Sunday, March 5, 2023

March 3rd ~ 68 years and thoughts on being OLD, clothes and such.

 


Well I guess this is what 68 looks like...
I still remember how excited I was when I turned 13.

I don't FEEL 68, 
but that sounds strange 
as how WOULD a 68 year old feel?

My idea of 68 (when I was younger) was that at the age of 68 one was OLD.

OLD 
crotchety...
wrinkly and worn out.

Well I can attest to having grey hair, wrinkles and feeling weary on occasion.
But my idea of an OLD woman has changed :-))
Perhaps because I am here and at the age of 68 years OLD young.

I do have aches and pains and cannot do all the things that I used to do in a day.
My flexibility is not what it once was...
 but I am working to regain some of what has been lost.

My eyesight has weakened and I wear glasses to see properly.
I've given up wearing high heels, and only own two pairs of "kitten heels."
I opt to dress for comfort most days...
(apologies to MOM)
I am very much like her in looks and demeanor 
but I don't have that "dress up everyday" gene.


I am wearing a warm and cozy "new-to-me" wool vest with cap sleeves.
I found it at the thrift shop on Pender on my birthday.
What you cannot see are the Hudson knit tweed pants and black Chelsea boots.
You'll have to use your imagination :-))


~ OOTD ~
Snow day at the cottage.
This very old Gap denim shirt gets worn a LOT.
It is soft and comfy, a desert island garment.
Layered over a black lace camisole, black lined leggings.
Akoya Pearls just because...


I am enjoying watching fashion reels from style savvy gals on Instagram.
The Street Style snippets are fun and the tips are great.
Some days I want to rush out and buy a bunch of new clothes!
But seriously, I have to consider my retired lifestyle...
where would I wear a sequin skirt?



I did buy a rhinestone bracelet before Christmas that I must start wearing for fun.
On days perhaps when I meet friends for coffee...


A mystery...
love the description of the book.
Three retired primary school teachers who meet every Thursday for coffee
solve the mystery of a friend...


Yes this is something I need to wear more often...
it has a bit of bling to elevate these cold and blustery days.

My new book is calling my name and I am going to pop the kettle on for a cuppa..
hope you are feeling good and making time for fun.

Thank you for stopping by The Humble Bungalow Blog.

~ Be Well and Be Kind ~

21 comments:

materfamilias said...

Happy Birthday (belatedly, I'm afraid)! These big numbers can be daunting, but we're so lucky moving into them with relatively good health and considerable ease in our lives. Enjoy your restful Sunday.

Lorrie said...

A very happy Belated Birthday to you, Leslie. I know what you mean about not feeling old. What is old supposed to feel like? I'm grateful to be alive, healthy, and happy. Like you, I can't do everything I used to do, but can still do plenty. Your new bracelet is beautiful, and definitely adds bling to an ordinary day!

Poppy B. said...

Happy birthday, Hostess! I hope you have a wonderful day, with many more birthdays to come.

I know what you mean about not feeling your age, but an article I read recently (but of course, can't cite properly because I can't remember where I found it, because, hello, OLD) said that we ALL feel younger than we are, often by as much as twenty years. I guess we all get a notion of what it's going to be like to be a grown-up when we're young, and we forget to update it!

Patricia said...

Happy Birthday dear Leslie. You look great, and I hope you had a fabulous day. Your bracelet is absolutely gorgeous, and what fun to add to your outfit. I too have given up on the heels, and can get around much more quickly and safely with fun flat shoes. Modern medicine has been good to us, keeping us all going strong perhaps much longer than our parent's generation. Hurrah for old age!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Happy Birthday. At 68, I echo everything you've said. And yes, wear that bracelet to go to the supermarket, library, taking the garbage out (well, maybe not that one).

Sheila said...

Happy Birthday, Leslie! My younger self would have thought I was an ancient crone at the age of 55 (I am 13 years younger than you). I remember thinking about how old I would be in the year 2000 - 33! Practically dead!

It's funny how our idea of what "old" is changes the older we get, isn't it? In some ways I feel like a wise old sage, and other days, I feel like a spry 30-something. Keep stretching (I do yoga at home daily) and keep walking. Also, YES to that sparkly rhinestone bracelet - your mom would approve!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

We were able to meet up with our son and the 3 grands for brunch...lovely to spend some time out together at a restaurant (me not cooking!) Views of the Inner Harbour and delicious food at Lure.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Than you Lorrie! I am grateful for so many things...health is up there on the top of the list. I had lunch out with 3 of my friends today and we had such a great visit chatting and catching up on news of our families.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you Poppy! I have missed you ! Hope you are well.
Perhaps we feel younger because we are exposed to social media which focuses on the "young." Our actual numerical ages do not mean that much anymore? or perhaps it is that we know what we need to do to help maintain our health through diet and exercise?

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I had my hair cut today and feel much better with some new layers to compensate for the thinning strands !! My parents did seem older to me when I was a teen but that is more than likely how our grandchildren may feel when they are the same age? Shoes must be comfortable...or we cannot walk very far! Enjoy your week.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

OK the bracelet will be let out and about this week!!!!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

It is reassuring to know that I am not the only one who had skewed ideas about age :-)) I am stretching lots...not doing those dead bugs though as I have a dodgy back...working on getting my Core stronger which should help. My MOM WOULD approve of the bling!! Thank you for reminding me XO

beth b said...

Hello and belated happy birthday! You certainly do 68 proud! I'll be 65 later this year and don't want to believe it because I certainly don't feel it. I think I'm blessed with good genes, although I've been a walker all of my life and think that helps. Enjoy that bracelet!

Susan said...

Happy birthday, Leslie! I think you look lovely. I, too, used to have skewed ideas about aging (I am 65.) but today I am pretty accepting of my aging face and body. I take care of both but concentrate more on my mental well being. I practice yoga and meditation faithfully and I find I like my aging self. ❤️ I enjoy your posts and relate to much of it in my own life.

Jeannine said...

Sixty-eight looks very good on you, Leslie. A belated happy birthday!

Susan said...

Happy Birthday Leslie. I'm not old and I am almost 71--so you can't possibly be old! You look great and I love your blog.

Doré Way said...

Just adding best wishes for your next "turn around the sun".

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Let's keep that theme going...we age but don't feel OLD :-))
Walking is the best exercise...you can do it for a long time and enjoy the scenery as you move! Keep up the great habit. Take care Beth

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you Jeannine...it has been a wonderful week long celebration. Lots of great time spent with friends and family.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Your justification and rationale are spot on...71 is definitely NOT old.
Keep up the good work!
XO

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Thank you Dore...we must appreciate these "golden years" we have earned the right to be happy and hopefully we stay healthy for as long as possible.