Sunday, October 13, 2024

Thanksgiving...and catch up from The Humble Bungalow.

 


It has taken me a few weeks to get back to blogging...
Not sure why?

 I am here now and am sharing lots of pictures and snippets.
Make yourself a cuppa and join me.

As you can see...
the Hydrangeas are getting crispy!
Time to make a wreath for the front door.


I have a grapevine wreath that I keep for seasonal use.
I just popped a few hydrangeas into the vine and hung it on the door.
It is simple and I quite like the effect.
No fussing required!

I've been busy lately!
Am back at aqua fit classes now that the pool has re-opened.

My arthritis in my hip flared up last week...
I think it was all the tomatoes that I have been eating...
apparently they are high in uric acid and that is a trigger for arthritic pain.

I took a day off and rested.


Fortunately I had a great book to read and the cats kept me company!
I found this Pulitzer Prize winner a difficult book to read 
 I am so glad that I persevered...
it really is an exceptional book, so well written.


I picked some of the Money Plant from the garden
saved the seeds, them popped them into the mosaic vase.
My mom grew these plants and used to do the same thing.


They are paper thin and I like how they glow in the sunlight.


We are enjoying the sunny Fall Days...
I have swapped out my summer wardrobe for the Fall and Winter clothes.


I found this cozy grey sweater dress at the thrift shop.
It doesn't have much "hanger" appeal here, it is much better on!
It is going to be my "go to" dress to wear on a cold day.

I have black capri tights and will wear them under the dress for added warmth 
paired with my Black Chelsea Boots.


My friend Wendie is loaning me her Ruth Galloway series of mystery books.
I am on book number 4 and am loving the stories.

Like Louise Penny, she has many of the same characters, and they develop over time.
 So you should start at the first book and read them in order.

Elly Griffiths has another series that I am planning to read after I finish this series.

What are you reading? 
Do you like mystery novels?


Iphone photo capturing the intense light at sunset a couple of nights ago.
Many people posted similar pictures on their Instagram Pages.
It felt surreal seeing this bold light...


The roses are fading in The Humble Bungalow Garden.
Margaret Merrill is a new rose here in the garden.
I found her at the Demitasse Garden Centre in Oak Bay.
She looks healthy and her subtle fragrance is lovely.


I love comfort food in the Fall and Winter.
I searched on google for cottage pie recipes and found this one 
on the BBC Good Food site.

Was very delicious and made enough for a hungry family.


Lots of ferry and boat traffic at the cottage...


Feeling grateful...
for
Sunshine this Thanksgiving weekend.

Cooking a small turkey with stuffing and oodles of seasonal root veggies.
Gravy and cranberry sauce.
Pumpkin Pie and whipped cream.

Looking forward to turkey sandwiches on soft White Bread :-))

Perhaps I will make soup?


Pasta dinner

I sauteed leftover diced Ham, fresh asparagus, and mushrooms.
Then added a jar of Alfredo sauce.
Served on top of spaghetti with grated parmigana reggiano cheese.


My (new to me) textured charcoal grey tunic top is getting lots of wear.

I am really enjoying the cooler Fall weather and am keeping busy.
What are you up to these days?


Jude The Obscure


Late into the rose season the petals fall when picked...
the fragrance is rich and heady.
The  $2 vintage silver jug looks so much better now that I have polished it!


Seriously colourful sky...
great views over The Salish Sea.


A wee treasure found at the recycle store...
for our darling daughter who collects these Nagel stackable mid century candle holders.

Well I must close for now and get started on the Thanksgiving Feast!
Thank you for your kind messages on the passing of my SIL.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Leslie. You look so good in all shades of gray. I recently finished The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver and have Demon Copperhead on deck (but not quite ready for it) - I'm Brooklyn by Colm Toibin, and will follow it with the sequel Long Island. xo Kathy

francesray.substack.com said...

Thank you for this wonderful potpourri of photographs, activities, and fashion. You mentioned wearing capris under a dress with a heavy sweater which is what I plan to do more of this fall and winter. Where I am in New England, the foliage has reached peak color and now thoughts to turn toward cold weather and a season of coziness.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Jane H said...

So glad you are back! Missed you. Fall is a favorite season and I welcome the comforting stews and roasts. Elly Griffiths is such a talent. Have read all of the Ruth Galloway books. Sad when they ended last year!
Stay well.
Jane from Port Townsend

Patricia said...

Your hydrangea wreath is beautiful, and speaks so well of Autumn. I had no idea tomatoes were a trigger for arthritis: as we eat them every day, I might try cutting back as our ageing joints are a constant niggle. I love the Money Plant, and have seen them when we visit Canada. They are gorgeous glittering in the sunshine. As ever, it looks delightful at the Cottage, and your Thanksgiving meal is yummy. Greetings to Jude, my favourite rose.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Kathy,

Hope that you are keeping well.
I enjoy Colm Toibin's writing style...Barbara Kingsolver has quite a few good books under her belt...Demon is a must read for Kingsolver fans.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Frances I can only imagine how beautiful Fall is in New England...if it is at all like the Fall colours in Ontario and Quebec then it must be a riot of colour!! Cozy season is upon us or as some say..."Sweater Weather" Keep warm XO

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Greetings Jane,
How are things going across the Pond? I must return to Port Townsend someday...it has such a colourful historic past and great architecture. I just finished book 4 of the Ruth Galloway series and starting on book 5...it is wonderful finding a great author! Stay Cozy :-))

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I had to do some research on the triggers for arthritis...I know now that certain foods as well as activities can make our joints ache more than we'd like!! It is raining here at the cottage but I have my book and knitting to keep me company and I will be nibbling on a turkey sandwich for lunch which will keep me happy until leftover turkey at dinnertime. Enjoy your week !