bay.


I knit a bunch this week...
I found it very therapeutic as I was still trying to process the death.
The shawl is called Easy Goes It...I made it in pink last winter.
To lose a loved one is hard...even when they have lived a good long life.
Thank goodness I got to see her before she passed away...
I will hold that visit close to my heart.

A precious memory and a true life gift.


My Sea Glass necklace designed and made by Charlene Hall is getting lots of wear!


I never tire of searching for Sea Glass...


The sunsets were so beautiful.


The mauve shades were quite spectacular...


I enlarged this photo to see what boat this might be...
I thought at first it might be Holland America.

Turns out it is a different cruise line altogether...


I must be waiting to get some repairs or maintenance at a local shipyard.
Pender has freighters that anchor in the bays but this is a rather unusual sight.


Home today and am tackling the laundry and made Pasta Carbonara for dinner.
Very comforting...

We have a few things to tend to this week.
The painters will be here refreshing the front porch and fascia boards.

I'm going to be making soup for a friend who has cancer and is starting chemotherapy.
Hope that I will be back at the pool.
Aqua Fit classes are up and running and the pool has been refurbished.

Other than that,
 I have some dead heading to do on the roses and the apples look ready to pick. 
My husband will be bringing in a harvest of tomatoes for me to freeze.

What are you up to?


~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

No comments: