Monday, June 26, 2023

Monday morning...a few snippets...Victoria Sponge Cake!

 


Thank you for all the get well wishes...
I responded to your kind comments in the past post.

Life is rather slow here in The Humble Bungalow as I am following doctor's orders.
I CAN be quiet and REST despite my busy brain.
Fever has gone and I have 5 more antibiotic pills left to take.
Go for more tests next week and a CT scan with dye will be arranged.

I have also booked a haircut and a pedicure.
(NEEDS MUST)


My husband kindly chauffeured me to the local library...
I found 3 books in about 15 minutes which might be a record.

Reading and copious cups of tea are my go to cure all.
I made a quick pilgrimage to Murchie's for Queen Victoria Blend Tea.

I'm not a daytime TV watcher...never have been.

Books to the rescue.


Am almost finished this Kate Atkinson book...
set in 1920's London
A seedy view of the clubbing scene with drugs, sex, booze, and murder.

Despite the dark side of the life that The Bright Young Things dabble in,
 I am drawn to the glamour...flutes of champagne, dresses, furs and flashy cars.

The book is a departure from Kate's usual themes 
but is incredibly well written, atmospheric and rich.


One of the newer roses in The Humble Bungalow Garden is in bloom.
Meet Betsy Sinclair, a rose that Robin Sinclair cultivated in the memory of his wife.
Robin used to own and run The Brentwood Bay Nursery 
where I purchased most of the David Austin roses that started my collection.
He still dabbles in horticulture and  a friend of mine volunteers out there...
she was able to secure the purchase of this rose for me.

The rose is gorgeous and the scent is fragrant with a citrus overtone.
It reminds me a bit of my favourite David Austin Rose Jude the Obscure.


Joseph's Coat Rose

Staying at home more has opened my eyes to the coziness of our old bungalow.
Cocooning in my bathrobe longer in the mornings feels like a luxury...
no rushing, 
hardly anything to make me get up and get going :-))

Simple meals served by my husband...
a combination of deli food and take out ~ healthy and delicious.

This morning I decided to make some sourdough bread...
that is my mission for the day!



I feel a wee bit like an Edwardian woman...
drinking tea and reading
occasionally looking outside at the lovely flowers
contemplating the songs of the birds
slowly
rubbing rich hand cream into my idle hands.

Dreaming of wellness and future activities of my own choosing.

There is a garden party for some friends in a week
 I plan to make my favourite Victoria Sponge Cake.



These sweet peas are SO fragrant!
I popped them into a wee vintage battered silver jug.
I think the jug cost $3 and it had been passed up by many a shopper.
I kept seeing it on the shelf getting dustier and dustier, looking so forlorn.
It is my newest thrift shop vase!

Am so looking forward to attending...
it's lovely to be invited into a lush garden for tea
with friends.

Friends in a garden... Tea and Cake
What could be nicer?

Have you got any lovely plans coming up in the next few weeks?



Thank you for stopping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

9 comments:

Sheila said...

I am glad you are on the mend, Leslie! And glad you have been enjoying your down-time as well, and doing things that make you happy. Your days sound wonderfully relaxing.

We're doing a barbecue at a friend's house for Canada Day, and are doing 2 of 3 days at the Phillips' Backyarder the following week. Exciting!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Sheila ~ Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful Canada Day...nothing like a BBQ to kick off the summer season.

Susan said...

It sounds like you are taking care of yourself and making the best of the illness with things you enjoy. Sending all best wishes for speedy recovery.

Lorrie said...

So glad you're feeling better, Leslie. Being idle and enjoying life is a good way to recuperate. I'd much rather read a book than watch television, too. Take care.

GG said...

Happy Canada Day weekend.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Susan ~ Am doing my best to follow the doctor's instructions...feeling much better and look forward to the tests to rule out anything sinister.

Lorrie ~ Am reading The Bloomsbury Girls which is a follow up to her previous book The Jane Austen Society...very enjoyable. Happy Canada Day weekend :-))

GG ~ Thank you...I have a casual tea and visit in the garden planned but nothing too wild!!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery, and thank you for posting your always beautiful, interesting, and uplifting posts and pictures:)
A long-time friend from Aberdeen, MD.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Anonymous from Aberdeen, MD ~
Thank you! Hope that you are enjoying your summer.
Happy July 4th

Leslie

Anonymous said...

Leslie, it was heartwarming to hear the dr. took the time to call! There is still much human kindness to witness. Very glad to see the books, I just finished one I saw here, The German Wife, loved it. Cheers and take care, Rita