Wednesday, June 7, 2023

June 7th ~ Lots to chat about so I have written an early blogpost


This soft Merona Tencel dress was hanging in the Thrift Shop
just waiting for me!
I couldn't buy it fast enough...
I felt like the woman in that IKEA advert that says Start The Car!!!

Target carried the brand when they had a store here in Victoria 
a few years ago, which BTW I loved.
Frankly I was VERY disappointed when they closed the store.

It reminded me of The Monoprix in France...
a little bit of everything and food too!

So I have worn this dress 6 times since purchasing it...
I pair it with white capri leggings and my blue suede sandals
or Blue Converse Sneakers.

The fabric is dreamy...SO SOFT!
It reminds me of a well worn favourite but without the wear and tear or holes.

I wore it in the garden while deadheading the roses 
(with pearls and my chartreuse green linen apron)
 my husband said "That is the perfect dress for the garden!"

It is rare that he comments on my attire, so I was both pleased AND surprised.

I LOVE getting a bargain at a thrift shop.
Of course I had to purge a few items this past week...
I don't like to have the closet too crowded.

Our Bungalow is so very short on storage 
so I am mindful of accumulating too much STUFF.
I really dislike CLUTTER but I do love to collect...
it is a fine line that I walk.

This week I picked up a plant pot and a lone floral china teacup 
left for free at the side of the road...
I have a wee bit of a problem passing up FREE stuff!


Himalayan Blue Poppies blooming at Government House.
These are very difficult to grow, you can buy seeds at Butchart Gardens.

This grouping of poppies look very happy and healthy.

Walking at Government House is even nicer now that their tearoom is open.
The exotic plants make for an educational saunter and there are plant sales as well.

I recently met up with a long time reader Sue K Blaney, 
I brought her back to The Humble Bungalow Garden for a quick peek
then up to Government House for a walkabout.

She and her husband were on a tour visiting Victoria and Vancouver.

We had a few hours to walk, admire the gardens, and enjoy the spectacular views across to the Olympic Peninsula and the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
Afterwards
 We went to the Demitasse Garden Center and Cafe for a coffee 
because the tearoom was closed.


Peonies are in their heyday right now at the Gardens.
The bees just love these flowers.


We had some former clients of my husband's here for a garden tour and a happy hour.
I picked a few of our fragrant David Austin Roses 
placed them on the table in the sunshine then brought them inside where they promptly wilted but they still look gorgeous.


Fragrant Climbing Royal Sunset Roses
popped into my wee vintage Elephant and Urn Vase.
I've had this small vessel for about 20 years...I paid 35 cents for it.

I've shared it here before and we talked about how it is good luck for the elephant trunk to be raised upwards.


Sourdough Starter is coming in handy for other baking projects these days.
I regularly bake the boule, but now I am baking scones and biscuits.

I found two great recipes online and they have been well received 
so now I can add them to my regular repertoire!


Ignore this tidbit of news if you want but I've got a UTI...
am on antibiotics and it's the second one in weeks.
Perhaps the first one didn't get completely cleared up?

I am trying to increase my daily quotient of water.
I have friends who are plagued with these infections and suffer a LOT!
Truly, I haven't had anything like this, in many many years.
My sympathies to those of you who struggle with them...
I hope this is not the start of a new health issue.

The Aquafit classes continue to be a source of pure JOY.
I do miss my long walks but I am getting used to getting wet in the pool!
This week a woman complimented me on my bathing suit...
another one of my bargain finds at the local Marshalls Store.
Miraclesuit.

We are constantly in motion in the pool and the lively music helps me keep the beat.
My arms are getting a great workout too using the foam dumbbells in the pool.

I must look very serious as I have to focus so much on the instructor.
Other women in the class know what to expect and I am sure 
that in time I will as well.



Current Book Stack...

I started reading Richard Osman's The Man Who Died Twice...
told my husband about the book and he's keen to read the series too...
He zipped out to the bookshop and bought the two other books.
He's reading the first one now, The Thursday Murder Club.
The third is The Bullet That Missed and there is another one due out very soon!

When I was on Pender at Talisman Books 
the owner asked if she could help me find anything...
we got chatting and exchanged our tastes in books.

She recommended The Outlander and Ridgerunner by Gil Adamson
her book club read them and she (they) loved them so much.
I chose The Mayfair Bookshop on a whim.

What are you reading?


Golden Celebration Rose

Well I have rambled on about enough stuff for now...
don't want to bore you.

Please let me know how things are going with you.
I am enjoying the refreshing dialogue that we are having on the blog.
It keeps things interesting.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

23 comments:

Sue in Ontario said...

