Friday, October 27, 2023

A WEE post ~ in between...stay tuned for the regular post on Sunday!

 


I am so thrilled with the lavender soap that I ordered from French Larkspur.
I love a scented soap and treat myself regularly to a fresh new bar...
I find it difficult not buying fragrant soaps :-))

If I go into a shop that sells gifts I head to the soap section first.
Rarely do I leave without buying a bar or two.

Mom loved her Yardley's English Lavender Soap
she actually kept it in her bedroom so that the rest of the family  didn't use it all up!
I wonder if it was an expensive luxury item back in the day?
She would unwrap bars and scent her lingerie drawer with the bars of soap.


This soap has found a "home" beside the farmhouse kitchen sink.


The wee posy is still looking lovely!
Twas a gift from our lovely neighbours 
In appreciation for all the veggies and apples that we gave them over the summer.


Look at the most recent harvest of the peppers!
My husband has outdone himself growing all the veggies this year.

I am using the peppers in all kinds of dishes...
salads
soups
spaghetti sauce
chili


I love baking sourdough bread, tending to the starter is like feeding a pet.

I make a boule each week 
we enjoy the bread sliced and served with butter or toasted with jam.

The texture is dense, requires a lot of chewing and the crust is crunchy.
Not only is it fun to make it is very economical.
With food prices rising it is nice to know that homemade bread is still affordable.


Chili for dinner tonight!

Saute 1 chopped onion, 2 cloves minced garlic, 
3 stalks of celery and 2 green peppers diced and cooked until soft.
Add 1 pound ground chicken (or turkey or beef)
cook until no longer pink.
Drain and rinse 2 cans of red kidney beans add to pot.
Then add a large can of diced tomatoes (stewed tomatoes work well too)
2 Tbsp. Chili powder, 1 Tbsp cumin, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp salt
Simmer for at least an hour, stirring often.

I serve the chili topped with grated cheddar cheese and sour cream.

Bon Appetit


Currently reading this book...
it is rather like a travelogue.
I am enjoying the whimsy and honesty of the author as he retells the story of his trip.


We keep our "heart" lit up 
on behalf of the local hospital workers who work hard.

Covid is making a comeback here in town...
people are back wearing masks in the shops.

We both have just had our 6th vaccination and we took advantage at the pharmacy and had the annual flu shot as well.
I had a reaction to the shot(s) was awake at 2:30 with aches 
stayed awake the rest of the night...
but I managed to go to aquafit and had a great workout.
Feel totally normal now!

I've been so busy in the kitchen that I haven't really had a PLAY DAY.
I promise I will take off my apron.

I plan on taking myself to Marshall's for a WALKABOUT.
STAY TUNED :-))
It is always fun looking at their stock and I rarely leave empty handed.

What's new with you all?
Don't be SHY...leave a comment.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

8 comments:

Lorrie said...

Your pepper harvest is amazing! And I can just about smell the deliciousness of your sourdough boule. My parents are visiting for the weekend so I'm spending time in the kitchen, too. I'm thankful, though, that they can be here. Scented soaps are such a simple luxury. I love the citrus scents.

Latane Barton said...

I love scented soaps, too. And, yes, I store my extras in my lingerie drawer and other places so that the aroma greets me whenever I open a drawer.

Judith said...

Everything you cook or bake looks scrumptious. Am going to try your chili recipe. How are your kitties doing?

Brenda N said...

Hi Leslie, I love seeing all the homey things you shared, the soap, home grown peppers and especially the sourdough. Always inspiring! My mom taught me to keep soap bars to scent my drawers too. I still have an open weave crocheted fish with a soap bar in my drawer, made for my mom by my babysitter when I was 4. That fish is now 59 years old! My husband is sleeping off his 6th covid shot (from yesterday) right now, I had mine a couple weeks ago.
Take care :)

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Lorrie ~ Marshalls has some lovely soaps in stock right now...hope your parents are enjoying their time here on the island. Such beautiful sunny weather for their visit.

Latane ~ Sounds like many people put soap in their dresser drawers! I have fresh lavender sachets in my drawers as we grow it in our garden.

Judith ~ Hope you enjoy the chili!

Brenda N ~ That crocheted fish sounds like it could be a family heirloom...my mom had a crocheted toilet roll cover in our bathroom when we were growing up...it was a Poodle Dog...not sure if it was a 1960's "thing" because my grandmother had one in her powder room too!

Anonymous said...

I too have a fragrant bar of soap in my lingerie drawer! I always enjoy your blog, just like a home visit with you!

Sheila said...

Yardley's lavender was a staple in our house (we lived on Lavender Avenue, so it was appropriate!).

I need to book my booster, thanks for the reminder!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Anonymous ~ Using the soap bars in the drawers is a habit that is very popular !!

Sheila ~ Oh my a Lavender Avenue and Lavender soap fans! Perfect combo!!
Good luck with your booster.

Happy Halloween !