Always enjoy a new post, so thanks for that! Re your latest medical issue - years ago, on the advice of my urologist's nurse, I started taking a daily cranberry pill (I use Swiss Nature 1132mg cranberry extract - they look like little red beans) and I haven't had a UTI since. Highly recommended!


Anonymous said...

Enjoy your blog so much, Leslie. Your flowers are amazingly beautiful!

Lynn H

GG said...

Love your blog AND you, it's like sitting down for a chat with a dear friend. Your dress was a great find and I love your tea of adding leggings to the mix. It is soooo lovely seeing shots of your bungalow and beach house plus your gorgeous garden. Also your tips on aging gracefully and beautifully at our age. Please take care and thank you for your beautiful sharing.

Maggie said...

Vaginal estrogen cream may help with the anatomical changes that the low estrogen that comes after menopause. My gyno says it's perfectly safe-can even be given to breast cancer patients-and I have had no UTIs since going on this medication.

Brenda N said...

Hi Leslie, It's always a treat to see a new blog post! When the husband compliments the dress, you know it's a good one. That fabulous blue Himalayan poppy is the stuff of legend here in So. Calif. Before reading the blog, I was just sitting on the patio with my lunch thinking of scones, and trying to recall if they require yeast. I haven't made them in decades. I'm a baker, but not a skilled yeast person, ha.
Reading "The last of the Moon Girls" a mystery by Barbara Davis now, new author to me, enjoying it so far. I have the new Nancy Thayer book on my stack "All the Days of Summer". I so enjoyed "The White Hare" that you suggested that I have another Jane Johnson book to read, "The Sea Gate".
Take care :)

Jeannine said...

I am sorry about your current UTI issue. I do know what you mean about the round of antibiotics not doing it and you're back where you started - that's what happened to me the last time I had a UTI (months ago now and the previous one was years and years ago). I, too, hope this isn't the start of a new and ongoing issue. Sometimes it seems like it's always something! Those blue poppies are just outstanding. I've never seen anything like them and blue being my favorite color makes them especially striking, to me.

Lesley said...

Love reading your posts. Your roses are beautiful! I really love hearing about the books you are reading. I always make note, and am happy for any suggestions. I just finished The Bullet that missed and The Man Who Died Twice. Waiting for the Thursday Murder Club to be available st the library. So I read them in reverse order…needs must.

Debo said...

Such glorious flowers. My apartment is filled with the scent of roses and a very large peony right now. I love nothing more than filling my thrifted vases with local flowers, all year long. So much to enjoy on your blog. Also I can relate to the issues of bone density and UTIs. These are certainly bugaboos for my golden years keeping life interesting. My respect for all the the women who have come before me deepens daily! And I can second Maggie's comments above. I use a naturally sourced estrogen cream and have for many years. Flowers, books, thrifting treasures are also some of the joys of my life now that I am retired. I am reading The Sea The Sea...the book that won Iris Murdoch her Booker Prize. It was a lucky find in one of our Victoria local free libraries. It is a bit of a surprise but deeply engaging. Have a great evening Deborah

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Sue in Ontario ~ I am taking the cranberry supplement! I hope it helps...fingers crossed that I respond to it as you do!

Lynn H ~ Flowers are so easy to share...they are a much needed pop of colour and so cheerful. Hope you are enjoying your week.

GG ~ I rather like your idea that we are having a chat together :-)) I do think about readers when I sit down to create a post. Thank you for your kind comments.

Maggie ~ Thank you!
I am going to have that discussion with my doctor...he was reluctant to put me on any estrogen because my mother had breast cancer. If it helps keep me healthier I would hope it would be a viable option.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Brenda N ~ I totally agree with you...husband's compliments are worth noting!
Mine usually says the pasta is delicious :-))
I loved Jane Johnson's book The Sea Gate...I will make note of those other titles too, thank you!
Most scone recipes do not call for yeast...but these rise up and are soft. I think I found my "forever" recipe.

Jeannine ~ It is interesting that you had the same issue with the UTI...I was given a stronger antibiotic the second time and wonder why it was not given the first time? Both cost the same...I haven't had antibiotics for many many years...so it's not like I have a resistance to them? I am encouraged that you have not had a repeat infection...hope I have seen the end of this too!
Those blue poppies are magnificent...I am smitten with them and had to return back to the gardens to take another peek.

Lesley ~ Good to hear that I am not alone in reading the series out of order!!! Would we be considered rebels perchance? Well obviously we are on the same page :-))

Lorrie said...

I love these chatty posts.
After a bout of several UTIs several years ago, my doctor prescribed Vagifem, a low-dose estrogen pill inserted twice weekly. Much neater than the creme. I've not had a UTI since. When I asked him about the breast cancer concern, he said the medication is very localized and causes no problems. It might be worth a chat with your doctor.

Beautiful roses, and how lovely to find that dress you love.

Judith said...

Am going to have a wander in the Government House gardens. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I am so relieved to find your blog still here! I was so afraid you were going to “retire”. I’ve been reading you forever. I find humble bungalow so calming and enjoyable.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Debo ~ Thrifted items are such fun! I love finding a bargain...sounds like you have a great collection of flowers and vases. Nothing like the fresh flowers to add ambiance to your home. Sounds like you live here in Victoria too! Our paths may have crossed at a thrift shop...if you see me out and about please introduce yourself :-))

Lorrie ~ If I have an reoccurance of the UTI I will ask my dr for that treatment. I am on the cranberry supplement now. Chatty posts feel honest and friendly right now...hope that you enjoy your weekend!

Judith ~ You are another local reader! Greetings from Fairfield.
I hope you enjoy your walk at Government House.

Anonymous ~ I thought I was going to retire too...Blogger was frustrating me and I am no tech expert...but I am pressing on...Needs Must!

Anonymous said...

.35 cents😳That was a bargain!
I love the sound of the dress and apron!
I have that yellow rose too!
Fun meeting up with Readers!!!
My Mother had the UTI’s towards the end.I had no idea they can change your personality but they can.
She pulled a knife on her caregiver😳
We thought she was losing it and put her in a different home only to find out too late!
Just info we all should know!!
La Contessa
Xxx

LadyJicky said...

You have beautiful roses and I do wish I could grow that blue poppy.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

La Contessa ~ Your Mom must have been suffering a lot. I have a friend whose mom also had personality changes when she was ill with a UTI infection.
I hope we can age with grace and decorum.
We have a lot of rain today we really need it as there are forest fires raging here in BC...I am busy in the kitchen baking a cheesecake for our darling granddaughter who will be 13 this week!
Had my 50th high school reunion get together last night...fun to see many that I have lost touch with over the years...many came from far away to attend.

Enjoy your weekend :-))

Lady Jicky ~ The seeds are sold at Butchart Gardens here in Victoria so you might be able to order them online?
I grew some but they only lasted for three seasons and then disappeared. They really make a statement!

Sheila said...

That's a great basic dress! I've had a week off (stay-cation), so have been reading - I'm currently hooked on Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole Scandi-noir murder mysteries. I keep finding them at WIN, so am blasting through them in willy-nilly order. We did need that rain, but I'm happy to see the sun again today. I was just thinking about a walk at Gov't House! I must take my mom up there again soon.

I am prone to UTIs - and I don't have a doctor! So I am very very careful...

Good to hear from you - so nice that you got to spend time with a reader! <3

Sharon said...

This might be far out there, but could there be a connection between your UTI and the pool water exercises?

Gail said...

Ive only had one uti in my old life and it was not nice, you have my sympathy! Love poppies but don’t think I have ever seen a blue one. It is special. Your photos are amazing!

Ann said...

What a great blog ! The roses are beautiful...here in Lancaster, Pennsylvania there are several city parks. One posted in the paper that the rose garden was in bloom so we took a walk there last week. GORGEOUS...will do a post on my blog with photos sometime soon. Thanks for the book recommendation. I just finished The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell by Robert Dugoni - he was the guest author at our library fund raiser and I had never read anything by him before...but wow, was this book good. Hope you are feeling better -

kateR said...

Definitely vaginal estrogen!! I follow a urologist on twitter (Dr. Ashley Winter) and she is a huge proponent for women of our age, in particular. I notice the younger doctors (women, anyway) are also up to date on how beneficial it is. Most say all older women should be on it forever. Virtually no risk.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful world.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Sheila ~ Hope that you and your mom enjoy the walk at Government House. Jo Nesbo's books are very popular! Thrillers that would probably keep me awake at night!!!

Sharon ~ I hadn't started in at the pool when I got the UTI's so I don't think that was the issue, but good to keep in mind.

Gail ~ Nice to hear that you enjoy the snapshots! It is fun to capture snippets in our garden and things that I see in my daily round that look interesting. Thank you for following along with me :-))

Ann ~ I think the UTI has gone...I don't like to harp on about ailments. There are so much beautiful roses and it is lovely to explore the local parks and gardens. I hope you are having a lovely week.

Kate R ~ It would seem estrogen is the popular treatment for women my age...will bring it up w=ith my GP. Thank you!